Question JFC trying to build my first rig in years and it's like impossible!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
No Ryzen stock, no RTX 3080 or 3070. WTF?!? Why are they keeping supply so low? It's not like AMD/NVDA profit from scalper mark-up!

Is there any end in sight to this supply issue? I mean I could probably pay $1k for a 3070/3080 but I would have to find one first!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Or, buy a (gasp!) pre-built, and get one with a decent CPU and GPU. You might pay a premium, but at least you wouldn't be paying the scalper mark-up on individual components.

- A part of the reason DIY stuff is so scarce right now is that NV and AMD are sending nearly everything they make to bulk purchasers like OEMs. If you can find one that doesn't look garish and uses relatively standard off the shelf stuff (for future upgradability), its not a bad option at the moment and mark-up is generally less severe than the DIY components.

Reactions: Pohemi

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Just buy a pre-built and sell the parts you don't want/need. When prebuilt systems go on sale after you account for selling off other parts you will easily get a 3080 + Zen3 CPU for under the street price of these items.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It's not just the mining boom, because that wouldn't drive up the cost of CPUs like we've seen. It's just a really bad case of a lot of limiting factors (mining boom included) all happening at the same time. No one is intentionally keeping supply low because any increase in supply is a guaranteed sale. Since no one has any kind of monopoly on the market that might let them get away with holding back inventory, there's no reason for any company to do that.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The Dell/HP prebuilt boxes or the ABS boxes at Newegg typically have a 3090 for around $3000 or a 3080 for $2000. Dell/HP have some custom versions of the cards and motherboards but the ABS ones use standard retail components. You can migrate your existing files and OS install to them, or just keep the card and sell the rest.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist