Jurassic World: Evolution

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's been 15 long years since Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, and we finally have a true sequel to the dino park sim coming out this summer. From Frontier, devs behind Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster.

https://www.frontier.co.uk/our-games/jurassic-world-evolution

I am super excited for this game! I love all things Jurassic Park and Frontier seemed to do a good job with Planet Coaster. We should be getting more info very soon, rumored release date is June to coincide with Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom movie release.

Last edited:
Reactions: paperfist

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Could be fun, I'll keep an eye on it. If I'm not mistaken that's the one JP game that no one else than Jeff Goldblum himself has a role in. It's for the park / construction narration I think? Not sure of his role, but he's in it playing his actual character of Ian Malcolm.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Could be fun, I'll keep an eye on it. If I'm not mistaken that's the one JP game that no one else than Jeff Goldblum himself has a role in. It's for the park / construction narration I think? Not sure of his role, but he's in it playing his actual character of Ian Malcolm.
And they got him back for this game as well:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Wow had no idea this was coming... love Jurassic Park so going to see how this one plays out for sure.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If its like a sim theme park with dinosaurs that could be really cool. Imagine they break out and eat all the people! Cool! Or...it could suck really bad.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Saw Jurassic park, got excited

saw same devs as elite dangerous, got much less exited.

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
Jeff Goldblum is in it? I guess they don't want me to buy this game... I hated his character in the movie and Independence Day didn't do him any favors either. <SPOILERS FOR THE JP BOOK> His character gets eaten in the book if I remember correctly.

I might check it out if that happens in this game.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
New trailer, pre-orders are now available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reBwjqOhu-g

Official gameplay video from the devs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQAY5iLgUVo

EuroGamer preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGyMHaCbGu0

GamesRadar preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1eC3ynfywk

IGN 30 minutes of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdViLDXGc7A

And finally some previews from streamers who were invited to check out the game and take footage:

BestInSlot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKfv43e8Xfs&feature=youtu.be

Turps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcj2Mjd1MSw

TheGamingBeaver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9_5a5Gf1Q

Love what I am seeing so far, can't wait to play this game! 40 dino species confirmed for launch, I expect more to be added as DLC. Indominus Rex is confirmed in the game, Indoraptor probably will be a DLC that comes out after the movie.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Jeff Goldblum is in it? I guess they don't want me to buy this game... I hated his character in the movie and Independence Day didn't do him any favors either. <SPOILERS FOR THE JP BOOK> His character gets eaten in the book if I remember correctly.

I might check it out if that happens in this game.

No, Malcolm does not get eaten in the book or the movies for JP. He is in fact the main protagonist for Chricton's sequel and for the film sequel. I don't recall him getting eaten in the others, either...was he in the 3rd one? Dunno.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
No, Malcolm does not get eaten in the book or the movies for JP. He is in fact the main protagonist for Chricton's sequel and for the film sequel. I don't recall him getting eaten in the others, either...was he in the 3rd one? Dunno.
I believe he was meant to die at the end of the first book, but Crichton brought him back for the 2nd.

The fact that I don't really remember just means it's time I read those two books again.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Poor Chricton, my favorite author :(

I believe he was meant to die at the end of the first book, but Crichton brought him back for the 2nd.

The fact that I don't really remember just means it's time I read those two books again.

I wish I was able to do that. I can still remember the down pouring rain on the tin roof from the first book, but after reading his books and then seeing the movies I doubt I'd be able to follow along for another reading.

Jan 10, 2018
Games seem promising for all those who want to build their own park. One of the most awaited game for me in 2018.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I don't think I have read them since I was in high school, which was in the late 90's. What is kind of interesting is the second and third movies have a lot of parts from the first book.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Some tidbits from PC Gamer Magazine:

Las Cinco Muertes

On Isla Matanceros, the weather doesn’t get much more dramatic than the odd rain shower.

On Isla Tacaño, you have two different areas connected by a thin strip of land, so you'll have to ferry things around and make sure you have the resources to do so.

On the smallest island, Isla Pena, you have the added challenge of having to deal with the most dangerous dinosaurs. You'll be working on this island at night, which makes moments when storms roll in extra dramatic.

Some islands have starting layouts. They can dilapidated or worn out, though, only giving you a very basic infrastructure to work with. Power can be more difficult or expensive to generate on some islands. And some islands will be covered in vegetation, so you'll have to clear space.

Isla Sorna is the final island, with the biggest play space, and at that point the game will be throwing everything at you.

Entertainment. Science. Security.

While the Science team, for example, won’t appreciate you creating fantastical new dinosaurs that never existed in reality, the Entertainment guys will love it.

Being balanced and keeping every division happy is an effective strategy, but requires a lot more effort. You can follow one path, but the others will get annoyed. And that can lead to sabotage. However, you will get a loyalty bonus for sticking with one division, so there’s an element of risk and reward to picking a side.

Your advisors will inform you if the park is missing a building that serves a particular need, reflecting their own interests. If you don’t have any merchandise stands your Entertainment advisor will pipe up and suggest you get one, because that’s a lot of profit you're missing out on. And you’re Security advisor might be happy if you build stronger fences or invest in more rangers to keep an eye on the dangerous dinosaurs.

Making Dinosaurs

The genetic engineering will directly not only affect the dinosaur's stats, but also their temperament.

A partially complete DNA profile also comes with the risk of the dinosaur dying before it’s born, which can be both costly and time-consuming. The dinosaurs are the heart and soul of your park, and the variety and quality of the clones you bring in will have a direct impact on its success.

Campaign Mode/Story

You'll be told a complete story, but the pace and frequency of the events that occur will depend on your playstyle. And how the story unfolds will also depend on the division whose path you choose to focus on. A player who leans into Science will experience a very different story to someone who prefers Security, and vice versa.

The game is setting the table up, then letting players pick what they want from the buffet. There isn’t a lot of beat-to-beat narrative, but the game does have campaign elements. The three divisions have their own characters and stories that are unique to those paths. And if you complete all the missions for a division, they’ll tell you a complete story. So the game is both freeform and scripted.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Cool genetic engineering!

I wonder if the game sends in the army if things really get out of hand?

That's the whole point, no? ;)

Seems like you can do a lot of genetic engineering to make animals more or less aggressive, change their appearance, etc. Exciting stuff!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
That's the whole point, no? ;)

Seems like you can do a lot of genetic engineering to make animals more or less aggressive, change their appearance, etc. Exciting stuff!

Haha you're right, create chaos is the name of the game!

I'd like to see how the genetic engineering works. I always loved the opening part of Spore where you get to play around with primal ooze.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
This game is beautiful (this is medium detail setting)...

2ryg1gw.jpg

It definitely still needs some work though. If you aren't a dinosaur fanatic I would say it may not be worth the asking price. The park sim side is a bit too simple, and dinosaur AI still needs some work. But man oh man the visuals are amazing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Everything I'm reading says it is pretty shallow and not a lot of variety, nothing all that interesting. Shame.