Just bought RPG Time: The Legend Of Wright

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I've never played a game like this before, I love the graphic style and the concept of the game's really unique. If you don't like cutesy shit you won't dig this. The idea is you're an 10 year boy who loves RPG's and you create one in a notebook. The graphics mimic like they were drawn in a notebook by a child. I'm only about 45 minutes into it and so far it's been really easy and I don't know if it's a game that will get much more difficult. But it's overflowing with personality and charm and the story so far does feel like something a small child would actually dream up.

It's all over the place and some of the things that happen are completely random. But that really adds to the believability that you're in the child's mind. A tank appears out of nowhere and you end up getting a boxing glove that goes on the turret for the weapon instead of shooting mortars. It makes no sense but that's part of the charm of the game. A kids imaginations oftentimes wander everywhere Whoever made this did a bang up job of capturing the essence that an actual child created this strange RPG world. So far I haven't been able to predict anything that happened next, you just expect anything I guess. I'm already finding myself trying things that make no sense and surprised they have actually worked a few times.

As you're going along the pages turn as your advance and the child's narrating and talking you thru everything and he'll randomly erase something or erase and draw a new object. This is a very kid friendly game, and that's probably why it's so easy. But I'm loving how the kid tells the story and how it feels like he's probably still making up parts as you get further. From what I've read, it's only around 6 hours long. But it's pretty immersive if you like oddball RPGs. And true to a lot of small kids telling a story, this boy never seems to shut up. It's all just text so it's not annoying.

The graphics are pretty simple but the art style is really beautiful and fitting for the concept of the game. And the fact you don't need some crazy 300+ Watt GPU to play it could be a plus for those who don't have dedicated GPUs or something old. The story is very linear, but there are some secrets and treasure chests to find, so it might have a bit of replayability. But as for the main quest you can't do any exploring. And while it has RPG in the title, since you can't explore and it's pretty point and clicky I'd say it's more of an adventure game with a good number of in game references to some of the classics. Whoever made this were definitely fans of games from the 80's and 90's

Here's the trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Looks pretty neat! I'm not sure its for me but I dig the art style for sure!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
And they are using the most overused ticktok AI female Voice to read a script for that video.