JLee's 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo build thread - part 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'd replace that rubber hose to the w/g with a ss line with an insulation sleeve or at least a sleeve around the rubber hose. Looks like a hot area with little airflow and already having cracking issues doesn't make it any better. It will save you headaches down the road.

Where are you seeing cracks? The rubber appears to be in great shape (though I'm replacing it all anyway, because it's cheap and why not).

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Not the greatest pic ever, but I now have grip!

pTMq7pv.png

The sketchy ground for the backup camera has been fixed. I also added power steering fluid so my power steering works again. I need to rebuild my rack (or get another one) at some point.

I should have my new wastegate gaskets tomorrow, so hopefully that will be fixed soon (and hopefully that's the last exhaust leak!).

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
New four ply wastegate gasket compared to the old single-ply one:

FDXDaks.jpg

It does not appear to be leaking anymore. :)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Well, I still have an exhaust leak. There aren't that many places it could be...I'll find it eventually.

In other news, I hook in first gear on pump gas. Haven't tried E85 yet, but if I at least hook in second I'll be happy!

uIPEVi7.png

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
With E85, first hooks from a roll. :D I might not be quite at my peak level (there was some gas left), but it grabs hard with just a tiny chirp into 2nd, so I might be okay even at 100% E85.

I still have an exhaust leak somewhere, though...sounds like the manifold or turbo adapter. I'll probably end up pulling the turbo to find/fix it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I found a local place that rebuilds steering racks! :D I may have to get that done at some point.

Washer nozzles were swapped last night...the fan pattern is pretty nice and the Fusion nozzles were a perfect drop-in fit. I'll try to get some more stuff done this weekend.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
love the meaty new shoes mange. Looks awesome.
You should come drive it again. :D

The new sway bar bushings arrived today and I'm hoping to get them installed tonight. I may end up spending the weekend pulling the turbo to chase down the last exhaust leak.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
The front sway bar bushings are in!

MZOyt1X.jpg

PhfC8cO.jpg

I have to drop the crossmember to do the rears, so I'll do that this weekend (hopefully turbo gaskets too).

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
This was a productive week. The sway bar bushings have been replaced and the clunking over bumps is gone. I found the exhaust leak, too - the flex section in the b-pipe failed internally. I was a little suspicious of what appeared to be carbon on the flex section, so I started the car and put my hand over that area of the exhaust - leak confirmed.

pTX4GTV.jpg

In other news, one of the rear sway bar brackets broke on installation:

qSPR3rG.jpg

I fixed that by drilling it out and replacing the stud with a bolt and washer.

cjduk0d.jpg

On the topic of bolts and washers..........I made this lovely discovery when I was pulling the starter. Left - previous owner's starter bolts. Right - some spares I happened to have:

UGFvWm3.jpg

If you ever use five washers because your bolt is too long, somebody should slap you.

I was pulling the starter so I could access the bolts that hold the shift linkage together, so I could get to this bushing:

KvuAtvM.jpg

51OMYkV.jpg

Yes, it's supposed to be square. I rotated it 90 degrees to get a little more life out of it (it's not difficult to get to so I can replace it later). My shifter is much less sloppy now.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I called Berk Technology and ordered another flex section - they don't have any B pipes available (and if they did, they're $289.99 + shipping, which seems excessive). It should be here Thursday, so I'll have a shop install it Friday morning. Even with shipping, they beat the price on Amazon by $10.

The annual Bear Mountain MR2 meet is on Saturday and I'm hoping to have it reasonably squared away by then!

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Instead of flipping the bushing I put in the Chico Race Works spherical bushing. That gives such a smooth feel. but you still have a decent amount of material there. I never thought your shifter felt sloppy at all - not that I noticed anyways.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Instead of flipping the bushing I put in the Chico Race Works spherical bushing. That gives such a smooth feel. but you still have a decent amount of material there. I never thought your shifter felt sloppy at all - not that I noticed anyways.

It was a bit laterally, but everything else was in good shape. I bought the CRW bearing a while ago and now I have no idea where it is....same with my quick ratio steering pinion. :(

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Berk has a b-pipe in stock. It should be here within a week. :D