Journey to REFORMAT!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
No I am just using the XP Installation disc that came with my computer.

People still use those on purpose?

huh? what else are you supposed to use? :confused:

I guess I assumed everyone (at least that used a tech site like this) knew how to make a slipstreamed XP install cd. Especially with programs like Nlite that makes it a piece of cake.

In a nutshell, when you make a slipstreamed install disk you can add all the service packs, updates and hotfixes onto the install cd. You can also remove parts of windows that you don't need/want, make the install completely automated, include third party drivers, customize your settings, add programs to be installed (automated as well).

When I reformat I update my slipstream disk (using Nlite). Pop in the CD and walk away. When I come back windows is fully installed, all of my current drivers (mobo, video etc.) are installed, windows is completely up to date without ever connecting to the web, a dozen or so necessary programs are already installed (firefox, Sygate, AVG, etc..), and the vast majority of the tweaks I use are already done.

Installing XP is no longer a PITA. Just pop in a disk and 95% of the work is done for you completely unattended. Check it out http://www.nliteos.com/guide/">Nlite</a>

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If you didn't want to read it, you didn't have to click it. I was just having a little fun novelizing something that everyone else has been through.

why do we need as novelization of something everyone has been through? we know what happens, its fucking boring as hell...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I know everyone's been using this thread to mess around. But I really need your help now. The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is not reading the file that I already saved. Story below...

I transfered all of the settings and files that I needed into the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my old computer which I cannot access anymore. Now that I'm on my new computer, I can run the wizard, but when I get to the "Where are the files and settings?" and I point it to the folder that the files are in. It says, "The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path in the edit box. If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive." HELP please. I really need help because all of my configuration files were in the wizard.

PLEASE HELP!!!

when you say your "old computer" do you mean a completely separate computer from the one you are reformating or the same one?

if it is a separate computer and you can't access it anymore, why the fuck did you transfer to a computer you can't access any more?

if its the same pc - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I've been on the same install since November 2004 and I'm too lazy to reformat... I should at least back stuff up I guess eh... lolz

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Dang it! I thought that Steve Perry was coming back to Journey for a reunion tour...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Although this thread is annoying and your request for help is in the wrong place, I still feel bad.

Go here, scroll down to "Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard image." Download the zip containing fastconv and Rmv2opq (if necessary) here. Follow the instructions.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Update: OK, thanks for joining the "Journey to REFORMAT". I got the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to work and I am now up and running. Thank you for your help and stay tuned for more journeys to come. That was very eventful wasn't it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Update: OK, thanks for joining the "Journey to REFORMAT". I got the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to work and I am now up and running. Thank you for your help and stay tuned for more journeys to come. That was very eventful wasn't it?

no

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
It takes me less than 1 minute to redo my computer. Here's the entire process:

1. Revert to snapshot.