Just finished Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine a minute ago...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 25, 2006
First, if it's canon in any way then it's going to be easy. Space Marines are two shades away from the most powerful being that has ever lived in the known 40k Universe(The Emperor). Second, I enjoyed the game as well. It was fun and I felt it kept the spirit of the 40k Universe intact.

List of things that are more powerful than the average space marine

C'Tan
Daemon Princes
Most Eldar units
Necrons
Harrowing
Sorcerers

I can continue

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

C'Tan
Daemon Princes
Most Eldar units
Necrons
Harrowing
Sorcerers

I can continue

Chainfist to the face fixes all those problems.

IMG_0350.jpg

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

C'Tan
Daemon Princes
Most Eldar units
Necrons
Harrowing
Sorcerers

I can continue

Basically this.

Space Marines are tough and pretty powerful but they are really humanity's real comparable force against everyone else out in the universe. Humans in general are pretty flimsy.

It's because Ultramarines look 'cool' and even someone who isn't a fan of the series (such as myself) would probably recognize one or at least think that seeing one is seeing something familiar. It's all about mindshare.

Also there's 1000 (+ / -) chapters of space marines in the current timeline. They largely look the same with different color variations so it's not like they can't pick a different chapter without looking equally cool if not moreso with some of the more quirky chapters.

But it is true about the Ultramarines being the 'ideal' chapter. They are the standard that most mearsure themselves against. They're pretty 'dull' in comparison to other chapters but if anyone has read Know No Fear recently it is a pretty good read for a UM book and gives them a little more flavor.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm keeping (and will continue to keep) my fingers crossed for an Inquisitor CRPG. They actually made a tabletop Inquisitor game, the entire mythos of the Ordos more or less lends itself to primo RPG material.

Enough Sphess Mahreens please.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005

C'Tan
Daemon Princes
Most Eldar units
Necrons
Harrowing
Sorcerers

I can continue

Wait a sec, what?

Avatar - yes, unless your the Marneus Calgar who choked out an Avatar and he's a Space Marine.

C'Tan - OK and how many exist?

Daemon Princes - Yes

Most Eldar Units - No, according to canon a single chapter pretty much took out an entire craftworld if I remember correctly.

Necrons - No

Harrowing - no idea what that is.

Sorcerers - Space Marines have Librarians = same thing.

As long as the Space Marines are raking in the $$$ you will only see them kicking more butt. It's what keeps the the 40k Ip going.

Last edited:

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
I'm keeping (and will continue to keep) my fingers crossed for an Inquisitor CRPG. They actually made a tabletop Inquisitor game, the entire mythos of the Ordos more or less lends itself to primo RPG material.

Enough Sphess Mahreens please.

Think of it this way. All this Space Marine stuff pulls in the money so that we may actually see an Inquisitor CRPG. I woudl like to see a more fleshed out game based on Chaos Space Marines but it will never happen. Too hard to seel the "bad" guys.

Oct 25, 2006
Wait a sec, what?

Avatar - yes, unless your the Marneus Calgar who choked out an Avatar and he's a Space Marine.

C'Tan - OK and how many exist?

Daemon Princes - Yes

Most Eldar Units - No, according to canon a single chapter pretty much took out an entire craftworld if I remember correctly.

Necrons - No

Harrowing - no idea what that is.

Sorcerers - Space Marines have Librarians = same thing.

Matt Ward

Unknown.

According to canon, a single space marine killed an avatar. Individually, a trained eldar that has gone down the path of a warrior is an insane warrior more than match for any space marine.

Necrons - Their tech rips through any armor a space marine can throw at them

Harrowig - Older fluff. Basically a race of beings that took billions of lives, several dozen space marine chapters, and countless ships, and finally forced the ad mech to actually use a DAOT relic to banish.

Sorcerers are much more powerful than librarians. They have a direct connection to the warp that is amplified which librarians do not do to protect themselves from corruption

Last edited:

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Hm some brief googling brings some sparse data about the Harrowers?

They look like a mix of necron and trynid. Insectoid like bodies but with almost necron type tech incorporated onto them.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I really thought they did a very good job with this game. It is a fun romp through the 40k universe and the online is really good if you can find a room without cheaters. Lascannon ftw :p

I also bought Kill Team before this game came out and you can see where it was like the missing link between DoW and Space Marine. It is great fun as well. I have to say the 40k games coming from this team have placed them in the upper crust of digital game worlds and I look forward to their next offering.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The singleplayer is entertaining. Just don't taint your experience with the multiplayer, its really broken without any support for dedicated servers.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Do many of you think its strange that in 40k Universe ground combat happen all the time ? Usually in advanced tech setting (star trek, star wars, bsg and so on) a battle is decided in space. Which to me makes sense. Once space superiority is established, hostile ground forces can be obliterated from space. The high cost, high maintenance Space Marines would be best suited to assault and take over spaceships instead of waste in attrition battle with orcs.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Do many of you think its strange that in 40k Universe ground combat happen all the time ? Usually in advanced tech setting (star trek, star wars, bsg and so on) a battle is decided in space. Which to me makes sense. Once space superiority is established, hostile ground forces can be obliterated from space. The high cost, high maintenance Space Marines would be best suited to assault and take over spaceships instead of waste in attrition battle with orcs.

It's all about the benjamins

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Unless you're trying to capture areas intact, which seems to be the backbone of 40k. If you're trying to do that then you'll be using ground forces... and the space game version of 40k didn't sell very well

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I enjoyed playing DoW1 but the storyline was very cheesy/clichéd and the character depth was cardboard-cutout style. I'll probably play it again at some point and mute audio during the cut scenes.

Oct 25, 2006

1) Fleets tend to be weeks away from the start of major battle operations. Initial operations tend to be done by local PDF regiments, and if planets are lucky, space marine chapters in the area or Imperial Guard Units in the area.

2) Battles tend to be done over crucial areas that cannot be risked exposure to orbital bombardment.

3) Setting up support spacecraft is time consuming. After initial conflict over space, they need several more weeks to slowboat support craft into friendly space.

4) They do use Space Marines for boarding actions. In the case of the game, the Space Marines needed to take out a high value target, the Ork Warboss, and secure objectives that the local Guard simply didn't have the manpower to do so. You never fight the bulk of the Ork army. The Guard are doing the dying to buy you time while you wreck havok.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Started this over the weekend and it's pretty cool in small doses. The combat is visceral but extremely shallow unfortunately. If the action was a little more God of Warsy I think it would have added a lot to the game.

Even so, it is cool just being an Ultramarine. They've got a 'knights of solamnia' quality to them almost, it's interesting being a super powerful warrior who isn't dark and brooding for once.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Matt Ward

Unknown.

According to canon, a single space marine killed an avatar. Individually, a trained eldar that has gone down the path of a warrior is an insane warrior more than match for any space marine.

Necrons - Their tech rips through any armor a space marine can throw at them

Harrowig - Older fluff. Basically a race of beings that took billions of lives, several dozen space marine chapters, and countless ships, and finally forced the ad mech to actually use a DAOT relic to banish.

Sorcerers are much more powerful than librarians. They have a direct connection to the warp that is amplified which librarians do not do to protect themselves from corruption

And bigger Tyranids. ;)