just asking ;)

StanTheMan

Jun 16, 2000
hi, i'm not american, and i haven't followed american history.
however there's something that amaze me.
why is that US is maintaining a very close relationship with israel?
as if (from my perception, i maybe wrong), they always hand in hand together and us is always ready to back israel all the time?
well, i hope i'll get some opinion from u guys ;)

thanks,
stan

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
IMHO I always thought it was because they are one of the few pro-US democracies in the middle-east.

Cheers,

Andy

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
I think it all started after WWII, the Isrealis were most defenitally an underdog who had been beaten badly. The US gave them a hand and formed an alliance. They have worked together since.

I find it sad that the Arabs seem unable to accept the fact that Israel is a fact of life and make some effort to live peacefully with them. Prior to WWI and WWII they did coexist peacefully why not now.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RossGr
I think it all started after WWII, the Isrealis were most defenitally an underdog who had been beaten badly. The US gave them a hand and formed an alliance. They have worked together since.

I find it sad that the Arabs seem unable to accept the fact that Israel is a fact of life and make some effort to live peacefully with them. Prior to WWI and WWII they did coexist peacefully why not now.

Have a look at this link. Maybe then you can see why hostilities escalated. The BBC site has a very good "brief" history of then Israel/Palestine problems with links to all the relevant documents.

Cheers,

Andy

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
We have recently changed our policy in this situation though.

We pushed to have a Palestinian Prime Minsiter created (done) so a viable Pal. state could be established.

We have also publicly and privately rebuked Israel for many of their tactics and their increasing settlements.

We have made it very clear to Israel that the original lines that were drawn WILL BE RESPECTED once the Pal. state is established.

Israel is the most powerfull force in the region, they wouldn't exist if they were not. But they have also abused this US provided might, I for one am glad to see this new approach. We can afford to put them in their place publicly regarding settlements while at the same time helping create a nation for the Pal. people, this would be a MAJOR benefit in regards to american perception in the region.

The new Pal. will hopefuly be a democracy to go along with Israel, Iraq, and soon SA.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Probably because there's a huge Jewish influence in the US. Probably the single biggest lobbying group besides the Christians.

cracgor

Banned
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: StanTheMan
as if (from my perception, i maybe wrong), they always hand in hand together and us is always ready to back israel all the time?

thanks,
stan

because jews are white and half christians who will do anything for money?

cracgor

Banned
Apr 4, 2003

because israelis are just as mean to the arabs...kicking them out of their homes and preventing them from getting jobs...then palestinian blows himself up....then israel sends attack helicopter...then cycles

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: cracgor

thanks,
stan

i'm not even jewish and i'm offended by that. i'm surprised at your ignorance. where are you from?

cracgor

Banned
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast

thanks,
stan

i'm not even jewish and i'm offended by that. i'm surprised at your ignorance. where are you from?

And I am proven everyday an extensive network of people no not the joys of sarcasm

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
[because israelis are just as mean to the arabs...kicking them out of their homes and preventing them from getting jobs...then palestinian blows himself up....then israel sends attack helicopter...then cycles

But Israel has more experience fighting middle eastern terrorists than anyone else. Maybe they know something that we don't?

Sure, their tactics seem violent, but maybe that's what's required.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

because israelis are just as mean to the arabs...kicking them out of their homes and preventing them from getting jobs...then palestinian blows himself up....then israel sends attack helicopter...then cycles

Read up on the treatment of the Palestinians by the Arab countries. How many Arab countries allowed them to settle in their land? How much money did the Arab countries contribute to the Palestinian refugees as compared to the US and Israel?

And why?

Ralph Garroway, in August 1958:
"The Arab States do not want to solve the refugee problem. They want to keep it as an open sore, as an affront to the United Nations and as a weapon against Israel. Arab leaders don't give a damn whether the refugees live or die."

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
It's already been answered, but let me concur with Marshallj. It's because the Jewish population in the US has a lot of money and is highly influential.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

The current intifada stands as one reason many Palestinians no longer work in Israel-proper holding various odd jobs. This situation is a proverbial two-way street, as the Israeli economy also suffers from lack of cheap labor. Some have estimated that up to 85 percent of the Palestinian GNP is tied to Israel.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: etech

Read up on the treatment of the Palestinians by the Arab countries. How many Arab countries allowed them to settle in their land? How much money did the Arab countries contribute to the Palestinian refugees as compared to the US and Israel?

And why?

Ralph Garroway, in August 1958:
"The Arab States do not want to solve the refugee problem. They want to keep it as an open sore, as an affront to the United Nations and as a weapon against Israel. Arab leaders don't give a damn whether the refugees live or die."

This here is the truth of it, Arabs like many other people have looked down on the Jews for centuries. The fact that Jews as well as Arabs have inhabitted the area for thousands of years seems to make no difference to people with larger agenda's. They use the conflict as a tool to an end with no real attempt to resolve it because it dose not suit their needs.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Probably because there's a huge Jewish influence in the US. Probably the single biggest lobbying group besides the Christians.

That's the reason I thought of first..

Many Jews in very powerful positions in the US.