Just Cause Multiplayer 2 beta weekend.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Did anyone else partake in this madness of a beta weekend?

Holy crap it was hilariously fun, never have I seen so many players on the same screen... in the upwards of hundreds, with next to zero lag.

Somehow this runs better than any MMO i've ever played.

It is just pure chaos, loads of fun. I suggest keeping an eye on it and getting in on the next beta weekend for it.

Some of the shenanigans I was a part of.
-Spawn in the airport, only to get instantly blown up, along with maybe 20 or 30 other people.
-Spawn there again, but grapple up onto a wall, turn around and blow up the people blowing people up. Get sniped, go back, get sniper, etc
Grapple onto a plane taking off, blow it up and die, while killing the guy inside. The ensuing crash killed a few people too.
-Grapple two planes together, promptly blowing them up, killing everyone around them
-grapple a car onto a plane and go for a ride inside the car, as the plane flies around.
-Everyone climbed to the top of a radio tower and base jumped off it at the same time. On the way down, shooting out people parachutes was hilariously fun

It was pure chaos, and a load of fun.

Oh, also its free (the mod) and the game was 5 bucks during the last steam sale.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
I played for a bit, had to lower my graphical settings A LOT to get it to run decently, but it was a lot of fun. At some point the MP client crashed on me tho and I was never able to get back in, it would start, I would hit connect, the screen would go black and then it would drop to the desktop again. Dunno if that means the server was full or whatever. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Huh... I had no slow downs at all, and played it straight for a few hours with no problem.

I tried running it through Steam, but that wouldn't work at all though.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Yeah, I thought it was maybe my PC, I usually run JC2 SP at 1920x1080 maxed and have no issues, but I had to turn off a lot of the custom effect and boot the resolution down a bit to make it not act weird. I tried it in SP after I was done with MP, and didn't have any of the problems with the graphics and resolution in SP, so I dunno.

Still fun tho, if that's the worst problem I had, I would totally put up with it. Hopefully they have something to release to the public a month or two, I'd love to play it with 5-10 friends on a private server I can run myself.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I had some fun this weekend with it as well, cant wait till its released and has all of its bugs fixed.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
One big thing they need to remove/fix.

They need to add ammo to the game and get rid of infinite ammo.

Cause if you spawn with a rocket launcher, you basically win the game.

Its a lot of fun to win though :p

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
One big thing they need to remove/fix.

They need to add ammo to the game and get rid of infinite ammo.

Cause if you spawn with a rocket launcher, you basically win the game.

Its a lot of fun to win though :p

It's just beta, so the dev is changing things up with different releases to see what works and what doesn't. Before there was limited ammo, but they haven't figured out how to respawn ammo pickups and such so once you're out you were out. This way was a lot more entertaining. Plus since there's not much else to do right now, there's really nothing to "win"... so I'm not sure what you mean.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I watched a few videos of the multiplayer, but haven't tried it.

I've got a feeling this will go the way of the GTA multiplayer that was user-created... looks cool, and fun for a couple of hours, but ultimately not much of a 'game' to it, just free roaming.

Would be kick-ass if the dev's helped them out, so that an actual game type could be created, like faction wars or something that required objectives like destroying things. Doubt it would ever happen though.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I tried it for the first time this weekend. It was a blast to see so many people all over the place. Not much of a game yet, but plenty of action and chaos. I spent a lot of time flying in planes and helis shooting everything in sight.

The ground combat and weapons don't seem to be fully implemented yet, but I didn't expect much from an early alpha. The netcode seems impressive considering how many players were online. I didn't have to turn my settings down at all from single player.

It has a lot of potential once they work out the weapon balance and maybe add some team goals, like capture points or something.

I played for a bit, had to lower my graphical settings A LOT to get it to run decently, but it was a lot of fun. At some point the MP client crashed on me tho and I was never able to get back in.

They booted everyone off, restarted the server and put up new client builds to download multiple times during the weekend. Maybe you missed one of the updates.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
Big fan of JC2 had no idea that a multiplayer mod was in the works, cant imagine it will appeal to the ladder crowd but I actually find that to be a plus. The gameplay possibilities in single player were a sight to behold if it runs well enough to support lots of people and huge maps it should be a riot!

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
It's just beta, so the dev is changing things up with different releases to see what works and what doesn't. Before there was limited ammo, but they haven't figured out how to respawn ammo pickups and such so once you're out you were out. This way was a lot more entertaining. Plus since there's not much else to do right now, there's really nothing to "win"... so I'm not sure what you mean.

By win I mean destroy everything and have loadsa fun

So, I guess the unlimited ammo works great, rofl