John Bolton screams out the quiet part

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A former US ambassador to the UN folks, of course appointed by a Republican, and who's had various positions under many of the previous Republican administrations. Of course during the shady shit they do which brings blowback to America

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why I'm simply mortified at the mere implication that the US Government has been involved in organizing foreign rebellions!?!

:rolleyes:;)

This completely sucks and is in no way something the US should ever be involved in HOWEVER it's not the first.... or the 15th time we've done so historically.

Anyone shocked by this needs to read up on the history of the CIA in the Middle East/North Africa and Central America especially.

It's pretty grim. :confused:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Why I'm simply mortified at the mere implication that the US Government has been involved in organizing foreign rebellions!?!

This completely sucks and is in no way something the US should ever be involved in HOWEVER it's not the first.... or the 15th time we've done so historically.

Anyone shocked by this needs to read up on the history of the CIA in the Middle East/North Africa and Central America especially.

Yep, CIA has always had a conflict between the college boys and the cowboys. Normally the ex-military. Don't know if Bolton was ex military but I'm sure he was in the cowboy camp. I'm just surprised at how all those words just rolled off the tongue. Truely, a POS.

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Yep. The problem is most Americans have no idea how we have reshaped certain countries, and many times for the worse, causing severe blowback to a region or to us. That ignorance is costing us mightily.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I mean, I thought this was pretty common knowledge?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yep. The problem is most Americans have no idea how we have reshaped certain countries, and many times for the worse, causing severe blowback to a region or to us. That ignorance is costing us mightily.
Whatever are you talking about?

History of U.S. Interventions in Latin America:
Location Period Type of Force Comments on U.S. Role
[*]Argentina 1890 Troops Buenos Aires interests protected
[*]Chile 1891 Troops Marines clash with nationalist rebels
[*]Haiti 1891 Troops Black workers revolt on U.S.-claimed Navassa Island defeated
[*]Nicaragua 1894 Troops Month-long occupation of Bluefields
[*]Panama 1895 Naval, troops Marines land in Colombian province
[*]Nicaragua 1896 Troops Marines land in port of Corinto
[*]Cuba 1898- Naval, troops Seized from Spain, U.S. still holds Navy base at Guantanamo
[*]Puerto Rico 1898- Naval, troops Seized from Spain, occupation continues
[*]Nicaragua 1898 Troops Marines land at port of San Juan del Sur
[*]Nicaragua 1899 Troops Marines land at port of Bluefields
[*]Honduras 1903 Troops Marines intervene in revolution
[*]Dominican Republic 1903-04 Troops U.S. interests protected in Revolution
[*]Cuba 1906-09 Troops Marines land in democratic election
[*]Nicaragua 1907 Troops "Dollar Diplomacy" protectorate set up
[*]Honduras 1907 Troops Marines land during war with Nicaragua
[*]Panama 1908 Troops Marines intervene in election contest
[*]Nicaragua 1910 Troops Marines land in Bluefields and Corinto
[*]Honduras 1911 Troops U.S. interests protected in civil war
[*]Cuba 1912 Troops U.S. interests protected in Havana
[*]Panama 1912 Troops Marines land during heated election
[*]Honduras 1912 Troops Marines protect U.S. economic interests
[*]Nicaragua 1912-33 Troops, bombing 20-year occupation, fought guerrillas
[*]Mexico 1913 Naval Americans evacuated during revolution
[*]Dominican Republic 1914 Naval Fight with rebels over Santo Domingo
[*]Mexico 1914-18 Naval, troops Series of interventions against nationalists
[*]Haiti 1914-34 Troops, bombing 19-year occupation after revolts
[*]Dominican Republic 1916-24 Troops 8-year Marine occupation
[*]Cuba 1917-33 Troops Military occupation, economic protectorate
[*]Panama 1918-20 Troops "Police duty" during unrest after elections
[*]Honduras 1919 Troops Marines land during election campaign
[*]Guatemala 1920 Troops 2-week intervention against unionists
[*]Costa Rica 1921 Troops
[*]Panama 1921 Troops
[*]Honduras 1924-25 Troops Landed twice during election strife
[*]Panama 1925 Troops Marines suppress general strike
[*]El Salvador 1932 Naval Warships sent during Faribundo Marti revolt
[*]Uruguay 1947 Nuclear threat Bombers deployed as show of strength
[*]Puerto Rico 1950 Command operation Independence rebellion crushed in Ponce
[*]Guatemala 1954-? Command operation, bombing, nuclear threat CIA directs exile invasion and coup d'Etat after newly elected government nationalizes unused U.S.'s United Fruit Company lands; bombers based in Nicaragua; long-term result: 200,000 murdered
[*]Panama 1958 Troops Flag protests erupt into confrontation
[*]Cuba 1961 Command operation CIA-directed exile invasion fails
[*]Cuba 1962 Nuclear threat, naval Blockade during missile crisis; near-war with Soviet Union
[*]Panama 1964 Troops Panamanians shot for urging canal's return
[*]Dominican Republic 1965-66 Troops, bombing Marines land during election campaign
[*]Guatemala 1966-67 Command operation Green Berets intervene against rebels
[*]Chile 1973 Command operation CIA-backed coup ousts democratically elected Marxist president
[*]El Salvador 1981-92 Command operation, troops Advisors, overflights aid anti-rebel war, soldiers briefly involved in hostage clash; long-term result: 75,000 murdered and destruction of popular movement
[*]Nicaragua 1981-90 Command operation, naval CIA directs exile (Contra) invasions, plants harbor mines against revolution; result: 50,000 murdered
[*]Honduras 1982-90 Troops Maneuvers help build bases near borders
[*]Grenada 1983-84 Troops, bombing Invasion four years after revolution
[*]Bolivia 1987 Troops Army assists raids on cocaine region
[*]Panama 1989 Troops, bombing Nationalist government ousted by 27,000 soldiers, leaders arrested, 2000+ killed
[*]Haiti 1994-95 Troops, naval Blockade against military government; troops restore President Aristide to office three years after coup
[*]Venezuela 2002 Command operation Failed coup attempt to remove left-populist president Hugo Chavez
[*]Haiti 2004- Troops Removal of democratically elected President Aristide; troops occupy country
+ any more recent adventures.

Link

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
That's why it's funny to hear people complain about all those latin American immigrants...well...the US kinda screwed some of those countries over, hence people there are trying to find a better life elsewhere.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Actually, I’m not that upset at the idea of someone running that’s willing to treat Trump like the bitch he is. I dunno that Trump makes it to the actual primaries, but if he does a candidate or two that are really just there to punk him sounds alright.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I guess if you are trying to unite Dems with the magas this is probably one way to do it.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

I mean, the USA got started when the French helped organise a foreign rebellion in the 13 Colonies... They're just keeping up the tradition.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I mean, the USA got started when the French helped organise a foreign rebellion in the 13 Colonies... They're just keeping up the tradition.

In a similar fashion to the way the British Empire was the British doing to the rest of the world what the Romans had done to them.

(Strikes me that Boudicca's revolt has a lot of similarities to the various anti-colonial struggles - including the occasional vengeful massacre of civilian colonisers, and the colonial rulers tending to constantly alternate between ruthless suppression and 'winning hearts and minds' and 'divide and rule'...a great pity that guerilla tactics hadn't been fully developed back then, allowing the Romans to ultimately defeat her in a traditional head-to-head battle...I mean, OK, she burned Colchester to the ground and put all the inhabitants to the sword, but anyone who's ever been to that town will have to admit she had a point)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Bolton makes an interesting argument. Essentially he says that Trump isn't organized enough and thinks too shallowly to be able to seriously plan a coup attempt. Traditionally the "he's too dumb to pull off the crime" has not been recognized as a criminal defense.

Basically this is yet another display of Bolton's outsized ego.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Well. Suppose you didnt. Or had never, at all.
Then someone else would have. Yes I am looking at you Russia. China.
Could there have been better ways to go about it? Sure.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That fucking slimeweasel. It made me ill when he got his 15 minutes of fame and money from a book that said he supported the other treasonous bastard, until he didn't.

Reactions: hal2kilo