John Deere Strike

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

More than 10,000 workers at 14 different John Deere locations went on strike at the stroke of midnight after the United Auto Workers union said it was unable to reach a new contract with the tractor company.

They've forced the salaried workers onto the floor to replace the striking workers and it's not going great

I hope the have a lot of spare parts available in storage because this is the time that farmers need them..

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IATSE is going to strike on Monday unless the studios cave this weekend. 60,000 people.

We seem to be entering something of a moment for labor.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Because of the pandemic, and solely due to the pandemic, people are now realizing their "worth" to businesses and corporations. Before, people were made to believe their job(s) were expendable and "you'd better do what you are told" and "you can easily be replaced". Obviously, that was truly never the case yet justification for paying employee crap wages and convincing employees that they had no rights nor did they deserve rights. The employers pulled all the shots.

Things have changed!
In todays world, the workers realized that they are the most important part of business. Not the company brand, not the profit margin, not the rating on NASDAQ, and not the CEO bonuses. The employee coming to work every day and doing their job is what makes a business, a business. Finally, workers across America are waking up, demanding decent wages and fair treatment. They are mad as hell and they are not going to take this anymore.

What we have brewing out there goes far beyond unionization. Workers across America are actually at war with employers. Those companies and corporations making billions each year, yet treating their workers as if this were some third world country. Lets just see who blinks first...

• Love
Reactions: Thump553

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I work for Magellan and we striked for 2 months this year for a 1.5% raise, at least 2.5% below inflation.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay
Mar 11, 2004
Fuck John Deere. They started the whole anti right to repair….

I hope this bites them in the ass hard

And they're going even harder on that. I think they just held a conference where that issue was the primary thing being "discussed" (which means they just were dissemenating talking points for other companies to use).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Imagine needing an union and a strike to get 3% annual raises at the same time the company and shareholders are seeing massive profits.. wtf.
I'm in higher Ed and we're in the same boat. Uni beat expectations in 2020 but we still got skipped over for raises because of the COVID.

Jan 25, 2011
People are finally waking up and realizing they want lives. They don’t want to be forced to work 7 days a week. They don’t want to have to work three jobs just to survive. They want to have a quality of life they are actually happy with. i truly hope they days of forcing people to work overtime and run them to the bone are coming to an end.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
IATSE is going to strike on Monday unless the studios cave this weekend. 60,000 people.

We seem to be entering something of a moment for labor.
I had great hopes for labor and consumers at the start of the shutdowns. Looks like I was at least correct about labor. Between strikes and the great quitting.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Because of the pandemic, and solely due to the pandemic, people are now realizing their "worth" to businesses and corporations. Before, people were made to believe their job(s) were expendable and "you'd better do what you are told" and "you can easily be replaced". Obviously, that was truly never the case yet justification for paying employee crap wages and convincing employees that they had no rights nor did they deserve rights. The employers pulled all the shots.

Things have changed!
In todays world, the workers realized that they are the most important part of business. Not the company brand, not the profit margin, not the rating on NASDAQ, and not the CEO bonuses. The employee coming to work every day and doing their job is what makes a business, a business. Finally, workers across America are waking up, demanding decent wages and fair treatment. They are mad as hell and they are not going to take this anymore.

What we have brewing out there goes far beyond unionization. Workers across America are actually at war with employers. Those companies and corporations making billions each year, yet treating their workers as if this were some third world country. Lets just see who blinks first...
It's a nice little theory, but my hunch is enhanced unemployment is the driving force behind so many people not going back to work. Pay people to not work and that's exactly what they'll do.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi
Jan 25, 2011
It's a nice little theory, but my hunch is enhanced unemployment is the driving force behind so many people not going back to work. Pay people to not work and that's exactly what they'll do.
Of course you say that. It’s what you’ve been told to say. The reality is where they cut everything off, it’s still not happening.

Here’s an idea. Listen to what is actually being said by the people in these jobs. you Might actually learn something. Here’s a tip. Being at home DID make people realize something. It’s just not what you seem to think it is.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nope. What happened was that lots and lots of people were just getting by working jobs they hated because they thought they had job security. And then COVID hit and they found out they didn't. And without that promise of job security, why would they stay at a job where they and their work aren't properly valued? And if they were laid off, why would they go back to that when they can find something better?
The 'Great Resignation' isn't just affecting the lower end of the labor market, as your 'hunch' implies, it's affecting every part of it. For example, these John Deere workers probably do alright, certainly not minimum wage jobs. But after busting their asses through COVID and seeing the stock climb 200%+, and then management won't even give them a 3% raise? Yeah, they're pissed.. and rightly so.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Of course you say that. It’s what you’ve been told to say. The reality is where they cut everything off, it’s still not happening.

Here’s an idea. Listen to what is actually being said by the people in these jobs. you Might actually learn something. Here’s a tip. Being at home DID make people realize something. It’s just not what you seem to think it is.
The conservative attitude on employment is that everyone should be thankful to be a slave, themselves included.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Word on another board is that the CEO just got a 'raise' of over 100%. If that's true, the union should stick it to them hard.
Looks like he also may have done some insider trading by selling stock ahead of union vote announcement.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
You may be right about enhanced unemployment is the driving force, but how do you explain the continued "Great Resignation" even after it has ended in some states? It's a fair question and looking forward to your response.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So why aren’t people flooding back to fill those low wage jobs now?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You may be right about enhanced unemployment is the driving force, but how do you explain the continued "Great Resignation" even after it has ended in some states? It's a fair question and looking forward to your response.
If lots of people are quitting their jobs then they don't need the income or have something else lined up. They must have some form of income or savings, otherwise it's a pretty serious mistake.
I have in the past worked for absolute shit wages. I did it because shit wages were a lot better than no wages. It allowed me to keep my home. Did it suck? You bet. But it didn't suck as much as losing everything and starting over again.

Where I live a single person needs to make at least $30 an hour to survive. That's a cheap apartment and a car that's paid for. It's what I would call a living wage, it's enough and no more. Should Mickey D's be paying that much? How high do their prices have to go so they can afford to double labor costs?
The reality is bottom end jobs pay bottom end money. Running the deep fryer isn't a carrier, it's a short term gig until something better comes along. It's also tough on business. Last Thursday I paid $15 bucks for a sandwich, it was a pretty good sandwich, and it came with a slice of pickle, but I'll never go back to that place again. In my opinion they've priced themselves out of the market.

We can mandate any minimum wage we want, the question is, will consumers pay for those products and services? Will they use them less? Or will they decide that that fellow running the deep fryer needs a nice house and pay $15 for a big mac?

Reactions: pcgeek11

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If lots of people are quitting their jobs then they don't need the income or have something else lined up. They must have some form of income or savings, otherwise it's a pretty serious mistake.
I have in the past worked for absolute shit wages. I did it because shit wages were a lot better than no wages. It allowed me to keep my home. Did it suck? You bet. But it didn't suck as much as losing everything and starting over again.

Where I live a single person needs to make at least $30 an hour to survive. That's a cheap apartment and a car that's paid for. It's what I would call a living wage, it's enough and no more. Should Mickey D's be paying that much? How high do their prices have to go so they can afford to double labor costs?
The reality is bottom end jobs pay bottom end money. Running the deep fryer isn't a carrier, it's a short term gig until something better comes along. It's also tough on business. Last Thursday I paid $15 bucks for a sandwich, it was a pretty good sandwich, and it came with a slice of pickle, but I'll never go back to that place again. In my opinion they've priced themselves out of the market.

We can mandate any minimum wage we want, the question is, will consumers pay for those products and services? Will they use them less? Or will they decide that that fellow running the deep fryer needs a nice house and pay $15 for a big mac?

Enough will to keep some of the current restaurants open. People are done with Desperation.

Also, if you did those shit jobs decades ago, you lack the context of Today. Things have changed to the worse in numerous ways.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
he can be happy that others are working shit jobs. It is the #1 tool in the conservitard toolbox. As long as his shit sandwich is made with premium bread he can point to the wonderbread shit sandwich guy and be happy.