John Allen now under investigation

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
this is how retarded our top cia guys are: petraeus avoided sending broadwell emails by opening a gmail account, writing nasty emails to her, saving them as drafts and then giving her his password so she could read them. with guys like this in charge of the military/intelligence its no wonder were losing in afghanistan and iraq. he also supposedly balled her on the floor behind his desk at the cia

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I'm still a little puzzled why we care so much about people's affairs. Stupid? Sure. Affects my life? Nope.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
If there's a silver lining in this mess, it is the at least partial dispelling of the "military as unquestionable superheros" myth, especially among those on the right.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I'm still a little puzzled why we care so much about people's affairs. Stupid? Sure. Affects my life? Nope.

It is a problem for the head of the CIA if he can't keep his dick in his pants. That is a very easily exploited flaw for other countries wanting to get our secrets.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

I guess you missed the harassing part and her having classified information on her computer?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It is a problem for the head of the CIA if he can't keep his dick in his pants. That is a very easily exploited flaw for other countries wanting to get our secrets.

Yes - its a good thing we remove all types of important officials who hold high profile, high access offices and have affairs :rolleyes: If we tolerate it in some higher profile positions it should be tolerated in others

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I guess you missed the harassing part and her having classified information on her computer?

I have not heard anything about her actually having classified information on her computer. Link?

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Yes - its a good thing we remove all types of important officials who hold high profile, high access offices and have affairs :rolleyes: If we tolerate it in some higher profile positions it should be tolerated in others

You don't know shit about the Intelligence field let alone the dangers of allowing such individuals to hold high security clearances. People that have access to the nation's highest secrets are held to a higher standard. :rolleyes:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

Agree x 100000.

I can imagine dumbasses will someone saying 1 + 1 = 2 isn't true because he/she had an affair.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You don't know shit about the Intelligence field let alone the dangers of allowing such individuals to hold high security clearances. People that have access to the nation's highest secrets are held to a higher standard. :rolleyes:

You clearly don't know shit about other cases where people holding positions with very high levels of clearance had affairs and kept their job. :rolleyes:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Really?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Broadwell+classified

So I take it you have not even gone any furthur than headlines then.

I don't believe that possession of classified documents = illegal since she has a security clearance. I could be wrong but no one is bringing charges (at least yet) over the documents. They have had her computer since September

As an Army reservist with a background in counterintelligence, Broadwell had a high-level security clearance.

That information helped resolve concerns that there was a national-security breach, although the source of the documents hadn't been determined. The officials offered no specifics about what was in the documents.

FBI and Justice Department officials reassessed their investigation over the next several days and determined there wasn't sufficient cause to bring charges.

Apparently it was such a big deal that the FBI and Justice Department didn't feel the need to bring charges....

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

What kind of "classified" information? Did she have a clearance? Saying something is classified, isn't really saying anything, the type of information and clearance level is what's important.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
You clearly don't know shit about other cases where people holding positions with very high levels of clearance had affairs and kept their job. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can point to another CIA director that had put himself in a compromising situation like this and kept his job. And what's more, even if she had a clearance, she doesn't have the need to know. That's the biggest issue here, her relationship gave her access to 2 4star generals running a war. That's damn scary that their peckers put this country and thousands of soldiers at potential risk.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
I'm more concerned with why did some agent from the FBI essentially go on a witch hunt then prove National Security was not at risk and continue to dig up dirt. Where are the controls here? Minimum of one person's private communications were essentially spied upon now that seems to be running into a second and god knows how many people completely not involved in the circumstances where included in that 30k email figure.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
People that have access to the nation's highest secrets are held to a higher standard. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can point to another CIA director that had put himself in a compromising situation like this and kept his job.

Can you decide what you want to focus on here? Is it people with access to the nation's highest secrets or CIA directors? Lets try not to move the goalposts here...

And what's more, even if she had a clearance, she doesn't have the need to know. That's the biggest issue here, her relationship gave her access to 2 4star generals running a war. That's damn scary that their peckers put this country and thousands of soldiers at potential risk.

Yep - so scary that the FBI and Justice Department looked at it and decided that there was nothing to warrant charges being brought

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I don't believe that possession of classified documents = illegal since she has a security clearance. I could be wrong but no one is bringing charges (at least yet) over the documents. They have had her computer since September

Apparently it was such a big deal that the FBI and Justice Department didn't feel the need to bring charges....

Wow really?
She has clearance to be places; not need to know, let alone have classified information on her personal computer. Classified data/documents have to be transported in very specific ways.
You already looked like an idiot by just going by the “it’s only an affair…” even when many headlines showed why it was a real problem.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
It struck me as bizarre that despite the fact that Kelley was being portrayed as a mere innocent bystander, she had hired Abbe Lowell (a high-powered, high-profile criminal defense attorney who has represented, among others, Bill Clinton, Gary Condit and John Edwards). I expect this story will become even weirder as we learn more.

IMO the people calling this story a witch hunt about a personal matter are misguided. It is simply untenable to have a four-star general, much less the Director of Central Intelligence, carrying on in a manner which makes him readily susceptible to blackmail. The fact that it appears that either Petraeus or Allen or both may have permitted access to compartmentalized, classified information also makes this far worse.

Last edited: