Juneteenth: Should have replaced Columbus Day

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
No way. Who would want a day off work taken away?

I'm off tomorrow for Juneteenth, and I also have Columbus Day off. I don't care what they replace it with as long as I still get it off.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

I'm off tomorrow for Juneteenth, and I also have Columbus Day off. I don't care what they replace it with as long as I still get it off.
I don't get off for either, company just sends out an email for Juneteenth telling us to celebrate it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

they added an 11th fed holiday with Juneteenth.
replace columbus day would have been even

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Renaming Columbus Day with indigenous people's day would be appropriate.

Exactly.
NO FUCK THAT, let’s finally expect & demand more time off. We work a ridiculous amount compared to our first world peers.

The problem is that most people already don't get off for Columbus Day. That's pretty much an East Coast thing. Not saying I don't agree with the fact we should have more time off, I just wanted to point out that Columbus Day is not any day off already.

In fact, instead of fixed "minor" holidays like that, ALL employees should be given 3-4 PAID floating holidays per year to use at their leisure.
Plus we should have off to vote.

Reactions: Pohemi and Leeea

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Exactly.

The problem is that most people already don't get off for Columbus Day. That's pretty much an East Coast thing. Not saying I don't agree with the fact we should have more time off, I just wanted to point out that Columbus Day is not any day off already.

In fact, instead of fixed "minor" holidays like that, ALL employees should be given 3-4 PAID floating holidays per year to use at their leisure.
But then how will we align our consumerism and holiday schedules in order to provide record profits to corporations who offshore labor for shitty disposable merchandise?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
Given the actions of Republicans in government and the Southern dipshits before them, the bullshit laws and policies that have helped entrench institutional racism in our culture,
I am of the opinion that to truly honor the end of slavery, election day should have been the 11th federal holiday. Sure there would be challenges with how those who are tasked with elections on that day but the details can be worked out within the law itself establishing the who's and the whats.

This day as a federal holiday is forever tainted by by racist assholes, there enablers and the bullshit they have slipped into the narratives of our nations history.

Feb 4, 2009
But then how will we align our consumerism and holiday schedules in order to provide record profits to corporations who offshore labor for shitty disposable merchandise?

EXACTLY
My point from earlier is we should all have minimum 4 weeks paid off. There should be automatic payout triggers if you don’t use this time simply to put a fire under the bosses ass to schedule time off instead of “bummer no time available”

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Exactly.

It was our floater for evening things up for the Xmas break. Yea, the one good thing on leave they used to do. Now that Harris took over L3 that's gone away. Your stock also stinks. So much for the Ukraine bump. I digress.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well isn’t that just nice of Republicans…

b957be14e7d37014f68123128207b699.jpg

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Get this....
I asked my Trumpie family what Juneteenth was and they all believed Juneteenth was a gay thing. Had something to do with the gays. I really wasn't that surprised at their ignorant, I never am.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Get this....
I asked my Trumpie family what Juneteenth was and they all believed Juneteenth was a gay thing. Had something to do with the gays. I really wasn't that surprised at their ignorant, I never am.
Ignorance keeps the masses inline. Right wing media know this all to well. That's why they won't cover the primetime Jan 6 hearings live.

Reactions: Pohemi

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The honest statement is Texas didn’t tell black people they were free until 2 years after the emancipation proclamation

Let's see...
  • Emancipation Proclamation: January 1, 1863
  • Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1865
  • Juneteenth: June 19, 1865

Think, maybe, someone had to win a war first, before a declaration by the Union could be enacted?
April to June is rather fast, given a time period where it took months to cross the nation.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Steve King crawled out of his hole at Stormfronts clubhouse to tweet this gem:

Steve King:

"I spent Juneteenth all day in the hot sun hoeing and pulling weeds and thinking about what it would have been like to have been a slave. At the end of the day, I thought about what it would be like to be an aborted baby. I got to see the sunrise and the sunset."

With statements like this, he's probably not the only one who will think of him as an aborted baby

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Let's see...
  • Emancipation Proclamation: January 1, 1863
  • Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1865
  • Juneteenth: June 19, 1865

Think, maybe, someone had to win a war first, before a declaration by the Union could be enacted?
April to June is rather fast, given a time period where it took months to cross the nation.

Somehow only an issue in Texas?

Reactions: iRONic and Lezunto

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
  • Wow
Reactions: pmv

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
There are some assholes in Maine who actually posted their racist thoughts at their place of business.

2 insurance companies end relationship with Maine agency after racist Juneteenth sign

View attachment 63461
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, as they are finding out

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Reactions: Fenixgoon