Question Just bought Samsung AU8000 43" PS5 says TV does not support HDR (Help)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
So I just bought a Samsung AU8000 yesterday but the PS5 says "This TV does not support HDR" I have tried for 30 minutes every setting on the TV but I really don't see how to fix this. Can anyone help? I tried Google and can find nothing. This TV is supposed to have HDR even if its garbage lol

Thanks in advanced!

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
What known and accepted HDR standard does it support?

My Avera 40" 4K60 HDTV from 2018-ish, claims to support HDR, but it does not do so via any of the known standards, so effectively, it doesn't really support HDR.
I am sorry but I don't have the information. This is the first 4k TV I ever buy lol. I was reading on reddit someone mention what you said that there is a way that even tho its advertised as HDR it might not be effectively HDR which makes sense

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that the two common standards are "HDR10" and "Dolby Vision". If the box doesn't say either of those things, then you're probably SOL for your PS5, sorry.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I think that the two common standards are "HDR10" and "Dolby Vision". If the box doesn't say either of those things, then you're probably SOL for your PS5, sorry.
Beyond that he may need to enable an HDR mode or "deep color" mode or similar in the TV settings before it'll accept an HDR input signal.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Beyond that he may need to enable an HDR mode or "deep color" mode or similar in the TV settings before it'll accept an HDR input signal.
I just got the same reply on Reddit "he may need to enable an HDR mode or "deep color" mode" thing is I just spent 30 minutes and could not see that option on the TV settings. I also searched Google like 3 pages deep and didn't find anything for this specific model. Its not a huge loss if I can't have HDR on this TV with the PS5 apperantly its working fine for the PC since its been recognized in Windows 10 settings but not on PS5 I have messed with every single setting on the TV lol

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I just got the same reply on Reddit "he may need to enable an HDR mode or "deep color" mode" thing is I just spent 30 minutes and could not see that option on the TV settings. I also searched Google like 3 pages deep and didn't find anything for this specific model. Its not a huge loss if I can't have HDR on this TV with the PS5 apperantly its working fine for the PC since its been recognized in Windows 10 settings but not on PS5 I have messed with every single setting on the TV lol
It could be well hidden, some TVs for example require you to rename the input to "PC" to get 4:4:4 chroma subsampling supported and nowhere in any of the settings menus does it tell you this.

I'd give the manual a read-through if you haven't already.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
1) Could be a bad cable, and
2) From the manual:
Game HDR
In accordance with the HGiG (HDR Gaming Interest Group) standard, it sets the optimal image quality for HDR games according to the brightness information of the contents.
When HDR sources are input in Game Mode, this menu is activated.
Game HDR entry path may be different in some models. ( Settings > General > External Device Manager > Game HDR)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
AU8000 is on the low end of Samsung lineup, don't expect much out of it.
I understand I was on a pretty tight budget but quiet frankly for $400for the 43" model I am pretty impressed. Specially for someone who's never owned a 4K TV before I defiantly think its great! I actually bought the S546 but decided to keep the AU8000 me and my father both agreed it had slightly better image quality and coloring. Brightness they both seemed about the same in vivid mode and standard so didn't see much of an advantage there. The only real advantage the TCL S546 was that this was 50" Model and the AU8000 is 43"

Attachments

• 272957898_10160057804601979_4926372765023796019_n.jpg
    272957898_10160057804601979_4926372765023796019_n.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: killster1

sleepeeg3

May 25, 2004
^Not helpful.
Duckduckgo says:
HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG Support
That was bhphotovideo for the 55", but the Samsung site also lists HDR10+ support:

I would reach out to Samsung to see if they give you anything useful.

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
^Not helpful.

Duckduckgo says:
HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG Support
That was bhphotovideo for the 55", but the Samsung site also lists HDR10+ support:

I would reach out to Samsung to see if they give you anything useful.
Thank you! I was actually considering doing that as well. I do have an EVGA XR1 Lite capture card that I have the PS5/PC/TV hooked up to I am gonna try plugging the PS5 straight to the TV tomorrow (Pretty tired) without the capture card if that doesn't work I am going to call Samsung. This little cheap TV is pretty impressive for been lower end.

sleepeeg3

May 25, 2004
Edited my post after you responded so will repost this...

Also, RTFM as others have said: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/.../OSNATSCA-6.0.0_EM_OSCAR_USA_ENG_210608.0.pdf
Page 111 and 167 look relevant...

1) Could be a bad cable, and
2) From the manual:
Game HDR
In accordance with the HGiG (HDR Gaming Interest Group) standard, it sets the optimal image quality for HDR games according to the brightness information of the contents.
When HDR sources are input in Game Mode, this menu is activated.
Game HDR entry path may be different in some models. ( Settings > General > External Device Manager > Game HDR)
Er yup what he said.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Edited my post after you responded so will repost this...

Also, RTFM as others have said: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/.../OSNATSCA-6.0.0_EM_OSCAR_USA_ENG_210608.0.pdf
Page 111 and 167 look relevant...
I've tried that! yeah I saw that several times today when I was playing with the TV. It literally just came in the mail today lol but I tried everything in every setting folder on the TV and I couldn't get it to work on the PS5 it is Recognized as HDR10 on Windows because I checked. I saw the same exact part on page "111" And it didn't do anything.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Having a capture card (even if it claims "pass-through") between the PS5 and the HDTV may just be the exact issue. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
I honestly really considered this as well. I am just so exhausted I really don't want to mess with all that stuff right now but I will for sure tomorrow morning after some rest. Wouldn't be surprised if that actually fixes it. I am actually going to bed soon.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Having a capture card (even if it claims "pass-through") between the PS5 and the HDTV may just be the exact issue. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
can you believe they forgot to tell us this was between the TV? lulz we are all trying so hard when this most likely is the issue ;P (specially if they are in the right porta nd cable / game mode)

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
When I said the AU8000 is on the low end, I did not mean it as a put down in any way. I love Samsung TV's and own 3 of their 4k's and none of them are high end. They all look amazing.
Yeah this one looks really good specially on my PS5. I have very small complaints about certain image details and image quality but I can overlook those small things. The only real (Also minor) Problem I find is that the brightness its a bit Dim but overall I think it has to be one of the top 5 4k TV in the $400 price range

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I am actually running a Samsung UN40JU6700 40" curved 4K from about 5 years ago as a monitor on my desktop, love its bright beautiful images.