Jobs you can do remotely from home?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Do you guys who work from home 100% of the time ever feel like you'll go crazy from lack of human interaction? I technically could wfh whenever I want, but I still go in to get face time and interact with humans.

I get annoyed by constant office noise, so I'd love to work from home.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Do you guys who work from home 100% of the time ever feel like you'll go crazy from lack of human interaction? I technically could wfh whenever I want, but I still go in to get face time and interact with humans.

There's a lot more of it than you might think, except that it all takes place over Skype or Hangouts.

But no, because I don't like most people anyway.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
40 servers sounds dreamy...I've been dealing with far more for the past few years. Yeah...IPMI is pretty huge. I've been using Dell's (Broadcom's) stuff for years, but Supermicro makes a lot for everyone else. If you can mount ISOs from a server room NAS or SAN, it makes for much quicker installs if you ever need to mount a DVD for remote installs.

With dual monitors running Xubuntu and multiple workspaces, I can manage just about anything. I just run Windows in Virtual Box for VMware Infrastructure Client, use Remmina for Linux to RDP, and SSH from terminal emulation....it's a pretty sweet setup.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
40 servers sounds dreamy...I've been dealing with far more for the past few years. Yeah...IPMI is pretty huge. I've been using Dell's (Broadcom's) stuff for years, but Supermicro makes a lot for everyone else. If you can mount ISOs from a server room NAS or SAN, it makes for much quicker installs if you ever need to mount a DVD for remote installs.

With dual monitors running Xubuntu and multiple workspaces, I can manage just about anything. I just run Windows in Virtual Box for VMware Infrastructure Client, use Remmina for Linux to RDP, and SSH from terminal emulation....it's a pretty sweet setup.

yes the remote mounting of iso is such a lifesaver.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002

i still have to grocery shop. might not even do that as often if i decide to do the blue apron home delivery thing. going out to dinner more often and with friends. I feel like i spend more time actually interacting than your average joe that works a normal 9-5.

my company decided to go full cloud based with almost every aspect. down to 3 vboxes and ~25-30 tabs. no hours just easy weekly deadlines that can be met in like 2 days. life has been so effortless since then.

there are a lot of other drawbacks to working from 100% home that literally only people that do will usually understand. human interaction is the least of it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Would be awesome to be able to work from home. I'd totally double dip. Do your job well but work on your own personal stuff at same time.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Seriously, though, how hard would it be to get a second work from home IT admin/monitoring job to go along with your first one?

Something in consulting would probably be best, as you can work it around your schedule better.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Whenever I work from home, my dog keeps bringing me toys and barking so that I stop and play with him. Then I stop to play with dog.

I guess that would change if I did it more often. I like being away for the day, though.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I work from home and it SUCKS. You would think it would be cool but its not. I could not stand being in an office for 40 hours a week but just to be able to have an office to go to 1-2 days a week would be great.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I work from home and it SUCKS. You would think it would be cool but its not. I could not stand being in an office for 40 hours a week but just to be able to have an office to go to 1-2 days a week would be great.

So.. working in an office sucks. Working from home sucks.

Working sucks?

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
So.. working in an office sucks. Working from home sucks.

Working sucks?

I'm in sales so I am on the road quite a bit but what I meant is I would prefer to work from an office to get all my shenanigans done than doing it from home.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Yes. I absolutely do. I'm not REAL social to begin with, but yes there are times where I might go a week w/o any interaction other than the wife and some IM's/phone conferences at work. I've found I'm much more social/talkative now when I do actually socialize where as I used to be pretty quiet.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
If there's something you're interested in but missing education to get there, study? Seems like you might be able to squeeze in a lot of study hours while on the clock, if you're disciplined enough.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah discipline is key... at my current job (office job, but it's fairly lax) I have tons of times I could study on stuff. I sometimes actually do, but most of the time I'm surfing the net.

Though often times I just want to learn more about a certain subject, so I'll google it and see what I find, just to keep busy. I monitor stuff, so as long as I'm watching alarms I can pretty much do anything. We're kind of like the fire department, sit around and wait till something happens, then you're very busy.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
I dont know, but a few people have mentioned financial markets trading. Its mostly gambling with the lack of insider information so dont listen to those suggestions I would say.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
That's not a job

If by "job" you mean making money, I would agree.

If by "job" as in being responsible for one's personal obligations, then I don't.

Anyways, I'd love to see you walk up to mothers and tell them that being a mother isn't a job.

1. Record the results on camera.
2. Upload for the world to see.
3. ?????????
4. PROFIT :awe:

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002

such as.

being face to face with your SO or kids 24/7 with little to no breaks. My SO happens to work from home fulltime as well but completely different field. This is a big one for us that dont have fairytale relationships.

Picking small stuff up on the way to and from work doesnt happen. they turn into inconvenient day trips. (energy drinks, coffee, smokes, etc)

Keeping focus, for me at least, is a lot more difficult for the easily distracted. Discipline is definitely a must, but again its not that easy for everyone.

The line between work/home is one big gray area. Among being tethered 10 steps from your office at all times your work assumes you are avail pretty much 24/7. On the other hand, everyone else in the world like friends and family, think you on vacation 24/7.

of course being able to spend so much time with my 1yr old and upcoming son outweighs all that, but i do miss working in the office.