Job Opportunity Decisions

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
The work that I really enjoy is designing/programming/and implementing of .NET web applications. I also want a job that is more focused (my responsibilities have stretched as my current company has cut back on resources and have tried to saddle me with too much work to do a really good job at any of it). Finally, because I've been promoted from within, the monetary promotions have not been nearly what they should have been. I'm not complaining, because I'm paid very well for where I live and age, but based on my responsibilities...I'm way under paid.

So I've started looking into some jobs and have had some interviews and have gotten job offers/expecting job offers. Two jobs I'm nearly sure I'll get offers for are:

1) .NET System architect - Will be a 10K raise (this will be close to what I should be making at my current job if I was hired outside of the company), little travel, and looks to be right down my alley in terms of work. More "hands on".
2) SAP Consultant - I've interviewed and received a job offer through a contact (friend of a friend) who has a very successful SAP consulting firm. I have no SAP experience, but I have had a lot of experience with my current company's ERP package and I manage the team that does all design on our ERP package...so the firm feels I have the skillset they are looking for. This job will be a 15-20K (haven't nailed down the specific salary yet) salary hike from my current job. There will be LOTS of travel, and there seems to be a lot of future opportunities.

Both jobs are appealing to me at some level. I think i would enjoy the work for either. I'm not too keen on traveling all the time as I just got married...but in some ways the SAP job seems like it would open up a lot of job opportunities in the future.

So what do you guys think? What would you choose based on what I've said so far?

Update: Not sure if anyone cares, but after final negotiations and mulling over with the wife, I decided to take the SAP job. The company was very generous and met my dollar amount along with more vacation time than I currently get and an insane bonus plan. On top of that, they will put me up at furnished apartments on long projects where my wife can stay with me...so the travel will be less of a burden than originally expected. I'm really looking forward to starting.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
#2 but I like a challenge :)

Learning new skills and diversifying within your industry is always a great thing IMO.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
.NET System architect sounds like the next logical step in your current job path. SAP Consultant will be good experience for the resume but you will get tired of the traveling.

Tough decision. I would go with #1 b/c I know I would get tired of the traveling, especially since you're newly married.

Good luck.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
The money is in SAP. After two years or so you can write your own paycheck.

This is probably what draws me so much to the SAP job. Every once in a while you are given a shot at something that really gives you great career opportunities...and this seems like the one. I'm not confident I'll actually enjoy the job and I know the travel will get old...but the possible opportunities and knowing that there is a lot of money in SAP draws me to it.

Decisions, Decisions.

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
10000k/12 = ~833.33 per/month

833.33/4 = ~208.33 per/week

Is it really worth it? These numbers are all before taxes.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zombie

That's starting out. There's a shitload of money to be made in SAP. When I interned at Northrop Grumman, that's what everyone who worked there said to get into.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Zombie

That's starting out. There's a shitload of money to be made in SAP. When I interned at Northrop Grumman, that's what everyone who worked there said to get into.

The SAP job will be 15-20k jump (they've offered me 15K over what I make now...I'm looking for 20K.

I need to move on from my current job...there really isn't anything more for me here unless someone else retires/leaves (I'm only two spots away from CIO). So the money isn't so much the factor as the career path. SAP seems like a solid career path.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
this week on cheaters prickley pete is always on business but what is his wife up to! Well if you make good money already and are looking at adding 10k on top of that at a good company with no travel and a new wife and home that sounds like the hands down winner. If you want to make huge amounts of money but travel all the time and work a lot of overtime developing solutions you should go SAP.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jandrews
this week on cheaters prickley pete is always on business but what is his wife up to! Well if you make good money already and are looking at adding 10k on top of that at a good company with no travel and a new wife and home that sounds like the hands down winner. If you want to make huge amounts of money but travel all the time and work a lot of overtime developing solutions you should go SAP.

And that is the catch.

I'm not worried about my wife cheating (I'm sure that gets a lot of yawns from the crowd saying "that is what everyone says"), but I am worried that a future in SAP may work against a normal home life from this point forward. That being said, I don't like to shy away from things because of what "maybe". If the job turns into something unmanageable from a family standpoint...no one is holding a gun to my head to stick around.

These decisions are never as straightforward as you want them to be.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
imo it sounds like you already made your decision right when you posted, most of us are against SAP due to traveling but obviously you want to try it out and want the money involved and think it is once in a lifetime opportunity so just go ahead and do it

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Not sure if anyone cares, but after final negotiations and mulling over with the wife, I decided to take the SAP job. The company was very generous and met my dollar amount along with more vacation time than I currently get and an insane bonus plan. On top of that, they will put me up at furnished apartments on long projects where my wife can stay with me...so the travel will be less of a burden than originally expected. I'm really looking forward to starting.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Not sure if anyone cares, but after final negotiations and mulling over with the wife, I decided to take the SAP job. The company was very generous and met my dollar amount along with more vacation time than I currently get and an insane bonus plan. On top of that, they will put me up at furnished apartments on long projects where my wife can stay with me...so the travel will be less of a burden than originally expected. I'm really looking forward to starting.

Very, very nice.

Congrats and good luck.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJ

Very, very nice.

Congrats and good luck.

Gracias.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
First of all SAP is evil but people who implement it make bank, so congrats. And second - your wife doesn't work?

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: sygyzy
First of all SAP is evil but people who implement it make bank, so congrats. And second - your wife doesn't work?

She works, but ultimately she won't be...and she is fine/wants this. Her current job has her working remotely 3 out of the 5 days a week. If she started following me around, we would try to work a 5 day out of 5 work remotely situation...or she would just quit. Hopefully the former.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
so what are you going to be doing? I've heard of SAP but know next to nothing about it.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
so what are you going to be doing? I've heard of SAP but know next to nothing about it.

SAP is a packaged software that essentially companies use to run their business (very simple terms). This type of software is commonly called an "ERP system". I will be working at customer sites helping them implement SAP for their business or help add SAP modules to a current installation. SAP is a VERY popular ERP package.

It is a lot of work and will be stressful at times...but the experience and money are good.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: AmigaMan

SAP is a packaged software that essentially companies use to run their business (very simple terms). This type of software is commonly called an "ERP system". I will be working at customer sites helping them implement SAP for their business or help add SAP modules to a current installation. SAP is a VERY popular ERP package.

It is a lot of work and will be stressful at times...but the experience and money are good.

There is a ton of $$ to be had in the SAP industry. Do you have your masters, out of curiosity? I worked for a firm who did recruiting for Accenture among other large clients who needed SAP consultants. The average pay rate for some of the contracts I saw was $120 an hour. And that was average. Average contract length was about 6-9 months.

Obviously, having a specialty in some aspect of SAP helps, but I know a lot of these places wanted consultants with their masters.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Congrats ... I actually have an interview after work today :D Looking for something new too.