Just finished watching Band of Brothers

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Brings tears to my eyes, what those men went through.

That was some of the best 10 hours of anything I have ever watched. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Watch the documentary with the actual soldiers on the sixth disc. Absolutely amazing.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
And the truth of it is, they had probably the easiest tour of any group of Front Line U.S. grunts.

Am I insulting them, no, but other regular Infantry units had a much much harder tour...

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Agreed.
Absolutely outstanding series.
I had planned to watch one episode each night, but after seeing the first, I couldn't stand to wait.
So I ended up watching all ten episodes over 3 nights.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Shanti
Agreed.
Absolutely outstanding series.
I had planned to watch one episode each night, but after seeing the first, I couldn't stand to wait.
So I ended up watching all ten episodes over 3 nights.

well, that was anti-climactic...

I was expecting you spending ten straight hours watching it, and barely making it through work the next day. Hrmph.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Scouzer
And the truth of it is, they had probably the easiest tour of any group of Front Line U.S. grunts.

Am I insulting them, no, but other regular Infantry units had a much much harder tour...

Good point. Other divisions were never pulled off the line for rest. And the horrors the guys in the Pacific had to deal with were even worse.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
When Winters closes the last episode with, "No, but I served in the company of heroes" I always break into tears. I can't help it.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
Is it black and white?

Nope. Color.

My dad got it and I'm gonna watch it up in the next few days. I watched around the part where they had their first jump and the movie just seemed so incredible.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
reminded me of that frigging game I played today. gave me some minor headaches! it was call of duty

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Amazing movie. Probably the best I've ever seen.

The part that really got me was in the last episode where they showed the actual vets' names and I finally realized who each of them was.

(NOTE: Yes, I know that technically it was a miniseries. Get over it.)

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
When Winters closes the last episode with, "No, but I served in the company of heroes" I always break into tears. I can't help it.

Me too.

My grandfather served in the 82nd, I wish he had been alive to watch it with me and my dad.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer

Herein lies the problem with trying to document a unit from the beginning of the war to the end. Many units had no original members left except higher officers. Easy was picked because they saw so many different areas of battle, and still had so many original members left to tell the stories.

The members themselves will readily admit they did not see the worst of the war, and that many other units were more highly decorated.

But one has to admit that when you want to tell a story, you have to have a story to tell. And Easy had that in spades with enough original members left to fill in enough details that were cross-checkable and verifiable and a widely varied experience in the ETO.

Are they any less heros because they weren't in the most action, didn't have the most causualties or weren't the most decorated? Hell no.

BTW, Blithe DID survive his wounds, and stayed in the army. He served in Korea. I have no idea why the series lied about him.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Just warning those who haven't seen it yet...the first episode might seem rather boring, thus discouraging you from watching the entire series.

Let me just say that even though it does not have as much action as the later episodes, it is key in that it develops the characters that you will be travelling with for the next 9 eps. Ep 1 is crucial not only b/c it's the first ep, but w/o it, you wouldn't have any background on the company, the officers, the setting, facts on the war, etc.

So just get through the first episode and know that afterwards, you will get more than you can chew in terms of action.

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
BTW, Blithe DID survive his wounds, and stayed in the army. He served in Korea. I have no idea why the series lied about him

It had something to do with his serial number matching the date he was shot, the producers thought that the markings on his uniforms had the date of his death on them, but in reality it was simply his serial number...or something like that