Just bought a Nexus 7, first tablet, What should I do to it?

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
Thinking of rooting it and installing a rom, but not sure which.

I am looking around at cases but haven't decided.

Any other suggestions, tips, tricks?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Why do you want to root it out of the box? You say it's your first tablet, so this just doesn't make any sense. Use the thing and see how you like it. After you've gotten familiar with it and if you then feel like it needs ROM'ing, then go do that.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Why do you want to root it out of the box? You say it's your first tablet, so this just doesn't make any sense. Use the thing and see how you like it. After you've gotten familiar with it and if you then feel like it needs ROM'ing, then go do that.

But he also makes no mention of whether it's his first Android device or not.

I rooted and ROM'd my Galaxy Nexus on day one (of ownership - it was out for a few weeks at the time).

I still haven't rooted or ROM'd my Nexus 7, just because I've actually enjoyed seeing the natural progress of Android 4.0-4.2, and like what Google has done; more importantly, I sort of want to customize it, but I really only use it to read news feeds (Google Currents), magazines (BN Nook subscriptions), and ebooks (mostly Kindle).

If I'm working on my PC, I'll usually break out the Nexus 7 instead of the laptop, and browse the web searching for ideas and have that as a reference right next to me. Also convenient to look something up or jot a note down if I'm playing a game or otherwise involved in something taking up all monitor space on the desktop. I'll use either my phone or N7 for that kind of stuff, but I definitely prefer browsing the web on the tablet.

It's definitely my preferred source of reading material in the bathroom. :D

I still find it odd that I personally haven't put a ROM onto the tablet, and given how far behind CyanogenMod is, it makes me consider dropping back to stock on my phone.
By the time they have a certified stable 4.2 ROM out, Android might be on 4.3 or 5.0. D:
Granted, the old ROM version I have is also 4.0.4 or around there, since I gave up and haven't updated, patiently awaiting CM 10.1.

I think that was one thing I was contemplating: sticking to stock Android on the tablet until a stable CM 10.1 lands, and then throwing that on both of my devices.

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
it is not my first android.

I'm currently installing JB on my razr and then going to root it and place a rom on it.

I need to dig more in to what I plan on using the nexus7 for, but I might actually flip over to my google number and see what i can make happen with that for texts, etc.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I haven't rooted/rom'd my 7 at all. Just haven't felt the need to. I use it only for browsing/reading when I'm at home or on the go.

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
I haven't rooted/rom'd my 7 at all. Just haven't felt the need to. I use it only for browsing/reading when I'm at home or on the go.

I have a feeling it will be what pushes me to Google Voice.

I really see a lot of uses for GVoice with my current job and other information, as well as a lot of features.

I also will be using the 7 for videos, reading, email, and gaming.

oh, and music, music allll day long at work, instead of plugging in to my laptop i'll just plug in to the nexus 7 and then I don't have to worry about music freezing when i load stupid websites.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I don't mean to thread-jack but since you're looking for a casing please excuse me for plugging in my query: Has anyone tried Ghost Armor? -> http://www.ghost-armor.com/

I saw their shop in a mall nearby and their professional installation looked good. I am interested in durability and the screen protector's quality. (anti-smudge, anti-scratch, anti-glare, etc.)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
BTW, if you're into getting root access, there are many guides around. I found using fastboot (download ADK or standalone) and using command prompt is easier if you are not afraid of non-GUI interface. Those all-in-one tools were actually more confusing to me who had no prior experience of Android.

I do have quite a few stuff that requires root access, and while I won't give such access to, say, my parents, but if you know what you're doing and take adequate precaution, you should be fine with rooted Nexus 7. I would caution, though, on custom ROMs.

But even if you mess things up to the point of bricking (non-boot), as long as there is no physical damage to the device you should be able to recover. But your personal data can be lost, if I am understanding right. Basically, you can always wipe everything off and start afresh with Nexus 7. Just make sure to back up data.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
But he also makes no mention of whether it's his first Android device or not.

I rooted and ROM'd my Galaxy Nexus on day one (of ownership - it was out for a few weeks at the time).

I still haven't rooted or ROM'd my Nexus 7, just because I've actually enjoyed seeing the natural progress of Android 4.0-4.2, and like what Google has done; more importantly, I sort of want to customize it, but I really only use it to read news feeds (Google Currents), magazines (BN Nook subscriptions), and ebooks (mostly Kindle).

If I'm working on my PC, I'll usually break out the Nexus 7 instead of the laptop, and browse the web searching for ideas and have that as a reference right next to me. Also convenient to look something up or jot a note down if I'm playing a game or otherwise involved in something taking up all monitor space on the desktop. I'll use either my phone or N7 for that kind of stuff, but I definitely prefer browsing the web on the tablet.

