JHH has gone over to the dark side

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you watch Stephen Colbert? If you do then you'll know what I mean when I say Jensen is doing a stupendous job of "keeping in character".

What you see there is a CEO doing whatever it takes to keep business, same with the TSMC vs. GF comments. Good CEO's know how to drop names at the right times to garner free advertising for their partners to generate some goodwill with their business partners. Has very little to do with the man behind the job.

Jensen loves Macs...sure, and Britney Spears drinks pepsi all the time, Tony Stewart eat Whoppers three times a day, and Tiger Woods really can't play golf without getting his Nike gear on.

kitchiku

Nov 6, 2009
Do you watch Stephen Colbert? If you do then you'll know what I mean when I say Jensen is doing a stupendous job of "keeping in character".

What you see there is a CEO doing whatever it takes to keep business, same with the TSMC vs. GF comments. Good CEO's know how to drop names at the right times to garner free advertising for their partners to generate some goodwill with their business partners. Has very little to do with the man behind the job.

Jensen loves Macs...sure, and Britney Spears drinks pepsi all the time, Tony Stewart eat Whoppers three times a day, and Tiger Woods really can't play golf without getting his Nike gear on.
yeah, he doesnt want to lose his business with apple given all those nvidia chipset problems in the MacBook Pro product line last year.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I think that it is the lesser of all evils for JHH. sure apple doesn't have many games right now, but what if they merge with nvidia...hmmm...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
good point. as idc mentioned, he was touting apple so he probably just "forgot" to mention that...

kitchiku

Nov 6, 2009
I think that it is the lesser of all evils for JHH. sure apple doesn't have many games right now, but what if they merge with nvidia...hmmm...
if apple market share continues to rise, maybe. otherwise, game developers won't bother.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

This is of course true.

Don't you think he's somewhat thumbing his nose at gamers though? Whatever direction NVIDIA takes in the future, PC gamers built that company.

The Mac community (aside from those with 8-series/bump issue chips) seem to be pretty happy with NVIDIA chips right now, but they'll be happy with ATI chips too if that's what Jobs decides to serve up next. Their loyalty is to Apple, and not to the hardware inside. It makes sense too. I've owned a PowerBook G4, Mac mini, and now a MacBook Pro; and the "Mac experience" has been the same with each one regardless of the fact that the hardware was very different between them all.

Gamers on the other hand are fairly loyal to the video hardware. Sure, we may bounce back and forth between NV and ATI occasionally, but for the most part I think people tend to stick with what they know provided price/performance is similar. I think this is the reason NVIDIA is still doing ok despite the success of the 4800s and the much earlier release of the 5800s than Fermi. I get that NV makes more money off of integrated gpus on the PC side, but I'd be surprised if gaming card sales didn't make them more money than the deal with Apple.

Just an odd stance for JHH to take IMO...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't you think he's somewhat thumbing his nose at gamers though?

*snip*

Gamers on the other hand are fairly loyal to the video hardware. Sure, we may bounce back and forth between NV and ATI occasionally, but for the most part I think people tend to stick with what they know provided price/performance is similar.

*snip*

Just an odd stance for JHH to take IMO...

Think about it though, what percentage of NV future potential customers are represented by individuals like us who (a) realize he made these comments, (b) interpret them to mean he is thumbing his nose at us, and (c) will respond by electing to not be future NV customers?

I'm not disagreeing with your line of reasoning, the percentage is bound to be non-zero, but I am saying I suspect Jensen knew of this possibility when he decided to open his mouth and that he probably rationalized that percentage to be entirely small enough to be worth the tradeoff in whatever business potential he is aiming at keeping or growing by making such comments.

The irony will come in the years down the road when Apple elects to use an AMD or Intel product again...then his words will be dragged out of the closet and used against him by the competition's marketing guys.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Think about it though, what percentage of NV future potential customers are represented by individuals like us who (a) realize he made these comments, (b) interpret them to mean he is thumbing his nose at us, and (c) will respond by electing to not be future NV customers?

I'm not disagreeing with your line of reasoning, the percentage is bound to be non-zero, but I am saying I suspect Jensen knew of this possibility when he decided to open his mouth and that he probably rationalized that percentage to be entirely small enough to be worth the tradeoff in whatever business potential he is aiming at keeping or growing by making such comments.

The irony will come in the years down the road when Apple elects to use an AMD or Intel product again...then his words will be dragged out of the closet and used against him by the competition's marketing guys.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you either. Just weird that he would alienate anyone at all. NVIDIA has always been a really good company at marketing, and I think part of marketing is to never make any of your customers feel like their interests have been back burnered (even if they have).

Intel is also a marketing wizard, and I don't think I can ever recall them making a stand like this. Never, ever, would Intel say Apple is better then Dell, or Windows is better then Linux... Whatever... If they were asked, I'm pretty sure that would flat out tell you Intel is the best choice for everything, from netbook to server, from Windows to OpenBSD and everything in between. I don't understand why JHH wouldn't tow this same line with NV gpus.

I agree also... These words will come back to haunt him. The funny thing is that the new iMac comes standard with a GeForce 9400M, but can be upgraded to an ATI Radeon.

http://www.apple.com/imac/performance.html

The ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor delivers up to 4x faster performance than the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M — ideal for 3D games and graphics-intensive applications.3 For the ultimate in graphics performance, choose a 27-inch iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I read the article before I saw this thread. JHH surprised me as well. I agree with the "staying in character" routine, though. It's probably just the "don't show weakness" rule in business.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002

You mean, the same Apple that elected to buy out ATI's entire supply of 4870s? IIRC there were rumors of apples with onboard ATI video as well.

Anyhoo, Huang can yammer anything he wants now. He correctly realizes the niche gaming enthusiast community has gone from being NV fans in 2007 to "we hate you" in 2009 over a large list of recent anti-gamer moves by NV. Saying this kind of stuff will result in approximately zero additional lost sales, and will garner good will from Apple. He knows PC gaming is dead, GPU computing, consoles and iWhatever are where future growth area for NV.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
This article is PURE BS, I don't know who researched it and why did they even publish this type of garbage.
It's been reported few times already that most OEMs are fed up with NV's @sshole attitude and especially with their faulty, buggy crap integrated chipsets that NV refused to properly address (replacement costs) and that Apple showed the door to Nvidia.

To see how big of an utter BS this fake news is one only hasto look at Apple's latest offerings: they all use ATI graphics cards.

Last edited: