Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3822 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Uh, bad move?

mppmhcO.jpeg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
They are actually doing the sensible thing. No one wants an Otter bite.

While I'm certainly not advocating wrestling or fierce belly rubs, that wasn't the body language of an otter that was aggressive. That was 'can I play too?' Any other kind of approach and I'd say no way, but I totally would have thrown that guy a ball or something that floats

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Problem is, you can't predict when the wild animal will stop playing and start attacking.

I didn't say it wasn't possible "playing" with a wild animal might end in getting bitten, my point was that an otter can catch FISH underwater so it's pretty obvious he/she wasn't really looking to do any harm, or at least one of those guys would have been bleeding.

Might have been trying to "run them off" so he could relax in the sun though!

;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
They are actually doing the sensible thing. No one wants an Otter bite.

I strongly suspect that simply not running would have resulted in no chasing just like with a dog. (however I agree that would hurt!)

Otters btw are extremely intelligent and often friendly to people. :)

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The way they 'talk' cracks me up. That one looked like he just wanted to see what was going on. They're curious critters and can be quite affectionate. I'd be more wary of a wild one of course, but they are known to be generally agreeable even in the wild, assuming they're not defending themselves or their young. You just never know with a wild critter though.

Reactions: igor_kavinski