Just bought a new car!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Its my first stick too, so it'll be a good car to learn on.
Has the clutch ever been replaced?

One tip - don't downshift constantly when coming to a stop, brakes are much cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch. Be patient with learning, you'll get better soon enough.

Clutch is in good condition, but never been replaced. Shop says its no where near ready to be replaced. I trust my mechanic, gone to him for years.

Yeah, my friend told me when I want to come to a stop, just throw it into neutral and hit the brakes.

This is not the best way. Leave it in gear and dip the clutch just before you come to a stop, or it stalls, then if you are stopped for a long period you can put it into neutral. You have better car control that way.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
good luck w/your new car man and have fun learning stick :thumbsup:

I just got my new to me used car a few weeks ago and it's also my first stick, so I'm learning myself. I've driven automatic since I was 16 and I'm now 25, so this is a chore, although I already think it's a lot more fun to drive stick and automatic.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Congrats!

Until recently I was driving an '86 Civic DX with well over 200k miles. I wasn't going to get a new car until that one started to break down. But I waited and waited and it never did. Finally my desire for AC (my Civic didn't have it) overcame my inner skinflint.

My sister is still driving her '87 Civic DX.

:)

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
This is not the best way. Leave it in gear and dip the clutch just before you come to a stop, or it stalls, then if you are stopped for a long period you can put it into neutral. You have better car control that way.

Agree with /0

Generally speaking, you'd want to disengage the clutch at about 2000rpm in that car when you're coming to a stop. As long as you're in <5th gear, don't bother downshifting either until the traffic starts moving, then pick the right gear (usually 2nd, if you're in a slow-roll situation) and go.

- M4H

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero

Agree with /0

Generally speaking, you'd want to disengage the clutch at about 2000rpm in that car when you're coming to a stop. As long as you're in <5th gear, don't bother downshifting either until the traffic starts moving, then pick the right gear (usually 2nd, if you're in a slow-roll situation) and go.

- M4H

Good advice. :thumbsup:

We just need to add this to the 'Does a car use fuel when coasting' threads and the job is complete.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
1998 Honda Civic
100,000 miles

Mechanic looked at it. Only thing wrong is that the right axle needs to be replaced.

Other than that A OK

EDIT:

PICS of old car and new Honda...

Text
Text

civic FTW

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Malak
All the cars are bland, boring, and uninspiring.
That's Toyota much more than Honda. At least Hondas are a little bit fun to drive, the Toyotas I've driven have been completely numb (but very comfy).

ZV

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Congrats, I drive a 96 Civic w/stick & w/108k miles and I get 39 MPG on the highway. You got a great deal. Civics are hard to find.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: amdskip
Congrats, I drive a 96 Civic w/stick & w/108k miles and I get 39 MPG on the highway. You got a great deal. Civics are hard to find.

THanks :) It actually came to me. It was parked next to my old car at my apartment. I saw the for sale sign.

I was looking for a Honda Civic around $3000
This car was a Honda Civic around $3000

:)

LUCK?!

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: dbk
Took me about an hour to learn stick

Did you approach any traffic signals on a hill? :evil:

Yep. Stalled once. Then the guy teaching me had me balance my foot on the gas and my foot on the clutch until I didn't move on a hill. He made me do that over and over again for a half hour straight.

After that, it was easy.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
My car has no RPM indicator
You can sorta tell just by listening. I'm used to doing that on a Volvo 240, Mitsu Galant stationwagon and Honda Accord. Might need a little time to get used to it, but you'll get a feel for it eventually (same thing with gear shifting points).

Dritnul

Jan 9, 2006
any comment i could make would be influenced by my anti-honda bias

so ill just say im sorry