Just curious, was Porter Goss not telling the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
We now know a lot about the history of the hunt for bin Laden.

The following is a 2005 story, where CIA Director Porter Goss claimed he had 'an excellent idea' where bin Laden was hiding.

His comments seem to fit well the issue with Pakistan, as if he did know - but contradict the timeline we've heard, that during these years it was a cold hunt only heating up in the last year finally identifying a location. So it would seem that either Goss was on a false lead we haven't heard about, or not telling the truth, or we've had a lot more info for at least six years that we've been told.

It's just a curiosity, given the info we have.

CIA Director Porter Goss says he has an "excellent idea" where Osama bin Laden is hiding, but that the al Qaeda chief will not be caught until weak links in the war on terrorism are strengthened.

In an interview with TIME magazine published Sunday, Goss said part of the difficulty in capturing bin Laden was "sanctuaries in sovereign nations."

The magazine asked Goss when bin Laden would be captured.

"That is a question that goes far deeper than you know," he said. "In the chain that you need to successfully wrap up the war on terror, we have some weak links. And I find that until we strengthen all the links, we're probably not going to be able to bring Mr. bin Laden to justice.

"We are making very good progress on it. But when you go to the very difficult question of dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states, you're dealing with a problem of our sense of international obligation, fair play.

"We have to find a way to work in a conventional world in unconventional ways that are acceptable to the international community.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The compound that Osama was found in was built in 2004ish.

It is very unlikely that he was in that one place the entire time and we knew he was there.

I am far more likely to believe the official story that we followed the couriers for years and eventually got lucky.

Most likely Goss' story is one of "we know he is hiding and that people are helping him hide or warning him every time we locate him and until they stop helping him or we find him without anyone else knowing we won't be able to capture him"

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I believe there are many things happening out there that we, the general public, don't know about nor have a need to know. I like it that way.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I believe there are many things happening out there that we, the general public, don't know about nor have a need to know. I like it that way.
Yet you seem to know everything about what happened in the Osama raid... including the planning and the orders given. Oh wait, you're just a fucking liar.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
He probably had a good sense that OBL was hiding somewhere in Pakistan but didn't exactly know where. For years, we heard that he was likely in the border regions, like North Wazuristan. They had the country right, but the locale wrong.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Yet you seem to know everything about what happened in the Osama raid... including the planning and the orders given. Oh wait, you're just a fucking liar.

Why yes I am. Thank you for noticing.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Interesting bit, but I don't think we can really know until Goss tells us what he had in mind.

My guess is Goss was thinking somewhere else, if so I don't think we'll every know if he right. UBL is dead and can't tell us where he was then.

Fern

Status
Not open for further replies.