Just an FYI...hon. disc. vets can now shop at the PX online.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Saw a few months ago this was going to happen. Hadn't seen it mentioned lately and it's only been live for a month or so......thought it was worth a head's up for us vets.

The Exchange—the Department of Defenseʼs oldest and largest military retailer—is honored to serve all honorably discharged Veterans with a lifelong online military exchange shopping benefit.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

So hon. disc. vets can now shop at the PX online....but only online. Shopping at the base PX/BX is still reserved for active and retirees.

One nice perk, even if it's only online access, is no sales tax.

herrjimbo

Aug 21, 2001
Appreciate the info. My take on the site? More expensive than retail stores, even with no sales tax. I cannot believe these are the same prices as the PX. Just my humble opinion, of course.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Appreciate the info. My take on the site? More expensive than retail stores, even with no sales tax. I cannot believe these are the same prices as the PX. Just my humble opinion, of course.

On a lot of stuff, true.

But if you look at their current ad, ain't anybody else matching that iPad for $199 shipped. :)

Plus, the Samsung tablets are decently discounted as well.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't know, I don't remember prices at the BX being great even with the lack of sales tax figured in.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Yeah I think the current PX prices are nothing special, usually not terrible though. Some things they have great deals on, other items are typical MSRP (most electronics) though they occasionally had great sales I think. For everyday essentially it often felt like a standard store but the sales tax savings did add up for the small things. The big items, like any store, hit and miss on deals. The online Exchange tends to be the same as the b&m store I think, they don't have the massive deals of many online-only stores so the "steals" don't come often. I almost always forgot to check the website because every time I have it's never competitive on the things I want (usually electronics).

Now, the base/post commissaries, those had the deals. But that's just a standard grocery store experience. Honestly I never compared the prices for the everyday goods available at both stores, at least as I think the commissary still had the basics like detergents, OTC meds, personal care, etc.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Need an Xbox One S? I read on another site that the PX deal for Black Friday is $150, vs. the $189 at the Microsoft store. I don't have the link/code but it should be easy to Google.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
for electronics the NEX Is basically best buy prices minus tax and maybe an extra 5-10% off sometimes. decent but nothing to go crazy about.