Just finished Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine a minute ago...

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
...AND DAMN IT WAS A BLAST!!!!

One of the best action games I played in a long time. fun combat with gory combos, cool story brah, nice controls, effing awesome game and experience even if it just took me 8 hours to finished (according to Steam)!

Bought the game on a Steam sale at $15 and I would have paid double and would have the same opinion now.

Had a blast and recommend it to every who love action games and above all, W40K fans!

Ok, now i'm off to start Darksiders :p

Last edited:

silvan4now

Oct 4, 2011
don't know; a big fan of the series but this was like : installed, played 3 hours, uninstall

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
It was alright but far too short. The bolter and storm bolters felt pretty darn epic.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
I agree, it was a pretty fun game but very short. I just went around thunder hammering everyone. :)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah game was too short. Also bolters aren't machine guns, but that's just me nitpicking. >_>

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I enjoyed this game as well, finished it like a few weeks ago.

Start game, play a couple of hours, kill kill, have fun, turn off. Next day if one feels like a bit more.

There was only a couple of areas late game that I actually had to repeat.

Captured really well the lore of Warhammer 40k in my opinion.

It is a game that evoked similar feelings to Painkiller (with the obvious gameplay/gamestyle differences) - no commitments, pure fun (as long as you don't play it for like hours straight one, where it might become a bit repetitive).

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I had a blast with this game as well. Something about just ripping through hordes of greenskins that is satisfying.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I played this a while ago and thought it was pure visceral fun but pretty short. Just like Duke Nukem, Painkiller and Bulletstorm. A type of game you jump in, blow stuff up, get the story as you play, huge world consequence, then all done. I think I put about 8 total hours into the game.

But it was fun as hell while it lasted!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I have it on my account but yet to play it. The DoW2 games are the only "RTS" games I have played in a LONG time, and I like the story. I'm looking forward to playing this as well.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
It's on my backlog of games to buy. Nice thing about a backlog is that I can wait to buy stuff cheap. Bad thing is I'm still accumulating games faster than I play them :O I played the demo and enjoyed myself. The combos/weapons feel & look awesome.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
One of very few games I preordered last year and it was well worth it to me. I enjoyed the hell out of the game and had a big grin on my face the entire time I played it, was well worth the money.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Love the feeling when your walking and running in the huge and awesome Ultramarin armor. You know you're a powerhouse ready to unleash tons of lead in the face of the enemies of mankind.

My favorite moment was
when you thought you were gonna fight the Orc boss and Nemeroth the Chaos Lord appears...damn 1000s thumbs up to the design team, this guy is WTF amazing!

Final boss was too easy too but cool fight.

But yeah, too short though.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I thought the demo was really good but I still haven't picked it up, so much else in the 'to play' list already.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
The best part IMO was when
you get betrayed by your sgt. Yea thanks bro. I just kicked the ass of a chaos lord so that must make me tainted by chaos. The look on his face was not amused lol. And yes I understand that they tried to explain it because he was not affected by the warp.

The only thing that I didn't like was that the storyline conflicted with canon and GWS took the lazy way out and said that this happens in an 'alternate' version of the WH40K universe :thumbsdown:

According to the timeline, the time that your character is Captain of the 2nd company for the ultramarines conflicts with the captancy of another Captain which is Captain Sicarius (who is a major major badass and their current captain)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawik...l_of_Damnos.JPG/250px-Cato_Fall_of_Damnos.JPG

Prior to him was another captain that GWS had recognized so there is not much room for your character to become captain.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I don't understand why Relic didn't just use their own Blood Ravens chapter... I thought the whole point of using some obscure chapter with no real history was to give Relic a wide berth on the whole story aspect of the games (all of the DOW games and such).

Why go with Ultramarines now?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
They probably went with the Ultramarines because they are the poster boys for space marines and are most recognizable

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Also I don't think they wanted to use Blood Ravens for all their storylines. Any fan of the series would love to see a well known chapter in the games since it's pretty awesome to see major characters you read about 'come to life'

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Also I don't think they wanted to use Blood Ravens for all their storylines. Any fan of the series would love to see a well known chapter in the games since it's pretty awesome to see major characters you read about 'come to life'

-Well seeing how this took place in an "alternate timeline" to account for the absence of Captain Sicarus, wtf is the point?

Kaotik:
Ultramarines still don't make sense. If the player is a 40K fan, then they're going to be aware of some of the other major chapters (and probably like them way more). If the player knows 40K through the DOW series, than the Blood Ravens are the most recognizable, and if the player has no idea what 40K is... who cares WHAT chapter they use.

Its a shame Smurfs have to be the golden boys chapter. So boring. They need to make something with some Blood Angels or Dark Angels. Or Space Wolves... yes... Space Wolves.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
-Well seeing how this took place in an "alternate timeline" to account for the absence of Captain Sicarus, wtf is the point?

Kaotik:
Ultramarines still don't make sense. If the player is a 40K fan, then they're going to be aware of some of the other major chapters (and probably like them way more). If the player knows 40K through the DOW series, than the Blood Ravens are the most recognizable, and if the player has no idea what 40K is... who cares WHAT chapter they use.

Its a shame Smurfs have to be the golden boys chapter. So boring. They need to make something with some Blood Angels or Dark Angels. Or Space Wolves... yes... Space Wolves.

Well Ultramarines are suppose to be the space marines chapter that the other chapters judge themselves against. If you go into a GW store or any store that sells their products, all the space marine miniatures boxes are all done up with Ultramarine as well as the space marine codex. Even their space marine movie is called Ultramarines. Ultramarines have just been pushed as the figure head of what a SM is suppose to be basically.

I agree, I would have loved to see pretty much any other chapter, because Ultramarines are so damn stuck up on the codex astartes that the only way for them to be interesting is to have one of them go against its teachings at times.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Kaotik:

grey knights > *

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
It's because Ultramarines look 'cool' and even someone who isn't a fan of the series (such as myself) would probably recognize one or at least think that seeing one is seeing something familiar. It's all about mindshare.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
First, if it's canon in any way then it's going to be easy. Space Marines are two shades away from the most powerful being that has ever lived in the known 40k Universe(The Emperor). Second, I enjoyed the game as well. It was fun and I felt it kept the spirit of the 40k Universe intact.

Last edited: