jump soles or jump shoes?

marquee

Banned
Aug 25, 2003
i want to train myself to jump higher. has anyone done a plyometrics workout routine that they got visible results from? also, has anyone tried those jump shoes or jump soles, do they help? yeah, i know they're ugly :)

what about ankle weights, if i buy a pair, attach them to my ankles, and just walk around with them all day, would i see results too? the thing about ankle weights is i've heard they can really mess up your knees.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
This is only a guess as I've never trained to jump higher, but just doing squats should increase your vertical leap.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: marquee
i want to train myself to jump higher. has anyone done a plyometrics workout routine that they got visible results from? also, has anyone tried those jump shoes or jump soles, do they help? yeah, i know they're ugly :)

what about ankle weights, if i buy a pair, attach them to my ankles, and just walk around with them all day, would i see results too? the thing about ankle weights is i've heard they can really mess up your knees.
Any added weight to your feet is going to put stress on your knees. Just start slowly, adding the weight a few ounces a time. Give your joints time to adjust to the weight. Just a side note, but jump shoes aren't any better on your joints, especially your ankles.

I did some plyometrics-type training when I played volleyball in highschool. Just your basic workout like wall sits, wall jumps (quick and high), sprinting or hopping the length of the court, etc. It helped add add a couple inches to my verticle and with general explosiveness around the court. I would always get lazy after the season and lose any conditioning I gained.:)

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
plyometrics has been proven to help your vertical jump.

i believe it's all about exercising the muscles "explosively". do some research on the web.

"and always consult you doctor" woohoo! i'm free of legal liability now! :p

ShOcKwAvE827

Jul 28, 2001
I think there is a specific program online that has a training regimen to increase your vert. It's called "air something" i forget the specific name. But it will make your legs feel like jello. I want to do this kind of training when I get the time so I can be the next Spudd Webb. Right now I am about 5'7" and can only grab rim one handed. Hopefully training would help.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Jump soles work, but the problem is sticking with the program. When you get to like week 5, its very intense.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
there are lots of plyometrics stuff on the web. i've always wanted to do it since it's kind of embarassing being 6'3" and only being able to dunk a tennis ball, but i just don't have the discipline.

by doing jump training (jumpropes, standing jumps, etc.) you can increase your vertical, but you should also do some strength training for stability.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
the key is dedication.. you could increase your vert just by doing squats and calf raises, or you could get jump soles, but no matter what you will have to do it consistently for months.