Jim Cramer's Dad couldn't vote in PA because of VoterID

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/jim_cramer_pennsylvania_voter_id.php

I have a problem. My dad, a vet, won't be allowed to vote in Pa. because he does not drive, he is elderly, and can't prove his citizenship.

Not that conservatives here give a shit that way more innocent people are going to be prevented from voting than preventing any illegal voting from taking place (which has been shown to be WAY overstated, even by a republican group who did a study on that).

Of course PA officials "came to the rescue" for Jim's father after he tweeted it. But how about all those other people who aren't related to celebrities? Doubt they give a shit.

Late update: Cramer tweeted that Pennsylvania officials contacted him after his post and “came directly to the rescue” of his father. Cramer’s father was one of the hundreds of thousands of registered voters that the state of Pennsylvania admits don’t have an acceptable form of state-issued photo identification.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Isn't it possible to get a simple state-issued photo ID? Why couldn't he get one of those?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Isn't it possible to get a simple state-issued photo ID? Why couldn't he get one of those?

I read through the reddit thread about this:

It's easy to get provided you can make it to the DMV and hang around for a few hours; less difficult to do in highly populated areas, but there are huge portions in the middle of the state that have very, very limited hours. If, for example, you live in Tioga county, you've got one option for the DMV if you're looking for an ID card (Wellsboro), which is open Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8:30-4:15. If you can't get someone to drive you to the DMV either of those days, you're out of luck.
Forest County and Cameron county are rural enough that they don't have their own DMV; you'd have to drive to a neighboring county to go to a DMV that's open three days a week.

Probably not a problem for Mr. Cramer's father as his son could probably pay to transport him to get one, but for many people in the middle of nowhere, it's a more considerable effort, especally if you're elderly.

Jan 25, 2011

Probably not a problem for Mr. Cramer's father as his son could probably pay to transport him to get one, but for many people in the middle of nowhere, it's a more considerable effort, especally if you're elderly.

Playing devils advocate here. Why can't these people just vote absentee? Yes it's not going to a physical poll but it's still casting your vote

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The state of Pennsylvania, of course, came immediately to his father's rescue.

Funny what having some clout on national TV will do for a guy, huh?

What about the rest?

The answer is all too obvious.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't believe it. I don't think the father of a rich man in America goes without photo ID. You need it for many other things than driving and voting. Shens.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
My question is if they can't make it to the DMV how could they make it to the polls to stand in line there for a few hours?

I frankly do not give a damn on this issue, just wondering.

Oct 16, 1999
My question is if they can't make it to the DMV how could they make it to the polls to stand in line there for a few hours?

I frankly do not give a damn on this issue, just wondering.

A lot of polling stations allow drive up voting for elderly and disabled. They bring the ballot to their car. And they are usually driven by someone else.

Edit: Actually, this might be a requirement for all polls.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Playing devils advocate here. Why can't these people just vote absentee? Yes it's not going to a physical poll but it's still casting your vote

Being absentee ballots usually have the most shenanigans going on with interested parties trying to invalidate them/'lose' them, etc.

Jan 25, 2011
Being absentee ballots usually have the most shenanigans going on with interested parties trying to invalidate them/'lose' them, etc.

Better than not voting at all. Shenanigans aside it is a possible option if applied for by the cut off. PA requires no ID to register and submit the ballot.

Not that I support the move at all. Just one easy solution it seems.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Oddly enough, people who seem to have no problem getting to the elections each cycle can't seem to get to the DMV ONCE. Go figure.

Citizenship is a requirement to vote. Ergo people who can't prove citizenship SHOULD NOT be able to vote, any more than people who can't prove identity should be able to withdraw money.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oddly enough, people who seem to have no problem getting to the elections each cycle can't seem to get to the DMV ONCE. Go figure.

Citizenship is a requirement to vote. Ergo people who can't prove citizenship SHOULD NOT be able to vote, any more than people who can't prove identity should be able to withdraw money.

82378066.jpg

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
How long was the voter ID issue known to happen.

People chose to ignore it.

Well folks it is here; you have 2 months before the full election and 2 + years until the next primary season.

If you want to vote; follow the law.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
TPM Muckraker? Why would anyone trust something from a site like that? Find this on a real news site and it might have a shred of credence. Until you do, it's little more than bullshit.

Feb 6, 2007
Are these IDs going to be provided free of charge? If not, they could violate the 24th Amendment.
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Granted, it may not be strictly a tax, but requiring someone to pay a fee for the right to vote is unConstitutional. Providing government issued IDs for free is going to put a financial burden on the states that enact these laws. I hope it's worth it to them to combat the massive wave of virtually no voter fraud that's been sweeping the nation since never.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
TPM Muckraker? Why would anyone trust something from a site like that? Find this on a real news site and it might have a shred of credence. Until you do, it's little more than bullshit.

Or, you could just click the tweet that Jim Cramer made that was linked in the article:

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/245506372110794753

Now here is where you call jim cramer a liar.

Shut the fuck up you retard. TPM is a legitimate site.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If ACORN & Company can spend millions of dollars and hours registering people, they can do the same to help people without IDs get them.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Are these IDs going to be provided free of charge? If not, they could violate the 24th Amendment.

Granted, it may not be strictly a tax, but requiring someone to pay a fee for the right to vote is unConstitutional. Providing government issued IDs for free is going to put a financial burden on the states that enact these laws. I hope it's worth it to them to combat the massive wave of virtually no voter fraud that's been sweeping the nation since never.

And thats the rub. Lets say Cramer's dad was named John Geinheim. Let's say some refugee war criminal from Germany here on an expired tourist visa goes to the poll and says "Im John Geinheim" and votes.

Or lets say the poll station doesnt even check names.

Billy Rodriguez, fresh across the border walks in and votes.

Sally Tsu-Wong freshly trafficked from China walks in to vote.

Without voter ID laws, how would you prevent any of these probable things from happening? Or are those who are against voter ID laws "OK" with those risks?

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

You people didn't believe the president when he produced his birth certificate so why should I give any credibility now?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You people didn't believe the president when he produced his birth certificate so why should I give any credibility now?
Man, proggies' brains are blunt instruments.

I am not "you people". I have never been a Birther. I do not doubt that Obama was born in Hawaii. I do not think that as the first black President or even as the first serious black Presidential candidate, it would make much difference even were he born in Kenya to an American mother, as he would have clearly met the intent if not the letter of the law. I have never thought this was an issue.

When you all divide people into those who follow the Messiah's every whim as natural law and those who are infidels, you reveal more about yourself than about me, to your great detriment.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Or, you could just click the tweet that Jim Cramer made that was linked in the article:

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/245506372110794753

Now here is where you call jim cramer a liar.

Shut the fuck up you retard. TPM is a legitimate site.
Hey, you're hurting my feelings.

My goal this election season is to throw in your faces all the same bullshit you've been throwing at us. Every - fucking - chance - I - get.

Next thing, you're going to tell us that you admire Jim Cramer when he represents everything in this world you hate. He's suddenly become very handy, hasn't he?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So is the gas tax also unconstitutional if you have to drive your car to a polling place?