Just Benchmarked my 840 Evo. How did it do?

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
206d5s7.png

I myself think it did well, I only know the Read and Write figures though.

Last edited:

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
This is mine on Windows 8, AHCI, Intel Sata 3:

pN41gyU.png

Not quite sure why our scores are vastly different.

I bought this drive solely for my games on steam, origin, uplay etc, and apart from BF3 and DCS A-10C, I'm massively disappointed with the performance. Not with the drive itself but the games. There's nothing in my steam catalog that benefits from an SSD. There's zero difference in load up times between the Evo and my Spinpoint F3.

I've already got 400gb of games on my Evo and only 2 that run beautifully, and they ran just as well on my old M4.

What a waste of cash..for me anyway.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Numbers look different because you probably have RAPID feature turned on and he doesn't. Just a guess.

CKTurbo128

Platinum Member
May 8, 2002
It looks like he might be running under IDE/SATA mode rather than AHCI mode, as it lists his EVO as a ATA device. AHCI mode is better, especially for SSDs, as features like NCQ can increase throughput to a significant degree.

EDIT: Never mind, just caught the msahci check.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Yeah I do. I take it, it's better to have it enabled than not?

For speed yeah, it looks to be quite an advantage over having it off. Also, it supposedly helps a little bit with wear leveling since RAPID actually caches things into RAM. Or something like that, can't remember exactly how it was worded when I read it.

I plan on turning RAPID on when I get my new build parts in (w/250GB EVO).

But as far as your comment about games, from all I've read about SSDs is that games generally don't see a lot of benefit. This will be my first build with an SSD so I'm pretty excited either way.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Yeah I do. I take it, it's better to have it enabled than not?

If you don't mind losing data...or drive corruption. With that feature on, a good UPS is absolutely must. And I would probably stay away from it even if I had one. Maybe in a 1-2 years when all major bugs have been eliminated it might be useful (with an UPS) but now? just asking for trouble...

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you don't mind losing data...or drive corruption. With that feature on, a good UPS is absolutely must. And I would probably stay away from it even if I had one. Maybe in a 1-2 years when all major bugs have been eliminated it might be useful (with an UPS) but now? just asking for trouble...

While 'more' true, you could still lose data on ANY drive if the drive is writing and power goes off. Even drives with superCAPS can lose data if the PC is writing midstream and power goes off (of course, data already in the drives cache would be written with superCAPS but not data still being written from the PC).

To be honest, unless the memory cache is holding the gigabyte of data for minutes at a time (effectively becoming a permanent ramdrive), not sure that there is much difference.

If you don't want to lose data period, use a UPS! :)