Question Just bought this but can't get it to stream 4k videos without buffering sometimes is that just going to happen and I should accept it ?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks already saw that but how do i use two bands ?

Set different SSID for 2.4G & 5G channels of your router.

4K stream require at least 25-30 Mbps. If your Wireless WD Passport Pro/ PC / smartphone / tablet can't get a consistent & steady wifi signal, you won't get consistent 4K video stream.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
WD Wireless Pro is a normal external USB portable hard drive with Wireless nettworking.

What is your router brand / model? How far is your WD Pro and PC from the router? What's the connection speed?

If you can't even giving out some basic info, how can anyone help?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
WD Wireless Pro is a normal external USB portable hard drive with Wireless nettworking.

What is your router brand / model? How far is your WD Pro and PC from the router? What's the connection speed?

If you can't even giving out some basic info, how can anyone help?

I am connecting it directly to my iPad or iPhone over wireless 5 Ghz. This is how I will use it when out and about.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If that's the case, and the WD is close to your iPad / iPhone, it shouldn't be a problem. Contact WD support.

And watch this (file transfer), not video viewing.

Last edited:

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Thinking about just trying the SSD version instead to see if it fixes the problem. Browsing the drive is a little slow and I know for sure the SSD version would help with that. Not sure about the buffering though.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Thinking about just trying the SSD version instead to see if it fixes the problem. Browsing the drive is a little slow and I know for sure the SSD version would help with that. Not sure about the buffering though.
What APP do you use to view/play back 4K videos?

4K video viewing actually doesn't use much bandwidth on 5G channel.

HDD version should be fast enough to do 4K video streaming.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Here the kicker it only does it on some 4k video files others seem to play fine even if they are bigger in size. Weird.

This has to do with the transcoder.
Unless its doing a direct stream to device, and your device is then transcoding the stream.

Either way the weakest link is either the unit hosting the file, or the unit playing the file.

Streaming 4K is not easy, especially if its .MKV 10bit HVEC file.
You would need something like a dedicated plex / kodi / emby host server with decent hardware if you want 100% playback without it freezing to buffer from time to time.

Example, my family members wanted foriegn subtitles which plex has, and it is a SMI.
SMI + 4K content means i need a dedicated transcoder hardware.
I was forced to get a Nivida Quadro P2000 just to do that. (FML) 400 dollar videocard just so they can watch my movies in foreign subtitles.

4K content is not easy to stream, unless your doing a direct stream from a NAS to PC.

Reactions: mxnerd