job interview qu: what is your major weakness?

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
How do you respond to this question?

please give me some examples of harmless "weaknesses" that indicate that I am human, but aren't going to rule me out of the job

regnez

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2006
I tend to drive a little under the speed limit, and my friends are always telling me that I am too responsible.

eLiTeGoodGuy

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
"Yeah I'd have to say that my major weakness is that, some people call me lazy, I can't arrive to work on time, I don't dress professionally, and I punched the $hit out of my ex boss. Will you hire me?"

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Fortunately I've never been asked that stupid question.

Originally posted by: PaNsyBoy8
i sometimes get too into my work and lose track of time and skip my lunch.

I'd rule you out right there for lying to me.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
I'm overly dedicated to the detriment of my health and relationships outside of work.

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

i lose track of time and skip lunch all the time

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
i hate this question. You answer like one of the above they know your a bullshiting. Maybe that are trying to see how good you can bs...or maybe they want to hear the truth.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
8:00 AM conference calls to discuss UPI to MRN conversions.

*YAWN*

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I just told a recruiter that my weakness was that I don't like public speaking, but that I have taken a class to improve it (truth), and that each time I get up there I get a little better. I think she liked that, because she sorta sympathized about herself during training sessins. Its for an engineering internship so public speaking isn't a large part of the job but of course presentations are done..we'll see if I get another interview/job offer

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I'm sure you do, but you're a liar if you tell me that is your biggest weakness.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004

I'm sure you do, but you're a liar if you tell me that is your biggest weakness.

They didn't ask for the biggest weakness but a major one.....

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: erub
I just told a recruiter that my weakness was that I don't like public speaking, but that I have taken a class to improve it (truth), and that each time I get up there I get a little better. I think she liked that, because she sorta sympathized about herself during training sessins. Its for an engineering internship so public speaking isn't a large part of the job but of course presentations are done..we'll see if I get another interview/job offer

Think you pretty much had the perfect answer. They are probably looking for your ability to be self-critical, but at the same time be confident enough to know that it won't kill you, you are smart enough to deal with the problem, and finally, capable of improving on it. Doubt they just want you to say, "I always miss the toilet so I've given up and I painted my house yellow."

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
My biggest weakness is that I'm a lazy asshole. Of course, that is also one of my biggest strengths in that I work hard and fast to get the job done right, so I can slack off after its done.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

that's a nice example I think.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
"PERFECTIONIST" I like to take pride in my work and in all aspects of ventures I attempt. Sometimes this can interfere with other projects I simultaneously work on....yada yada yada....

Pshawn5

Aug 8, 2001

pretty much what I say when asked that question, since it's the truth. but i've gotten alot better with my public speaking so they're sometimes surprised when I say it.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

Winnar, I will use this line if the question comes up. Which is perfectly true for me. Abhor public speaking, but had to take speech classes and gave a couple of seminars in college.

silverdj

Feb 26, 2006
My answer to that question is "Well, I like to do drugs and don't like to work" but if you hire me I will do what I can do to make money to support my drug habit.

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
well, by "major weakness" you can't just make a total bullsh!t answer. You should use something non-work related if you have the gift of gab and can get humor out of it :eek: