Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3790 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
z2ldR4p.jpeg

Reactions: stargazr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm looking at the truck thinking "Can they really do that?". I don't know much about big trucks, but I'd think the hitch system is designed for linear pull and not having the weight of a truck hanging on it.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm looking at the truck thinking "Can they really do that?". I don't know much about big trucks, but I'd think the hitch system is designed for linear pull and not having the weight of a truck hanging on it.
They have to drag them backwards to wind up the spring.

• Haha
Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
my question is WHY? I see no toolbag or anything he could be fixing out there. I can't even look at that.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
my question is WHY? I see no toolbag or anything he could be fixing out there. I can't even look at that.

The comments on the thread suggest it's not a work-related thing, it's just a thrill-seeker. Also (not that I know anything about this stuff, but it seems pretty common-sensical), they make what sounds like a very legit point that it's an unncessary risk to only have one safety strap and have to undo it and reattach it like that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
they make what sounds like a very legit point that it's an unncessary risk to only have one safety strap and have to undo it and reattach it like that.
That's an OSHA violation. They'd get spanked pretty hard if an inspector showed up and saw that. I of course would never do such a thing...

<.<
>.>

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I use a yoyo when I can.
I climbed an unguarded ladder to get up to that crow's nest to grease all those sheaves and shafts up top. Some of it required me to climb out on the structure to grease some intermediate shafts, off the ladder.
IMG-20190906-091056.jpg

The view was good :)
IMG_20190906_080906.jpg

That crane had an auto lubing system out to the boom tip @185'. We would lay it down to work in it, but no need to go out and grease it.

This crane, we laid it down flat-ish and I would walk out the boom to grease it. No harness required as I had on a life vest and was over the water.
This kind of height does not bug me. That stuff up there? SShhhivers!
IMG-20171228-213555.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've been using my tree stuff on construction jobs, and I like it a lot. If I'm just walking beams or something, I'll use a basic lanyard on my top rear D. If I'm climbing around forms, and having to change position a lot, I use my lower front D with a prusik + rope. I can bring it way in to reduce travel, or take it out to ~12'. It's kind of a manually operated yoyo without the weight or drag. I'm probably violating some rule or another, but it looks good from a distance, and nobody says anything. You have to make sure you can't fall far though. A decent drop on the lower D could mess you up.

edit:
What I also like about the tree lanyard is I can self rescue if I fall off a beam using the fall arrest lanyard. Instead of dangling like a piñata waiting for someone to haul me up, I can toss my tree lanyard over the cable, and climb up it. Not that that's happened so far. It was always one of my fears, especially when my robot still worked, and I was doing it by myself at night. It would take quite awhile for someone to notice I was there, and get me up. I made a trauma strap I kept on that harness so I could hook it up and stand in it in case I went over. Takes weight off your crotch to prevent harness trauma.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking