Just finished Mass Effect 2...now what?

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Well, finished it and chose to continue playing just to see what else there is...however I have finished all assignments and missions that I know of...is that it?

Also, looking online there seems to be 2 intimate scenes with Jack in the game, Ive only seen one right before the Omega 4 relay...is there anything I can do to get the other or was that just a talking/decision thing and only 1 appears in the game depending on word choices. Ive also noticed that after beating the game theres no new conversation choices for Jack, so is that it? I mean, I know its a game so its not infinite in choices, just seems kinda whack that we fucked then thats that, ya know?

Also, if anyone knows, is there any chance at having other relationships? I see that Kelly and Tali are possible, as is Garrus (big WTF!) and possibly Miranda...once the game is beat however Im guessing theres no way to get those. I went to Tali and told her I wanted to be exclusive, she told me to tell Jack, but again, nothing new conversation wise...

I mean, I love the game and the world it gives you to explore, I just dont what it to end, is there anything else to do or do I just wait for Mass Effect 3?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Holy SHit!
Already?

Makes me not wanna get it, at least not until it goes on sale.
Going through a 2nd run of ME1 right now and am remembering why it was such a grind the first time. The story is not making up for the crappy combat and mind-numbing driving.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Yeah, I can understand that...to me ME2 is a world of difference compared to ME1...I mean, the RPG elements are lacking in ME2, which doesnt bother me at all, but the gun play, characters, enviroments, story...Everything about ME2 is better in my opinion, except for the RPG elements, which I didnt like in the first one so thats a plus for me.

The game did seem a bit short...it says I have 60 hours played, but I kept the game running over night for like 2 nights, so take away roughly 30 hours or so (I like sleep and didnt always play as soon as I got up, etc.) the game clocks in at about 30 hours or so...and this is playing EVERY side mission and listening to all conversations to the fullest. So main story line I would say BARELY breaks 10 hours at best. Kinda a down fall, but the game is that good.

Im just curious as to what happens now that Ive beat it...I dont think theres anything left to do, which gives me a empty feeling. First game in a while Ive finished and first game I actually liked...save the human race, blow up the Collectors...back to real life...sigh...when are we going to get a Matrix? lol...

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I hear you. The game is fun, and probably one of my favorites.. but once you've played it you don't want to deal with the dialog a second or third time through. There really isn't a whole lot that can be done about it; that's just how the game works.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing for an addon though is some kind of random mission generator. ... Like a job board that you get payed credits or get resources or technology or something. So if I want to just have some fun for a while I can just take some random missions and blow stuff up.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
I hear you. The game is fun, and probably one of my favorites.. but once you've played it you don't want to deal with the dialog a second or third time through. There really isn't a whole lot that can be done about it; that's just how the game works.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing for an addon though is some kind of random mission generator. ... Like a job board that you get payed credits or get resources or technology or something. So if I want to just have some fun for a while I can just take some random missions and blow stuff up.

See, I must admit that I played with unlimited credits and resources...only because I mean, damn, Im working for Cerberus, and they have unlimited money/resources...so why should I have to work for creds and resources when they should ALREADY be provided. Call it an excuse for cheating, but if I were Sheppard and needed the best equipment and upgrades Id be bitching up a storm because Id have to pay for saving the human race! So as far as credits and resources go, Im done with that too.

I guess theres nothing left to do...damn.

I did find out that in my private quarters I can call Jack up and we can chill in the bed or couch...but thats it, no talking or anything...kinda lame really and I dont see the point, but I guess its better than nothing and at least shows that there is a relationship/bonding there? Wonder how this will effect anything in Mass Effect 3.

I can say that I hope Mass Effect 3 is as awesome...I just want it to be longer and more indepth!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Like any scripted games, once you finish it maybe two or three times you end up memorizing everything by heart and the replay value is completely gone. If BioWare could release an official editing tool for both ME1 and ME2 then the replay value would become nearly infinite, as long as the community releases mods left and right, at the moment Dragon Age: Origins is very much benefiting from such a situation, there's lots of mods for it, some of them are very good, unfortunately ME1 and ME2, and quite probably ME3 as well don't and won't have anything like that, you beat it once, it's fun, then you try maybe one or two other times, and then you're pretty much done with it for months, that's at least how it works for me and scripted games without either mods support or on-line features.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Yeah, thats why I dont feel the need to play it again...sure some things will turn out different, but the end effect would be the same. That, and Im not a mean spirited person, so playing through again as Renegade really isnt appealing to me as it is others. I maxed out my Paragon on the first play through and like it like that.

Oh well, I guess my hopes for more game after beating it are lost...too bad...

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
If BioWare this time can live up to their promise then we should get DLCs or even perhaps one expansion pack with events occurring after the end of ME2 to help link them to ME3. The thing is that BioWare said the same thing for ME1... and we ended up getting two DLCs, only one of which was merely decent (Bring Down the Sky). Now that EA can temper with BioWare however I have no doubt that we'll be seeing more DLC content, but will that content have anything meaningful in terms of the story arc development? Or will the DLC(s) only offer new items and new levels? Time will tell. In the meantime you can always play it again to try to come up with the "best ending", namely saving all your party members and the Normandy's entire crew, which I had to do on my second play-through.

Now that I beat it for a second time however I don't feel like playing it again simply because there's nothing left to do. I think that ME2 should have some sort of an "arena" type of game-play mode within the game itself and not separately to it, that would consist of simply using the Galaxy Map like for any other traveling purposes to get to a "new" or perhaps already existing planet on which we can land, and then there could be randomly spawning enemies to fight for pure fun, without necessarily giving experience or "end mission" reports to the Illusive Man, just to give us a reason to launch the game again and again... but even then... I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
If BioWare this time can live up to their promise then we should get DLCs or even perhaps one expansion pack with events occurring after the end of ME2 to help link them to ME3. The thing is that BioWare said the same thing for ME1... and we ended up getting two DLCs, only one of which was merely decent (Bring Down the Sky). Now that EA can temper with BioWare however I have no doubt that we'll be seeing more DLC content, but will that content have anything meaningful in terms of the story arc development? Or will the DLC(s) only offer new items and new levels? Time will tell. In the meantime you can always play it again to try to come up with the "best ending", namely saving all your party members and the Normandy's entire crew, which I had to do on my second play-through.

Now that I beat it for a second time however I don't feel like playing it again simply because there's nothing left to do. I think that ME2 should have some sort of an "arena" type of game-play mode within the game itself and not separately to it, that would consist of simply using the Galaxy Map like for any other traveling purposes to get to a "new" or perhaps already existing planet on which we can land, and then there could be randomly spawning enemies to fight for pure fun, without necessarily giving experience or "end mission" reports to the Illusive Man, just to give us a reason to launch the game again and again... but even then... I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea.

I doubt that DLC will have anything important pertaining to the events and connection to Mass Effect 3...mainly because not everyone that plays ME2 can or is willing to have DLC...some with no internet, or can't afford DLC if it costs $...so if there is DLC for ME2 (more than there is now) I highly doubt it will be anything major or influential to the over all story line or game.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
It really sucks that there isn't more to do with the game. I love the game.. but damnit.
I bought 2 Mass Effect books a while back, I think "Revelation" and "Ascension".. maybe I'll read them.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I mean, the RPG elements are lacking in ME2
Only if you think the inventory management minigame = RPG. ME2 has better role-playing than ME1, or pretty much any other game (besides, perhaps, Dragon Age).

Anyway, there's the comic book series -- but that's set between ME1 and ME2.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Yeah, thats true...ME1 was just annoying with its "RPG" system...never quite understood it, but honestly besides it being there I saw no point...even the Biotic powers...beat all of ME2 without using a SINGLE Biotic power the entire game...

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Role-playing wise, it's actually quite shallow. No conversation skills, essentially every mission is an unavoidable gunfight, very limited customization options.

Mechanically, there's just not all that much there.

Which isn't to say it's a bad game - it's not. But in the Action<->RPG spectra, it's far more an action game with a few limited rpg elements then an actual RPG.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
I cant completely agree. Renegade and Paragon points effect conversations to the point of having a normal out come or good or bad out come depending on certain conversation choices (eg. red or blue conversation lines). Every mission is not a gun fight and I would say that with the main missions and side missions it would have to be about a 50/50 ratio of casual to gun fight missions.

I would never classify this as a RPG game at all...a very good action game with some character customization elements is all.

Still one of the best games Ive ever played. Wouldnt go through it again, at least not for a while after Ive forgotten some of the key elements.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
30 hours and you did EVERYTHING? You scanned each and every planet in every system to 100&#37; and completed all the missions you find by scanning, you researched every weapon and ship upgrade?

I barely scratched the surface of all the sidequest stuff (except my team member's quests) and I have over 30 hours clocked in.