Just changed the pollen filter in my car..

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
For the first time since i've owned the car (3 years), and i suspect ever (its a 5 year old car)..

I was quite disgusted by what i saw to be honest, i was breathing air through this!

Heres the new one installed, i should have taken a picture before but forgot, and didn't want to take it back out and inside to get a picture..

Text

Here's the old one.. It is supposed to be brilliant white, like the box its on. It was also quite heavy.. Near enough a kilo i'd guess, whereas the old one was only about 100grams.. The thing must have been a health hazard!

Text

Text

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
i just changed mine for the first time in 4 years. it was truly nasty. i'll be changing it at least once a year from now on.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Changed mines a few weeks ago. I have to change it roughly every 3 months because I work in a Botanical garden and it makes an absolute mess if I leave it any longer. Plus, it amazes me how much better the AC smells (rather a lack of any smell at all) after I change it. :)

I had my air filter changed last week at scheduled oil change too, I wish I could have seen that. lol

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Funny I just ordered a replacement last week but haven't put it in yet. I think I'll do mine when I get home lol

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I think you folks getting concerned with the filters ought to consider either staying in your basement or, move the hell out of pollution filled cities.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
I think you folks getting concerned with the filters ought to consider either staying in your basement or, move the hell out of pollution filled cities.

Wow, you're so cool! :roll:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I had to buy the cabin air filter kit online and install it myself in my Jeep GC. Chrysler dealer had no clue how to install the kit or how to change the filter.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mb

No, just different priorities. Instead of thinking, 'ooh, I better check my pollen filter more often,' I'd be thinking what the hell am I doing living in a place with such crappy air?

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002

No, just different priorities. Instead of thinking, 'ooh, I better check my pollen filter more often,' I'd be thinking what the hell am I doing living in a place with such crappy air?

Its a good thing you have a filter to remove this stuff, right? Honestly, this was filtering the air so you were still getting clean air, but probably not as much clean air as with a clean filter.

If you drive your car down a dirt road or behind a diesel truck it will start to turn dark.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004

Wow, you're so smart! :roll:

Yes, you?re right. I think it would be much better for everyone to quit their job, put their kids in a new school system, leave behind friends and family and move to a cleaner city than it would be to spend $15 and 5 minutes on simple auto maintenance. Never mind the fact that if everyone moved it would make the city dirtier.

If you drive more than 5,000 miles a year, have had your car for more than a year, and ever use your a/c or heat in your car, I can guarantee that your filter is dirty no matter where you live.

Also, where do you live where there is no dust, no dirt, no other cars but yours, and no pollen? Sounds boring.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I've never changed mine. I have no idea where the cabin filters are and I imagine I'd need to remove part of the dash to get to it.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
thats not nasty at all, I have seen mice that get in there. Wet leafs that get all moldy. Yours is just all black nasty but not that bad :p

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
I've never changed mine. I have no idea where the cabin filters are and I imagine I'd need to remove part of the dash to get to it.

Hrm, same here. I've been smelling a moldy smell coming from the vents lately though in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think I may look into replacing this filter. Didn't even know I had one until I clicked this thread. :confused:

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
i did this on my car the other day, for me its recommended every 15k. wasn't terrible looking but i replaced it on time....its only 15$ filter. stealership wants 90$ to replace it tho loLLLLL