Jim Carrey (When Nature Calls)

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
The scene where Jim Carrey picks up 2 sticks and beats the mushrooms on the tree (like a drummer) Afterwards he yells......... We Love You Dark Continent...... GOODNIGHT!

What was Jim Carrey taking that from? Or was it made up?

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Probably just mocking how musicians tend to yell "WE LOVE YOU <city name>, GOODNIGHT!" at the end of a concert.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
My all time favorite Jim Carrey movie...

The rhino scene is great.

I never got the Dark Continent reference either, but that does make sense...

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: NFS4
Africa = "Dark" Continent

Now that, makes sense...... Is it true though? You know what I mean! **LOL**

It's not referring to race, but rather lighting. If you've ever seen map of the lighting conditions of the world you'll see that Africa is dark while a lot of the rest of the world has quite a bit of lights (with North America, Europe, and parts of Asia looking like they're full of lights).

This is what I'm referring to.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17

It's not referring to race, but rather lighting. If you've ever seen map of the lighting conditions of the world you'll see that Africa is dark while a lot of the rest of the world has quite a bit of lights (with North America, Europe, and parts of Asia looking like they're full of lights).

Just like North Korea then ;)

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004

Just like North Korea then ;)

OMG what are they, practicing for an air raid? :Q

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I saw this movie a long time ago and thought it was one of the worst movies ever. Pet Detective was great movie.

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003

In 19th Century Europe and the Western world, the area was sometimes referred to as "Black Africa." Africa as a whole was commonly known as "the Dark continent", a term that was usually intended to refer to the Sub-Saharan region. This was partly due to the skin color of its inhabitants and partly because much of it had not been fully mapped or explored by Westerners. These terms are now obsolete and often considered to be pejorative. Further, they are misleading, as dark-skinned Africans are indigenous to much of North Africa, as well.
Wikipedia

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NiteWulf

In 19th Century Europe and the Western world, the area was sometimes referred to as "Black Africa." Africa as a whole was commonly known as "the Dark continent", a term that was usually intended to refer to the Sub-Saharan region. This was partly due to the skin color of its inhabitants and partly because much of it had not been fully mapped or explored by Westerners. These terms are now obsolete and often considered to be pejorative. Further, they are misleading, as dark-skinned Africans are indigenous to much of North Africa, as well.
Wikipedia

pwned