Question JRE v1.7 in XP Pro; specific application needs this to run

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I have a specific application that controls an external device (not PC related) that needs Java RE v1.7 to work. Apparently between Oracle & M$, neither are compatible or supported in one way or another.
Oracle calls v 1.7, "7" adding to the confusion.

This x64 version of JRE v1.7 (after I searched for the right version since it's not in Oracles web site) works in Win 7 Pro Ok;

The 32bit version does not extract/install properly in a older Gateway (Wintell) Notebook running XP Pro;

But, it does install properly in a slightly newer HP AMD Laptop

The application that needs all of this is here;

See my updated last post.

Last edited:

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I tried that, but you have to have an business account to d/l which I have no intention of doing that requires full info (addresses etc).
Besides their lame website isn't compatible with older Mozilla browsers which work fimne on 95% of any other sites..

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Reactions: videobruce

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I tried that, but you have to have an business account to d/l which I have no intention of doing that requires full info (addresses etc).
Besides their lame website isn't compatible with older Mozilla browsers which work fimne on 95% of any other sites..

FWIW, you can create an account with fake info. Agreed, their website is garbage.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Garbage like their lame software (that I never needed until now).
AFA creating a fake account, I thought about that but I shouldn't have to for some 10 year old software.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Garbage like their lame software (that I never needed until now).

I hate java. I have some old servers that need java for their remote console. It doesn't work if you update java to too high of a version. I found Linux to work better for this as you can use some opensource java packages, though getting it working was a bit of a chore. Thank god all the new stuff uses HTML5.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Java, JS, Flash all problematic bloated POS's.

Not necessary here, but some don't understand that newer versions won't work with a program that was designed for a older version. Just like M$'s bloated NetFramework.

Last edited:

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I did update my OP!

I did some further testing. I tried installing this in my somewhat newer AMD based HP ProBook and it installed/extracted properly.
What I did this time was to install JRE first, then the devices program.

Then I went back to the problematic Gateway Notebook, uninstalled the program and started from scratch, installing JRE first. Same thing, it didn't extract fully.

What I'm referring to is in the JRE installation folder, all that is there is a single 0kb file and a "core.zip" folder. Nothing else. What should be there are a few text files, a welcome html file and two folders "bin" and "lib".
I opened (unpacked) this 'core.zip' folder and those other 2 folders were there, both full of files (590 to be exact). I manually extracted the core folder, but since it wasn't in the installation 'mode', whatever is placed in the Windows folder (or wherever the .dll's etc are placed it didn't happen.

I hope I explained it correctly, lacking some technical terms.

Ok, the question now is, since both computers are running the exact same XP Pro w/sp3 O/S, why the difference (other than the MB's chipsets)?

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Let me ask this, what in the O/S would cause a non M$ program not to install properly as in not fully extracting? That basically seems to be the problem.