Just Cause 2 demo out now

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Can get it on Steam, suppose to be a very large demo.

Doesn't support XP, needs DX10

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Wow. The first game has got nothing on this one. I'm very impressed, it looks like they did this one right. My demo time lasted about an hour, so I got to do quite a few things in the game just in my first play through. The biggest thing I was hoping for was a better grappling hook, and they gave us one that is perfect. You no longer have to switch to it by scrolling, just press f. You can use it to zip from one spot to another, even just using the ground.

The cars control way better now, and there was even a dune buggy that was a blast to drive. The motorcycles no longer spin out from holding left or right for more than half a second, and they are real easy to handle. Stealing a vehicle from one of the police just before yours is about to blow while driving is a lot of fun. There is a lot more open space this time to actually get some speed driving, without having to stick to the road. Also, hitting other cars and other things on the road doesn't result in your car just coming to a complete stop. One thing I didn't like was the helicopter controls. It could have just been because I was flying a huge one (don't know what it would be used for, maybe carrying things/rescues) but it flew really really slow and was very unresponsive. You also can't turn it without moving your mouse to the side of the screen, and even that doesn't work very well, because just holding it there doesn't result in a constant turn, you have to repeatedly drag your mouse left-right left-right left-right (or vice versa)

Graphically it looks pretty damn good, and ran really well with my Q6600, 8800gtx and 4gb ram. No major bugs, or anything.

I'm not sure how the size of the map compares to the first one though. They first game was HUGE, but had very little variety, so it's hard to tell. I'd say this game is probably smaller size wise, but has way more variety and content in it.

Another thing I don't really like about it is that there is one button that is assigned to l-alt. I hate having to use l-alt but I can't really find a suitable place on my keyboard to assign it since everything is basically being used already. I guess I will just have to learn to use it. Besides that, the controls are pretty good, and were quick and easy to get used to.

Didn't mean to write that much lol.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Had never heard of this game until my roommate showed me a gameplay demo of it earlier. It looks like a lot of fun.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I highly recommend playing this with a 360 controller. It's perfect for the game.

Wonderful fun all around. Definitely going to pick this up.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I highly recommend playing this with a 360 controller. It's perfect for the game.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??? I have PC - I want PC controls!! :)

Wow..extremely fast download today - I wonder if STEAM's servers are excluded from Comcrapsts auto-bottleneck speed reduction service? :)

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
Store STILL hasn't updated on PSN, and EU demo is downloading unbelievably slow, so I am now downloading the STEAM demo. I hope the keyboard controls don't kill it, as this seems to be a controller game.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
So I tried playing it again. This time I had constant frame rate drops, practically playing at around 20fps the whole time, and it crashed when I unlocked the mission.

Both of these issues could be problems with my pc though, I've been having issues ever since upgrading to Windows 7.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've seen some game-play videos of it on YouTube, never heard of it before, it looks like a mix between FarCry 2, GTA and Crysis... in third person, with horrible character body animations. I think I'll wait for the general consensus before making any decisions, but at first glance it ain't very convincing.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
No. The game is locked at 30fps for some reason. Run D3DOverrider and force triple buffering if you have Vsync-ON or do it through the nvidia control panel, then it should speed things up.

I have no problems with it. Runs speedily and looks quite good.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
Yep, this is a controller game. Going to try again on PC. The driving kept pausing for me, similar to RF:G issues...I think it may have been purposely though as it seemed every time I got even a minimal amount of air it would do it.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Wow. The first game has got nothing on this one. I'm very impressed, it looks like they did this one right. My demo time lasted about an hour, so I got to do quite a few things in the game just in my first play through. The biggest thing I was hoping for was a better grappling hook, and they gave us one that is perfect. You no longer have to switch to it by scrolling, just press f. You can use it to zip from one spot to another, even just using the ground.

The cars control way better now, and there was even a dune buggy that was a blast to drive. The motorcycles no longer spin out from holding left or right for more than half a second, and they are real easy to handle. Stealing a vehicle from one of the police just before yours is about to blow while driving is a lot of fun. There is a lot more open space this time to actually get some speed driving, without having to stick to the road. Also, hitting other cars and other things on the road doesn't result in your car just coming to a complete stop. One thing I didn't like was the helicopter controls. It could have just been because I was flying a huge one (don't know what it would be used for, maybe carrying things/rescues) but it flew really really slow and was very unresponsive. You also can't turn it without moving your mouse to the side of the screen, and even that doesn't work very well, because just holding it there doesn't result in a constant turn, you have to repeatedly drag your mouse left-right left-right left-right (or vice versa)

Graphically it looks pretty damn good, and ran really well with my Q6600, 8800gtx and 4gb ram. No major bugs, or anything.

I'm not sure how the size of the map compares to the first one though. They first game was HUGE, but had very little variety, so it's hard to tell. I'd say this game is probably smaller size wise, but has way more variety and content in it.

Another thing I don't really like about it is that there is one button that is assigned to l-alt. I hate having to use l-alt but I can't really find a suitable place on my keyboard to assign it since everything is basically being used already. I guess I will just have to learn to use it. Besides that, the controls are pretty good, and were quick and easy to get used to.

Didn't mean to write that much lol.

Wow sounds brilliant thanks for the heads-up. I loved the first game so will almost certainly get his. I heard if you pre-order you get loads of extra stuff too - like Rico's signature gun - does that mean you don't get all that stuff otherwise? Seems a bit harsh.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bionic Commando + Mercenaries 2 is what this game is all about. :)

I did notice what appeared to be a slowdown every now and then - maybe graphics/game data loading into video memory - but didn't take away from the fun.

30 minute time limit is idiotic - you're limited to 1 area - so..why? Weird...

The video showcase what is in the full version indicates the world map is HUGE.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
There's a crack to remove the 30 minute limit and also the wall barriers (though the outside doesn't really load correctly) if you need more time to figure out if you want to buy it or not.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
This game looks to be absolutely brilliant from a sandbox play standpoint. Some of the game trailers depict some hilarious acts - roping an enemy to a pressurized gas bottle and igniting it, roping enemies to vehicles, etc. This game finally might drive me to upgrading my video card so I can enjoy it (and other games of course) with all the bells and whistles turned on.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Is anyone having issues with controller lag (mouse/keyboard/360 controller/etc)? I know I am. The PS3 demo doesn't have much of an issue with this.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

Agreed. Much more fun/easy to control with the xbox controller. And I am a hardcore mouse keyboard guy.