It's definitely my preferred source of reading material in the bathroom. :D

I still find it odd that I personally haven't put a ROM onto the tablet, and given how far behind CyanogenMod is, it makes me consider dropping back to stock on my phone.
By the time they have a certified stable 4.2 ROM out, Android might be on 4.3 or 5.0. D:
Granted, the old ROM version I have is also 4.0.4 or around there, since I gave up and haven't updated, patiently awaiting CM 10.1.

I think that was one thing I was contemplating: sticking to stock Android on the tablet until a stable CM 10.1 lands, and then throwing that on both of my devices.

Pretty much all of this

I have a gnex rooted on day one and a n7 that's not rooted.

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
I don't mean to thread-jack but since you're looking for a casing please excuse me for plugging in my query: Has anyone tried Ghost Armor? -> http://www.ghost-armor.com/

I saw their shop in a mall nearby and their professional installation looked good. I am interested in durability and the screen protector's quality. (anti-smudge, anti-scratch, anti-glare, etc.)

I am thinking about using a portenzo case

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
I rooted my n7 on the day I brought it home, but I honestly can't think of any reason I needed to. I did it cause I have rooted everything else android I've ever owned, but there's nothing I've done on it yet that required root. I did flash a cm10.1 nightly on it, but just cause I could, not from necessity. My gnex and any other phone I buy will always be rooted though. I've found myself reading comics on the tablet a lot, in addition to some of the other things mentioned. PerfectViewer is a good comic reader. Its pretty good for movie watching too. Much better than watching on a phone screen.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
WHY do you want to root it?

What can it NOT do that you want it to do?

Personally, now that I have a rom and different kernal on it I wouldn't want to go back to stock. Stock was slow/clunky in comparison and made me wonder why anybody would recommend a nexus 7 despite the low(ish) price. I'm running SmoothROM with the Bricked kernal and it's nice.

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
sure would be nice to get a 'notification of shipment' sometime soon...

it's not difficult to turn a product in a single day...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Hey hey!

Just as I was hoping, but it happened far sooner than I expected: what they call an "M-shapshot" of CM10.1 has landed for a few devices. Of those, my main concern: the Galaxy Nexus (all versions, mine is Verizon); but even better, the Nexus 7 also has the M1 snapshot.

Think of these like "Milestone" releases, if familiar with AOKP.
They aren't technically Release Candidates, but they are functionally close. They are supposed to be ready as daily-drivers, though of course it is still not labeled a "Stable release."

I'll be giving it a try on my Galaxy Nexus tomorrow... I am so not looking forward to wiping and starting over, hopefully the Play Store grabs everything that is already installed. (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - that's my experience).

Whenever I flashed and flashed and flash numerous times in the span of a month or three, it never seemed so terrible. But I've been on the same release for, hell, probably 8 or 10 months! Things could be ugly.

Then again, I might not get around to it tomorrow, it depends on how miserable/completely out of it I am... getting all four wisdom teeth yanked out. D:

We'll see - hopefully I'll get to it, I'll let y'all know what I think of CM10.1 M1. If I like it enough, I may just throw it on my Nexus 7, just because. I'll have a full backup in case I prefer stock on the N7, but I'd love the advanced tweaks and customizations possible in a CM release so it might just suit me on the tablet.

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
This thing is awesome.

Very happy with it.

Just installing all the programs I need and its far responsive and had a great screen.

Any recommended apps?

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Rooted all my nexus devices first few days I got them (N7, Galaxy nexus 10, Nexus).
I just like the idea of a fresh install and complete control on my devices.

For cheap cases I like the Blurex cases for my tablets can be found in Amazon for around 15 dollars.

Use my N7 when out of the house or if I need to use a tablet standing up, size is perfect for using while carrying it.

Use my galaxy nexus 10 on the bed, table or any place where I don't Haverto hold it up. The nexus 10 along with the iPad is just to heavy to carry for prolonged periods of time.

Peace

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

I have it on my Gnex because I don't have a case for it. Screen protector only.
And it's really nice and clear. I like the guarantee as well.

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
I hate the change in 4.2 that centers the buttons. I use my tablet horizontally most of the time and my thumbs have to stretch to get to the center of the screen. Even in vertical mode I don't like them centered.
My tablet is not a phone and I can keep it straight in my head which device and ui I'm using.
Also the phone interface takes space both at the top and the bottom of the tablet.

So I found a patch that restores the tablet button ui even with the latest JB.

Other things to look into: stick mount and a $1.5 cable on amazon will allow you to access USB drives to expand storage if needed when off the grid (like on planes). It requires root though.