Just bought a Sapphire hd 7990 video card

google337

Aug 15, 2011
Always been an nvidia fan upgraded my gtx 590 sli for this hd 7990

This is my first ati card and its a good experience owning one of the best card in the world as of now

Paid $1299 after tax and shipping
All I have to say is amd hd 7990 is amazing its a beast card

Card is not loud and heat seems to be around 65c when playing bf3
No bottle neck at all with my set up
all stock setting no over clocking

Specs

i7 990x
Sapphire Hd 7990
32gb ddr3 corsair vengeance
X57 saber tooth mother board
250ggb ssd crucial
Windows 8 pro
Antec LANboy air blue
Dell 3007wfp 30 inch LCD

Should give hd 7990 a try if you can afford worth every penny

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Any reason you went with the 7990 instead of just buying two 7970's and running them in crossfire?

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
I have one too and it's great. Sold my CFX 7950 setup for it. Runs cooler and is much quieter.

I game at 2560x1600 and so far everything I've thrown at it has run very smooth. No CF issues to speak of, my 7950s were fine in that regard too, though.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
having owned a few hd7970's and a powercolor hd7990. I have to ask why not get 2 msi hd7970's and put them on a gigabyte sniper board

2 cards = 832

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Overclocke...words=msi+7970

1 board = 169
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1

total = 1001

sapphire 1049

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202036

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FVGi4AodzwoAFw

then you need a board so you are close to 1225.

my powercolor hd7990 was good and I ran it from dec 1 to may 1

then sold it for 800. So you may be better off with the hd7990 as it will hold retail

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
i hope you guys use some super resolutions because that's a lot of money for graphics. but hey to each his own. i use a 7970 and i'm trying to find another cheap preowned one. noise may become and issue though.

cf can be a pain in the butt but i'd like to improve eyefinity performance... the single card doesn't like some of the titles when i increase the quality.

how does one 7990 stack up against the two 7970?

google337

Aug 15, 2011
Any reason you went with the 7990 instead of just buying two 7970's and running them in crossfire?

The reason I'm getting the hd 7990 is that I will crossfire it in a few months when I upgraded my CPU to i7 4k series and going to get desktop LCD 4k monitor

There is a benchmark with 2 hd 7990 at www.kitguru.net the performance for hd 7990 cf is simply amazing they did the test not long ago it's a great review
(may 22nd 2013)

Clck the link below for two hd 7990 crossfire in action you will be amazed I promise
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-hd7990-quadfirex-review/

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The reason I'm getting the hd 7990 is that I will crossfire it in a few months when I upgraded my CPU to i7 4k series and going to get desktop LCD 4k monitor

There is a benchmark with 2 hd 7990 at www.kitguru.net the performance for hd 7990 cf is simply amazing they did the test not long ago it's a great review
(may 22nd 2013)

Clck the link below for two hd 7990 crossfire in action you will be amazed I promise
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-hd7990-quadfirex-review/

"I ran into some unusual issues when playing this game with two HD7990′s, sometimes the Crossfire profile didn’t seem to work until we tabbed out of the game and back in again"

lol yes I am amazed.

and perhaps you missed all the reviews that looked at frametimes. 7990 is a joke for 1000 bucks as real world performance barely exceeds a single 7970 in some cases.

google337

Aug 15, 2011
"I ran into some unusual issues when playing this game with two HD7990′s, sometimes the Crossfire profile didn’t seem to work until we tabbed out of the game and back in again"

lol yes I am amazed.

and perhaps you missed all the reviews that looked at frametimes. 7990 is a joke for 1000 bucks as real world performance barely exceeds a single 7970 in some cases.

I believe that Is the driver issue and that quote was from January they just retested with the new driver you need to read all the pages and not just read one part and claim that hd 7990 is bad

If your saying its a waste of $1000 for one card what about gtx 690 and titan they both are the same price and hd 7990 out perform them

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I believe that Is the driver issue and that quote was from January they just retested with the new driver you need to read all the pages and not just read one part and claim that hd 7990 is bad

If your saying its a waste of $1000 for one card what about gtx 690 and titan they both are the same price and hd 7990 out perform them
you seem to think that fps numbers are the only thing that matters. AGAIN look at reviews that look at what you actually get. http://techreport.com/review/24703/amd-radeon-hd-7990-graphics-card-reviewed/10

However, we've deployed some advanced tools and metrics to answer some very practical questions about the benefits of the 7990's second GPU, and the answers haven't turned out like one would hope. The card just doesn't hold up well under the weight of really tough scenarios where smooth gameplay is threatened. The 7990 does perform a little bit better than its single-GPU counterpart, the Radeon HD 7970, in our Crysis 3 test, but not by a broad margin. The 7990 doesn't offer an appreciable benefit over the 7970 in our Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs test scenarios. In each of these cases, the 7990's FPS averages scale to nearly twice the 7970's, but the uneven frame delivery caused by multi-GPU microstuttering blunts the impact of those additional frames. Worse still, the 7990 runs into some apparent CrossFire compatibility snafus in Far Cry 3 and BioShock Infinite, both AAA titles that AMD has co-marketed and bundled with the card itself. Yikes. In those two games, you're literally better off playing with a Radeon HD 7970.

thats right, a single 7970 has just as good or better playability than the 7990 in some games.

Last edited:

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Use Radeon Pro with frame limiter = problem solved until AMD gets its official fix out for dealing with runt frames, supposedly coming later this month. I've played through Crysis 3 on my 7990 and no issues...

google337

Aug 15, 2011
you seem to think that fps numbers are the only thing that matters. AGAIN look at reviews that look at what you actually get. http://techreport.com/review/24703/amd-radeon-hd-7990-graphics-card-reviewed/10

However, we've deployed some advanced tools and metrics to answer some very practical questions about the benefits of the 7990's second GPU, and the answers haven't turned out like one would hope. The card just doesn't hold up well under the weight of really tough scenarios where smooth gameplay is threatened. The 7990 does perform a little bit better than its single-GPU counterpart, the Radeon HD 7970, in our Crysis 3 test, but not by a broad margin. The 7990 doesn't offer an appreciable benefit over the 7970 in our Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs test scenarios. In each of these cases, the 7990's FPS averages scale to nearly twice the 7970's, but the uneven frame delivery caused by multi-GPU microstuttering blunts the impact of those additional frames. Worse still, the 7990 runs into some apparent CrossFire compatibility snafus in Far Cry 3 and BioShock Infinite, both AAA titles that AMD has co-marketed and bundled with the card itself. Yikes. In those two games, you're literally better off playing with a Radeon HD 7970.

thats right, a single 7970 has just as good or better playability than the 7990 in some games.

Again you are not reading what I'm saying they retested the card with new driver this review was written on April 28 and the hd 7990 cf review was a month after that

Even the author agrees that ati needs to work on their driver for the micro stuttering

But hey let's end it here I own the card I know how it feels when playing and yea like the comment above me just need to wait for the driver to be updated again

Thanks for your great feedback for trying to prove something that I already know and outdated :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Again you are not reading what I'm saying they retested the card with new driver this review was written on April 28 and the hd 7990 cf review was a month after that

Even the author agrees that ati needs to work on their driver for the micro stuttering

But hey let's end it here I own the card I know how it feels when playing

Thanks for your great feedback for trying to prove something that I already know and outdated :thumbsdown:
what are you talking about? what I just quoted there has nothing to do with the other review. and no its not outdated as the frametime issue has NOT been addressed yet and there is no ETA for the fix.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
what are you talking about? what I just quoted there has nothing to do with the other review. and no its not outdated as the frametime issue has NOT been addressed yet and there is no ETA for the fix.

Not everyone will experience the same issues either. You know there are CF users that have minimal to no issues out there.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

But hey let's end it here I own the card I know how it feels when playing and yea like the comment above me just need to wait for the driver to be updated again

If you want something more recent, as in a week old:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-14.html
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...hics-Card-Review-GK110-Mini/Battlefield-3-SLI

We are still waiting for a Crossfire fix.

google337

Aug 15, 2011
It's not whether or not the issues exist, it's whether or not you notice them.

Since your a super old school video card fan boy my question is out of 3 card which should u buy if ur a hardcore gamer with the cash

Gtx 690 gtx titan hd 7990

These are all in the same price range I don't want to add in sli or cf just price range and pure statistic reviews which card should u buy if ur an old school that knows what is best for your gaming experience

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Dude, what is the big deal? WHY are you trying to convince him that his card is junk? 90% of users NEVER notice any issues with CF. Sure the runt frames are there, and special tools see them, but most people will never see them.

If you do, fine, don't use CF. But that doesn't give you reason to troll this thread trying to convince him that the card is unusable.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Since your a super old school video card fan boy my question is out of 3 card which should u buy if ur a hardcore gamer with the cash

Gtx 690 gtx titan hd 7990

These are all in the same price range I don't want to add in sli or cf just price range and pure statistic reviews which card should u buy if ur an old school that knows what is best for your gaming experience

I went with a Titan but I'm a single gpu kinda guy although I have quite a few dualies ;)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
690 only has 2gb of vram which is not good
7990 has way too many frametime issues
Titan is slower than the other 2 choices but is more consistent

I would simply choose the gtx780 for 650 bucks as it and the Titan are only just over 5% apart when both are oced.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Dude, what is the big deal? WHY are you trying to convince him that his card is junk? 90% of users NEVER notice any issues with CF. Sure the runt frames are there, and special tools see them, but most people will never see them.

If you do, fine, don't use CF. But that doesn't give you reason to troll this thread trying to convince him that the card is unusable.
how the hell is that trolling his thread? its a FACT that there are issues with the 7990 and he only seemed focused on just the fps numbers and nothing else. and what he said in the comment I was replying to made no sense because it was not from the review I had just mentioned.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005

I would simply choose the gtx780 for 650 bucks as it and the Titan are only just over 5% apart when both are oced.

The Underdog always tries to compare to the King of the Hill, but alas, he is not King.

google337

Aug 15, 2011

Yea I was gonna buy a gtx 780 and sli it but when I saw the hd 7990 in crossfire mode I want to go cf instead of sli

I'm a extreme gamer so I just want to Max out my fps that's why I go with the hd 7990 as for frame rate drop I don't even notice when playing it and yea I will crossfire it so frame rate drop is still not my issue cuz I'm going to cf this beast when I get my 4k monitor from asus which is coming out end of june

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The Underdog always tries to compare to the King of the Hill, but alas, he is not King.
lol okay. its a video card and the Titan is not worth it for a current single display because its main differentiation is the extra 3 gb of vram. unless you think 350 bucks for just over 5% is worth it that is and never using that extra vram that you just paid for.