Just exactly how do Cruise Missiles land in Turkey and Saudi Arabi and did this happen in Gulf War 1

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Nothing like pissing in a bees nest of America Haters.... geesh...

What causes a cruise missile to crash into Saudi Arabia ON Accident???

Can the guidance systems really malfunction that badly??

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
This kind of stuff happened in the first gulf war as well. All things can malfunction. Are you trying to tell me your computer has never had an error? You have never had a BSOD? Anyway, what also can happen is a missile gets hit by antiaircraft fire and then malfunctions and hits somewhere it shouldn't......

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
Nothing like pissing in a bees nest of America Haters.... geesh...

What causes a cruise missile to crash into Saudi Arabia ON Accident???

Can the guidance systems really malfunction that badly??

Probably because we have fired alot more of them. The error rate is still well below 1%.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
It is just scary to imagine something with such destructive power malfunctioning.. I am not trying to bash the military.. just seemed odd.. but when put in terms of BSODs and all I can understand a bit more clearly ..

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It is just scary to imagine something with such destructive power malfunctioning.. I am not trying to bash the military.. just seemed odd.. but when put in terms of BSODs and all I can understand a bit more clearly ..

Fortunatly they do not arm until they get close to their target.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

Wow... so does this mean as soon as we know it has malfunctioned we can attempt to communicate with the missile and insure it will not explode?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Wow... so does this mean as soon as we know it has malfunctioned we can attempt to communicate with the missile and insure it will not explode?

I think this is quite possible. I assume it also depends on how bad the malfunction is.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
An old girlfriend of mine worked for Raytheon on these Tomahawk cruise missiles, and you guys will never believe it. They use Windows ME operating system. And you wonder why they sometimes malfunction.......
rolleye.gif

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Jmman
An old girlfriend of mine worked for Raytheon on these Tomahawk cruise missiles, and you guys will never believe it. They use Windows ME operating system. And you wonder why they sometimes malfunction.......
rolleye.gif

I really doubt that as the first rev tomahawks were built before ME was available....

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I was just kidding. :) She never really discussed much about them due to security restrictions.

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
Lots of dud bombs and shells in WW I and II with no electronics to spoof or malfunction.

Some still get unearthed from time to time, and some of those can then go active. :(

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: tenoc
Lots of dud bombs and shells in WW I and II with no electronics to spoof or malfunction.

Some still get unearthed from time to time, and some of those can then go active. :(

I guy I work with spent some time in the past 10 years getting rid of WWII mines and munitions.