Just bought a Sapphire hd 7990 video card

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Use Radeon Pro with frame limiter = problem solved until AMD gets its official fix out for dealing with runt frames, supposedly coming later this month. I've played through Crysis 3 on my 7990 and no issues...

False....pcper.com debunked that and the VSync false rumour too.
If it were THAT simple, AMD would have done it in drivers long ago.
The problem is much more complicated...but lets make it 100% clear:

Neither framelimiter nor VSync is a fix for microstutter.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Dude, what is the big deal? WHY are you trying to convince him that his card is junk? 90% of users NEVER notice any issues with CF. Sure the runt frames are there, and special tools see them, but most people will never see them.

If you do, fine, don't use CF. But that doesn't give you reason to troll this thread trying to convince him that the card is unusable.

[Citation needed]

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
(so I address your point)
I missed your point, because you didn't show an example of 2 or 3-way crossfire to compare to the 7990 quadfire.

That said, my point was that many times it doesn't scale, or it doesn't scale well. That benchmark generally favors 7970's over 680's. It should have shown the 7990x2 beating 690x2 if it scaled well, but in this case, it probably was a CPU bottleneck, so it is uncertain.

You misdeed the point because you did not follow the context, the particular point was using one review as gospel and you being all to ready to not take users with first hand experience into consideration which is far better than a snapshot in time which a review is.

How are you going to find out how my 5970s are holding up in performance, issues in games with the same drivers im useing today ?

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You misdeed the point because you did not follow the context, the particular point was using one review as gospel and you being all to ready to not take users with first hand experience into consideration which is far better than a snapshot in time which a review is.

How are you going to find out how my 5970s are holding up in performance, issues in games with the same drivers im useing today ?

So you equate a professional review, on a large site, using 18 different games as being as biased as a user forum site with people comparing a single benchmark?

I'd love to see more reviews from professionals showing how great 4-way crossfire is. Preferably one with a large variety of games.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Yep that pretty much sums it up.:\

I really hate when people try to trash someone's new hardware especially when their own card is barely mid range.:thumbsdown:

Congrats to the OP....HD7990 is the Fastest Video Card on the planet right now.
Enjoy!:)

So you are saying your not allowed to comment unless you have a high end card as well?...LOL

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
So you equate a professional review, on a large site, using 18 different games as being as biased as a user forum site with people comparing a single benchmark?

I'd love to see more reviews from professionals showing how great 4-way crossfire is. Preferably one with a large variety of games.

Now your puting words into my mouth and missing the point again.

The rules is to take many reviews into consideration.
I have seen reviews rerun tests at users requests and the results reversed, like when HARDOCP did 3 way SLI v Trifire review, Trifie won and then changed the mobo and CPU 3 way SLI won.

I remember a reviews showing GRID playable at 2560x1600 x2aa on a single 3870, but they forgot to show that at night the FPS plummeted.
If you want to take a single review as gospel and no first hand experience then that's fine by me but don't expect others to take your advice based on it.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Now your puting words into my mouth and missing the point again.

The rules is to take many reviews into consideration.
I have seen reviews rerun tests at users requests and the results reversed, like when HARDOCP did 3 way SLI v Trifire review, Trifie won and then changed the mobo and CPU 3 way SLI won.

I remember a reviews showing GRID playable at 2560x1600 x2aa on a single 3870, but they forgot to show that at night the FPS plummeted.
If you want to take a single review as gospel and no first hand experience then that's fine by me but don't expect others to take your advice based on it.

Well, find some reviews with 4-way crossfire/sli. I haven't seen many. You were the one claiming 4-way crossfire scaled a lot better than 4-way SLI. The only evidence I've seen has been to the contrary. If they are close, then they are close. If a mb makes a small change, that is no big deal. I'm interested in real world differences if you can find some.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Well, find some reviews with 4-way crossfire/sli. I haven't seen many. You were the one claiming 4-way crossfire scaled a lot better than 4-way SLI. The only evidence I've seen has been to the contrary. If they are close, then they are close. If a mb makes a small change, that is no big deal. I'm interested in real world differences if you can find some.

Well go a head and post them all then you said you have seem many to the contrary.

And no the mobo and CPU change can make a big deal to 3 way and quad GPU.
It seems your lack of first hand experience is showing even more.

Another user who had the exact same GPUs, bought them at the same time as me had double the FPS than me in some games and sometimes having the exact in others, CPU bottleneck.

Last edited:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
You are the one trying to discredit my reference. Isn't it up to you to show evidence that my post is incorrect?

It does not matter what is upto me, the difference is i have first hand experience for half a decade and no one with any sense takes a single review as gospel and most users know that and that's a weak hand that isn't worth any more of my time because anyone can browse the web and show a review and claim they are a know it all and claim they know more based on it then the people that have it.
And a new driver comes out and it can turn it all on its head.

And no im not discredit your reference,m it just that it should not be used as gospel, you just cant get the point no mater how many times its repeated

I'm going back to playing BF3 which is more worthy use of my rig than typing to you :)

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It does not matter what is upto me, the difference is i have first hand experience for half a decade and no one with any sense takes a single review as gospel and most users know that and that's a weak hand that isn't worth any more of my time because anyone can browse the web and show a review and claim they are a know it all and claim they know more based on it then the people that have it.
And a new driver comes out and it can turn it all on its head.

And no im not discredit your reference,m it just that it should not be used as gospel, you just cant get the point no mater how many times its repeated

I'm going back to playing BF3 which is more worthy use of my rig than typing to you :)

This is quite funny, considering you claimed this at the start:
Quad SLI with the 6 series has been far worse with scaling than Quad CF over all.
So your experience with 5970x2 and 7950x3 without 600 series experience is in better position to judge than a review site using both? I'm sorry, but your experience does not give you any authority on the 600 series.

Note: this isn't even counting microstutter, but that wasn't our topic of discussion.

Last edited:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
This is quite funny, considering you claimed this at the start:
So your experience with 5970x2 and 7950x3 without 600 series experience is in better position to judge than a review site using both? I'm sorry, but your experience does not give you any authority on the 600 series.

Note: this isn't even counting microstutter, but that wasn't our topic of discussion.

Nope that was pulled out from my 4th comment which you have pulled out of context and putting more words in to my mouth because my CF experience was not used as a claim of better scaling against the 600, my CF experience was used as its not as bad as people make out which tend to be the ones that don't use it and only look at reviews.

I myself read that in a review quite some time ago i can accept if it can be shown that over all SLI scales better today but i did see many reviews showing that it took 3way 680 to match 2 way 7970 as i have said its besides the point and its clear once again that you miss the main ones being made because all that matters is that the person is getting the performance that is satisfactory to them, and you cant speak for them.

Thread, people are happy with there 7990,s its not your job to tell them that they shouldn't be and continually dump, the only thing you came in here to do is dump on them and on the 7990 and pitch NV cards.

Last edited: