Just a faulty video card, or something bigger?

Dstoop

Sep 2, 2012
System specs:

i5 3570K (still running @ stock)
8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Crucial m4 256G
OCZ ModXtream 700W modular PSU
Corsair H80 cooler
MSI Radeon HD7870 2GB HAWK edition

I just built the rig 2 weeks ago. I started out having some bluescreen DRIVER POWER FAILURE errors occasionally when waking the computer up from the "automatically turn off monitor after 10 minutes" state (sleep and hibernate are totally disabled). I also had some issues where while in that state, i'd catch the GPU cooler awkwardly spinning a spin or two and stopping over and over again until I kicked it out of idle.

Initial stability testing passed 20 cycles of LinX, RAM passed over 2000% coverage of MemTest with 0 errors, and ran FurMark for over an hour with no issues and no visible artifacting. CPU and GPU both topped out and leveled off at about 70-72C during the testing (one core of the CPU was pushing 78, but I hear IB has a common issue with one core running hotter).

I did some mild 1-2 hour gaming sessions, mostly Guild Wars 2, but I was taking it easy until I worked out the bluescreens and whether or not I had to RMA anything before filling out rebates and tossing the mountain of boxes in the recycling. Lo and behold, over the weekend I finally sat down to a real gaming session, played Guild Wars 2 for a little over three hours and the system hard crashed. Totally lost power, wouldn't even turn back on. After the initial panic-mode response of unplugging everything, I worked through standard hardware troubleshooting and determined that the Radeon HD7870 was totally toasted, any system I put it in would get a fraction of a second of power then immediately shut itself down. Meanwhile putting my HD5870 in the new rig and it appears to boot properly.

Needless to say, that HD7870 is on its way back to newegg for a replacement, but my major concern is what *caused* it to fry. There was no power surge to the PC, as everything else on that surge protector stayed on and there was no black/brownout. I'm hoping it was just the card that was faulty, but could it have been the motherboard or PSU that ultimately led to the card failure? For all I know the PSU was at fault, but only fried the card after the extended use situation.

I'm just worried that after waiting close to two weeks to get the new card back, i'm chasing symptoms instead of the cause and i'll end up frying out more than another GPU if I missed something. Likewise if the PSU needs to be RMAed i'd rather get that moving before the new card comes back. A second set of eyes on this one would be most appreciated.

Thanks!