Just bought a Canon PowerShot A40 for $249 @ OfficeMax B&M

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
As most of you are aware, after a long and exhaustive search for the perfect digital camera I have found it. Tonight it's mine.

First I had my eyes on the Fuji Finepix 2600 which I bought for $201 at Staples B&M with some coupons and later returned for a refund. I should have kept it and eBay'd it (slaps myself with an imitation trout).

Next I pondered getting the Nikon Coolpix 775 for around $224 again at Staples B&M.

A few weeks later I found myself in familiar territory, there was that Hot Deals euphoria over at Dell where one could pre-order the brand new Canon PowerShot S200 for $290. Of course I couldn't resist, took a puff and a month later it arrived. It was waaaaaaaaaaay to small and compact for my liking though. I was going to sell it but that sell never went through, so if someone wants a BRAND NEW (only used about 30 minutes) Canon S200 for $300 shipped with insurance/tracking then PM me.

A few months later I got bored so I went camera shopping because I hadn't bought anything in almost 2 whole weeks, yes people 2 whole weeks. I stumbled across this Canon A40 for $249 Hot Deals thread, read a few of the reviews and it looked promising. Finally I knew I had found the right digicam for me.

So today I called my local OfficeMax store, told a very creative tale about how I had this OfficeMax.com $50 off $250 coupon however the product I wanted to order wasn't available on their website. The concerned salesperson said no problem, she checked yep they had A40's in stock for the same price of $299 and would accept the coupon. On the way to Fred Meyer's to look at a nightstand I told my wife at the last minute we have a minor detour to OfficeMax. She asked what for I said oh to window shop (she knows by now that means BUY BUY BUY). I walk in, there's like 3 employees talking and goofing around, I ask to speak with the lady who helped me on the phone, she brought me a new A40, took my $50 off $250 coupon screen print. While she was ringing me up another employee told me about their 2, 3 and 4 year extended warranty plans. $39.99 gets you 2 years of coverage, $59.99 for 3 years and $79.99 for 4 years on this $299 digicam. I asked what if I accidentally ;) break my digicam, do I have to mail it in for service? She said no, just call a toll free number and they will send me a gift card valued at $249 which I can buy anything at OfficeMax that I want. So I asked well what do I do with the broken ;) digicam after I've called to get my $249 OM gift card? She said donate it to charity or properly dispose of it, this whole time her and I are both smiling, no grinning. I said fsck yeah I'll get that extended warranty.

I'm just thrilled that they were so friendly, helpful and accepted the $50 off $250 coupon and told me about the extended warranty which has very lax ;) rules and restrictions.

Now I gotta buy some CompactFlash media.

If you'd like to buy the Canon PowerShot A40 digicam for $249 from OfficeMax or Dell or read some reviews or see sample pictures then go here.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Thanks and I will, until I receive my credit card bill.

I'm glad that I paid for it using my CitiBank Dividend Platinum Select VISA cc since I earned a 1% rebate and received 1 free year of extended warranty coverage.

hoihtah

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
so... i'm a bit confused.
how did it only cost you 39.99?

a40 is $249.99
and you had 50 off 250 coupon.
which brings it to 199.99.

and 39.99 for 2 year coverage.

i'm a bit confused.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I was using the Enron method ... I could find use for a $249 OfficeMax gift card in a year or so.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: hoihtah

a40 is $249.99

i'm a bit confused.

basically he can ::cough:: drop it and if it breaks he can call up a number and theyll send him a gift card for $249.99 in which he can go and buy another one. and he doesnt need to return the broken one, just throw it away or give it to a charity! ::cough::

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Most excellent deal, even if it's borderline fraud. Damnit, now I want one :( My camera isn't ideal for bringing around and shooting random pics, and this looks good.

csf

Banned
Aug 5, 2001
damn i wish my local officemax's were cool like that, they wouldn't even take my $50 off coupon when I tried to get an A40 :/

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: csf
damn i wish my local officemax's were cool like that, they wouldn't even take my $50 off coupon when I tried to get an A40 :/

You have to call with the sob story first, get them to commit over the phone.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
basically he can ::cough:: drop it and if it breaks he can call up a number and theyll send him a gift card for $249.99 in which he can go and buy another one. and he doesnt need to return the broken one, just throw it away or give it to a charity! ::cough::
I just find it hard to believe that you just call a toll free number, tell them you dropped a $250 camera and they take your word for it and send you a $250 GC without even wanting the broken one back.

I sure wouldn't give anyone a warranty like that. There are devious people out there, you know.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Originally posted by: csf

You have to call with the sob story first, get them to commit over the phone.

Bingo. She said no problem on the phone, I got her name, she asked if I would be in tonight I said yes, visited the store asked for her by name, the rest was a piece of cake.

Cyberian - I know what you mean. If they required I send in the defective merchandise for servicing then that's understandable, makes absolutely no sense to me.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Those of you who are still on the fence about a digicam really should consider the Canon A40.

I just read 12 glowing reviews on ePinions.com where this was 100% recommended, not bad, not bad at all.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
i bought my A40 online at officemax.com for $269.98.

did u have tax added to urs rossman?

Jan 9, 2002
Congrats on the killer find! I've got that same camera and love it. I bought mine from 17photo.com for $279 back in April. Great unit, 3000+ pictures and counting!

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
Hey RossMan, since you seem to be so good at this, tell how I can convince my wife into letting me buy this thing. :)

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Congrats, you Ferengi you. :p

Personally I'm the opposite of you. I like having a small camera that fits in the pocket. Got an Olympus D-40. Great little camera.

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Originally posted by: hoihtah

a40 is $249.99

i'm a bit confused.

From the pessimistic view: that's what the csr said which will get a nice cut for every extended warranty she sells. The potential problem is when you try to claim it with your best honest intention; the company that sells the warranty may treat you like Viking treats your rebates :|.

Those companies that sell extended warranty know hot deals too; to them, extended warranty premium is like FREE cash.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: gwlam12
i bought my A40 online at officemax.com for $269.98.

did u have tax added to urs rossman?

Nope since Oregon has zero sales tax.

I probably won't pictures with it for a while or maybe not until our Vegas trip 8/12 - 8/16.