[JPR] The balance of power in gaming

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Quite interesting stats about GPUs used in x86-based gaming machines.

AMD have a major share :flushed:

Jon Pedie said:
For this report, we are looking strictly at x86-based machines used for gaming. Those machines fall into three platforms, consoles, notebooks, and desktops. And although some x86-bassed tablets were made and presumably could be used for gaming, we categorize them the same as an ARM-based device running Android, or a smaller version of windows, and are not included in this report...
charts-q32016blrbcz.png

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Will be mildly interesting to see if the Nintendo Switch can make any dent in that number. And of course as a corollary to that, it will be interesting to see how many multi-platform titles will be launched on the Switch as well as PC.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
Nintendo switch? Is that not Arm? It will never be counted. Heck, they purged even the x86 tablets from this bizarre report.

This really makes no sense. Adding up shipments and sales from all the way back to 2010 as if they are all still in use, is one thing. Then vastly different platforms which are entirely incompatible. Its x86 so lets add them all up..lol
But turn around and throw out a huge chunk of x86 mobile? Because???

Yeah, its very very strange. But hats off to that

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Nintendo switch? Is that not Arm? It will never be counted. Heck, they purged even the x86 tablets from this bizarre report.

This really makes no sense. Adding up shipments and sales from all the way back to 2010 as if they are all still in use, is one thing. Then vastly different platforms which are entirely incompatible. Its x86 so lets add them all up..lol
But turn around and throw out a huge chunk of x86 mobile? Because???

Yeah, its very very strange. But hats off to that

Im not sure about their numbers, but your analysis is surely wrong.
Adding up shipments and sales can't result in decrease in units. At least until they are not selling negative hardware, like a negative 0.5GB of VRAM ;)

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I dunno if this article is to motivate stock holders or make supporters feel good. But when I see something like "57% of gamers run AMD" and then peek around other data sets - I'm blown away. They "have" so much market presence yet Intel/NV are DESTROYING them in making money?

This doesn't bolster confidence in AMD as a company. Just reminds me how they basically give their tech away. Will be interesting to see how this data gets used in more casual forums.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
switch could be another Wii (success) or another Wii U (failure), it will be interesting to see, but it could be a huge boost for Nvidia, it clearly looks like winning Sony and keeping Microsoft was very important for AMD, but now they lost Nintendo, which they had since the Gamecube (well ATI bought the company that made that GPU).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
The bad news is their dedicated GPU sales took a big hit from 2015 to 2016. Much bigger than Nvidia's.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I dunno if this article is to motivate stock holders or make supporters feel good. But when I see something like "57% of gamers run AMD" and then peek around other data sets - I'm blown away. They "have" so much market presence yet Intel/NV are DESTROYING them in making money?

This doesn't bolster confidence in AMD as a company. Just reminds me how they basically give their tech away. Will be interesting to see how this data gets used in more casual forums.

The markets disagree amd is up 10%. (11/17, dated in case future discussion calls for it)
But I'm extremely wary of amd stock. I knew Nvidia would jump up but not by the amount it did. I can only see amd stock falling in the future once people realize that amd is simply unable to be profitable even if the product is good.

Last edited:

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
What? Where you found they used a data from Steam?

Did you read the articles you linked to?

Based on Steam user data, we conclude that 16.5% of desktop machines used for gaming are using Intel integrated graphics (Southeast Asia represents about 6.5 percent of Valve’s global Steam gamers). Steam data does not differentiate desktop from notebook integrated graphics. Therefore, we applied the same percentage to Intel for notebooks and based on the AMD to Intel integrated notebook ratio (our quarterly data collection of mobile integrated GPU shipments), normalized AMD’s notebook integrated gamer utilization.

We also used steam data to estimate the market share for AMD and Nvidia mobile discrete GPUs used for gaming based on our quarterly data collection of mobile discrete GPU shipments.

Warning issued for inappropriate content.
-- stahlhart

Aug 11, 2008
Obviously if one includes consoles, that increases AMD's market share tremendously. That is one way to look at it, but it really seems an apples to oranges comparison since neither Intel or nVidia is competing in that segment.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
Obviously if one includes consoles, that increases AMD's market share tremendously. That is one way to look at it, but it really seems an apples to oranges comparison since neither Intel or nVidia is competing in that segment.

AMD aren't competing in the high end GPU arena at the moment, so I think it's fair for consoles to be included :)

Plus NVIDIA are going to be powering the Switch, so they are indeed going to be competing in that segment.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

Since we are doing disingenuous comparisons why not put ARM powered stuff in there too and make every x86 player look bad.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
Since we are doing disingenuous comparisons why not put ARM powered stuff in there too and make every x86 player look bad.

They don't only use X86 data. Look at 2010 consoles. These amd gpus are from Xbox 360, which is PowerPC. So they include PowerPc with Xbox 360, but not ARM and also not Nvidias Numbers in PS3? This is just ridiculous. Cherry picking at its best.

But they used Steam data....That's bad, right?

And whereas Steam threads are directly closed, data based on steam numbers is ok put together if you mix it with other rubbish data. People here have strange double standards.

Edited: Changed Xbox One to Xbox360

Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
They don't only use X86 data. Look at 2010 consoles. These amd gpus are from Xbox One, which is PowerPC. So they include PowerPc with Xbox One, but not ARM and also not Nvidias Numbers in PS3? This is just ridiculous. Cherry picking at its best.

And whereas Steam threads are directly closed, data based on steam numbers is ok put together if you mix it with other rubbish data. People here have strange double standards.
You may have a point, but you made a mistake.
Xbone is not PowerPC. It is running on amd mobile 8 core CPU.

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012

Xbox One didn't launch until 2013 though, so for the 2010-2012 numbers they would have had to use the numbers from the Xbox 360 and the Wii, both of which did indeed feature PowerPC CPUs (and ATI graphics)*.

I think the reason why they didn't include ARM is because they consider ARM to be isolated to the casual gaming market:
partial-demographic-of-the-gamer-community-JP-e1479306011900.png

This is possibly true as far as smartphones and tablets are concerned, but it isn't really true as far as the PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS are concerned, and furthermore it doesn't explain why they included the Xbox 360 and Wii (PowerPC) in their numbers, but not the PS3 (Cell and Nvidia GPU).

*In fact looking at their 2012 number, they must have included more than just the Xbox 360 and the Wii, since those two wouldn't add up to a cumulative total of 195 million at that point in time (I don't think they would even hit that today). The only other console featuring ATI graphics I could find was the gamecube, but if they included that, then there's a whole slew of other consoles that should also have been included.

Last edited:

Samwell

May 10, 2015

As antihelten already wrote i made a mistake and meant Xbox360. But there's the point, include the 360 but don't include the PS3 makes zero sense. If they make such a comparison, then only PS4 and Xbox One from 2013 should be included as it's X86 and nothing else or they need to include all consoles.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
The markets disagree amd is up 10%. (11/17, dated in case future discussion calls for it)
But I'm extremely wary of amd stock. I knew Nvidia would jump up but not by the amount it did. I can only see amd stock falling in the future once people realize that amd is simply unable to be profitable even if the product is good.

I'm aware AMD is now, like within the last year, doing great in the stock market. But these numbers are dated back to 2010. They were in even more percentage of gamer's hardware in 2010 based on the numbers and their financial profits were atrocious.

While I'm sure people will just assume I'm trying to crap on the parade, but I'm seriously curious outside of trying to prop AMD what does stating they are in 57% of gamer's hardware do when they don't show the financial muscle to support it? It just gives the impression AMD can't capitalize on their market presence.

You guys know JPR works for AMD, right?

If this is true, this sort of goes more into my question of the purpose of the article. With the recent FUDzilla article - is it just fluff pieces to counter NV's quarterly report?

Mar 10, 2006
While I'm sure people will just assume I'm trying to crap on the parade, but I'm seriously curious outside of trying to prop AMD what does stating they are in 57% of gamer's hardware do when they don't show the financial muscle to support it? It just gives the impression AMD can't capitalize on their market presence.

100% PR driven to build brand awareness and to push the stock up.