Judge rules against muslim driving license woman.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
here

ORLANDO, Fla. - A Florida judge ruled Friday that a Muslim woman cannot wear a veil in her driver's license photo.

AP Photo
Slideshow: Muslim Woman Sues to Wear Veil for License

Prosecutors had argued that allowing people to cover all but their eyes in their ID pictures would undermine efforts to prevent terrorism.

After hearing three days of testimony last week, Circuit Judge Janet C. Thorpe ruled that Sultaana Freeman's right to free exercise of religion would not be infringed by having to show her face on her license.

Freeman, 35, had obtained a license that showed her veiled with only her eyes visible through a slit. But the state revoked the license in 2001 when she refused to have her photo retaken with her face uncovered.

She sued the state of Florida, saying it would violate her Islamic beliefs to show her face publicly.

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
Shes an idiot if she thought she was gonna win... having a drivers license is a privilege...
Ontop if that she was arrested couple years ago for beating a child...

Chobits

May 12, 2003
"Ontop if that she was arrested couple years ago for beating a child..."

What does that have to deal with it?

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Chobits
"Ontop if that she was arrested couple years ago for beating a child..."

What does that have to deal with it?

Nothing, other then the fact i have no sympathy for her...

thats all...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
good,
if she wants to look like a 'motherfvking beekeeper' she can walk..

(shes not even a real muslim, shes a convert...and her mugshot is on police file)

Chobits

May 12, 2003
there is no such thing as a muslim race. a convert to Islam is a 100% real muslim.

f she wants to look like a 'motherfvking beekeeper' she can walk..
derogatory...no?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Chobits
there is no such thing as a muslim race. a convert to Islam is a 100% real muslim.

f she wants to look like a 'motherfvking beekeeper' she can walk..
derogatory...no?

Sounds like you think a person's religion is ABOVE THE LAW???

You supported her lawsuit requesting for permission (AS AN EX-FELON) to hide her visual identity from law enforcement officials under the guise of religion? <<if that correct?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Islam allows for the showing of a woman's face for the greater good of the community. Islamic women in Islamic countries have full face photos on their licenses.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Bigdude
Isn't it a Muslim belief that women can't drive?

Is it ignorance that guides all of your beliefs? Only the Saudis stop women from driving (not counting the Taliban). Other Islamic countries allow driving, and require women to remove any veils covering their face for ID purposes.

From CNN

DRIVER'S ID RULES IN MUSLIM NATIONS

Saudi Arabia: Women aren't allowed to drive
Iran: Women wear a traditional chador, which does not cover the face.
Egypt: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
United Arab Emirates: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Oman: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Kuwait: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Qatar: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Bahrain: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures
Jordan: Women can drive if their faces are covered but do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Prosecutors had argued that allowing people to cover all but their eyes in their ID pictures would undermine efforts to prevent terrorism.
This is stupid. How about the simple argument that covering her face undermines the effort to properly identify her as a licensed driver.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
There is no need to attack or villify this woman. But there are some on these forums who allow their prejudices to rule everything they do.

Whether or not you believe a religious convert is truly among the faithful (exmaple: if a person becomes a born again Christian does this mean they aren't really a Christian?), or for those people who are immature enough to joke about the clothing people of other religious beliefs wear (plenty of fodder for this mill with the costumes major religions have dreamed up) the point of this matter is the state issues driver's licenses and has the authority to demand a picture that can be used to identify the driver.

That's the only point and it is a valid point. The woman claims her religious beliefs would be violated by allowing men to see her without her veil. The state offered to set up a special photo session for this woman where there would be only female DMV personnel present. That was more than fair. If she doesn't want to meet the state half way after the state offered to accomodate her religious beliefs then she doesn't get a driver's license. Period.

No need for anyone here to show their prejudices regarding religions or cultures other than their own. This is America after all, not some backwater repressive theocracy, isn't it?

After all, one of the principal reasons people came to the new world was the freedom to practice their religion.......or the freedom to practice no religion.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
But there are some on these forums who allow their prejudices to rule everything they do.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. I hope your treatment goes well.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
But there are some on these forums who allow their prejudices to rule everything they do.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. I hope your treatment goes well.

Stay true to your screen name.