Job hunting is more exhausting than work itself

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
***sigh***

So many submitted jobs, so many little postcards in the mail saying "We appreciate your interest in XXX company. You have an exceptional resume, but unfortunately at this time we have pursued other candidates. Good luck with your job search."

:(

I'm finding that there is a huge abscence of "mid-level" IT positions. There's a massive number of entry level positions that pay barely above what I can get jockeying the fry pit at a fast food joint. And there's an equal number of management/supervisor/sr. positions that I automatically get roundfiled from because I've *only* got 7 years of experience and can't trip the keyword filters without flat out lying on my resume.

I just can't find much in the way of established positions that don't already require management experience.

All I'm hoping for is at least the chance to even interview. I can't seem to beg, borrow, or steal that opportunity.

The really frustrating part of the deal is that I had two very promissing interview prospects lined up in another city that I had to turn down because of an unexpected residency match.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Anyone need an IT professional for hire in Omaha?

:p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: z0mb13
networking is ur friend

:D:D

Unfortunately I really had no forwarning on moving to the area I moved to. It wasn't where my wife and and I had hoped to wind up. She was part of a matching program for a residency applicants and didn't really have any control on our final destination.

Other areas we looked at I had good networking connections. Where we did wind up I don't really have that luxury.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Can I join in the rant too? Been looking for a job since about february (finished school in December, and had some stuff to take care of first), and thus far have gotten exactly squat. Not even rejection notices. They just leave me hanging. And right now all I'm looking for *is* an entry-level position. A way to get my foot in the door, at least.

Nate

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: OulOat
What are you expecting mid-level IT to pay?

For this area...$35,000-$50,000 depending on responsibilities, shift diff, and travel requirements.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: vi_edit

For this area...$35,000-$50,000 depending on responsibilities, shift diff, and travel requirements.

Whoa, that is low. Over here in Chicago 50k is entry level. Is stuff really cheap there?

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001

Whoa, that is low. Over here in Chicago 50k is entry level. Is stuff really cheap there?

He's out in the middle of no-mans land (other than the city itself, of course) :p

Nate

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

It's certainly not as expensive as Chicago, but it definitely is much more expensive than what salaries compensate for. Property taxes, sales tax, income tax, and home prices are all much higher than what the incomes would indicate.

Entry level here is basic help desk at $10-$14 an hour in Omaha. Sadly, I've been applying for system administrator positions paying only $35,000 a year. That's how bad things are.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Blastomyces
Residency match? You in med school or is your SO?

Wifey graduated with her PharmD degree last week.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: redly1
hey vi...where do you want to live?

A place with a climate similar to San Diego, low housing rates, a good job market, good school districts, a commute less than 30 minutes, and low crime.

So....a place that no longer exists.

:p

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: redly1
so your background is in IT....what else can you do with your skills???

Don't know about vi, but I'm familiar with a couple programming languages - my degree is in CS. Only problem is that nobody with entry-level openings wants someobody with entry-level skills.

Nate