Judge Judy vs Ebay seller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Dunbar
Originally posted by: mugs
Did you read my post? :confused: That's what I said.

I was disagreeing about the part where they split the remaining money left after the judgment. Unless you can link to proof of that I have a hard time believing it.

Watch the end credits. Not sure if Judge Judy works that way, but I know other similar shows do.

Also, Wikipedia says it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Judy
The award for each judgment is paid by the producers of the show from a fund reserved for each case. The remainder of the fund is split between the parties for a particular case.

Not that Wikipedia is necessarily right.

damn you! i was going to link that. sigh i spent 2 minutes finding it and highlighting the text. sigh thank you very much!@ :disgust:

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
damn you! i was going to link that. sigh i spent 2 minutes finding it and highlighting the text. sigh thank you very much!@ :disgust:

LOL, I was going to look on Wiki before posting that but I'm still at work. Are you sure they have a full $5k for each case? Seems really high to me.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Dunbar
Originally posted by: waggy

LOL, I was going to look on Wiki before posting that but I'm still at work. Are you sure they have a full $5k for each case? Seems really high to me.

Yeah, I remember reading that on wikipedia as well.

If you think about it, though, $5k/case isn't all that much money, considering they handle what, two or three cases per show? They probably make that (and more) back from the first commercial break.

Edit: Also, without a split pot-type situation, there'd be little incentive for a defendant to agree to come on the show unless they were filing a counter suit.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I never knew that about the judgement payments. interesting.

The fat bitch should have all her kids removed from the bitches house, and she should be neutured/spayed, whatever the fvck you would do to a cow like that.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
I saw it, but I doubt it's $5K per case. What about cases that only dispute $700? They wouldn't send $5K to the parties...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: simms
I saw it, but I doubt it's $5K per case. What about cases that only dispute $700? They wouldn't send $5K to the parties...

what happens is you sue someone for $5k. they set 5k aside. say you win $4000. that leaves $1k left. that $1k is split between the two.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Whisper
Edit: Also, without a split pot-type situation, there'd be little incentive for a defendant to agree to come on the show unless they were filing a counter suit.

Oh, I don't know, I would think the following would be incentives:

1) Quick resolution vs. long wait in public courts.
2) Defendant guaranteed not to have to pay judgement.
3) Get to tell your friends you were on "Judge Judy" :)

I mean I doubt people are getting paid to go on Jerry Springer and Montel. So why would the court shows be any different? I'm sure they can afford it, that show rakes in huge fees in syndication. But why pay that kind of money if you don't need to?