Job situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Boy oh boy... quite the situation. Rather than long and winded, you get the bullet point version that is still long, but no wind (hopefully) - yay!

- Received an email a month ago from a company I turned down 3 years ago
- Gave it a shot and went for the interview
- Got the job and an excellent offer
- I plan on asking for more as it was still a little bit below my request, but likely I'll take it either way

Current situation:

- Just moved into this condo in March with a 1 yr lease
- Buyout on rest of lease written in contract for early termination
- Wife works, but part time.

The interesting mix to add to this is while I was interviewing, I gave them my wife's resume and said it would be an easier decision if she kept employment after moving. Fast forward to today, she did the phone interview and is set to be on site next week (aka, we're both going back).

Really I have 2 major concerns:

1 - I still want to ask for a 4-5k increase. I really think their offer was "fair" but was just short of what I was really wanting to get. Is asking for 4-5k a waste of time? Their initial offer also already included an extra starting week of vacation, however it just matches what I have now. It also can't go up whereas here I can earn another week. I'm debating asking for the raise and if they say no, see if I can wait until they make a decision on my wife.

2 - How to break it to the landlord? Honestly my landlord is pretty cool, it is his wife that is SCARY. I see her having the most issues. I figured I could do one of three things. One, find a renter for him. Two, offer to pay 1-2 months and possibly let him keep security deposit. Or 3, ask the company if I could move out later (which I think they would allow, I'd have a significant loss of income though).

Thoughts? I figure I'll probably just get made fun of, but whatever :).

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
pic of wives?

Negotiating is always good but must be done tactfully so as not the loose the opportunity. Leaving money on the table is stupid, so make sure you getting the full amount this position was budgeted for. Sometimes when you don't negotiate you might find out that your peers are making more... to avoid that negotiation is a must IMHO

Landlord situation - no idea what to do... sorry

Last edited:

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
pic of wives?

Negotiating is always good but must be done tactfully so as not the loose the opportunity. Leaving money on the table is stupid, so make sure you getting the full amount this position was budgeted for. Sometimes if you dont negotiate and when you get there you find out that your peers are making more... to avoid that negotiation is a much IMHO

Landlord situation - no idea what to do... sorry

I like the way you think

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
i would only negotiate salary if you are capable of walking away if you don't get what you want

otherwise there is no point in negotiating

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I wouldn't worry about the landlord's wife, deal with husband if you can. Either way, you have terms written down, so feel free to use them to your advantage if you need to terminate the lease.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Just an FYI.....

in lots of states, Landlords cannot double dip. That means they cannot collect that rest of the lease if you find a renter. Remember, this varies by state.

Nov 7, 2000
im not sure what your problem is with the lease. you say 'Buyout on rest of lease written in contract for early termination', so that pretty much is your option. no harm in asking, but if they are difficult about it, your hands are tied.

Status
Not open for further replies.