Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3743 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well, they do have more eyes than the average person. Maybe Spidey sense can be explained away by assuming that instead of getting multiple weird eyes like a spider, Spiderman's brain evolved to create virtual eyes in the 3D space around him, using quantum entanglement. Don't ask me to explain more. If I could, I would create my own virtual eyes.

I thought spiders could detect vibration? That's how they know there's something trapped in their web?

Quite a sophisticated system, they have, apparently...sounds a bit like cell phone tower triangulation (though I guess it's not detecting "danger" so much as "lunch" - I guess that would be a different kind of Spiderman if that were their "Spidey sense".)

They found that comparisons of 3D vibration magnitude across eight legs (direct monitoring) allowed them to determine vibration source distance and direction, which was not possible with a remote monitoring strategy.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I thought spiders could detect vibration? That's how they know there's something trapped in their web?

Quite a sophisticated system, they have, apparently...sounds a bit like cell phone tower triangulation (though I guess it's not detecting "danger" so much as "lunch" - I guess that would be a different kind of Spiderman if that were their "Spidey sense".)

Oldie but a goodie.

NSFW

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Does not take long at all, not with shark teeth. Pretty much any pelagic variety is going to have a crazy set of teeth. Some really stand out though, like mako. Or tigers. The amount of "bite" they have to the edge is crazy, it's like an obsidian edge almost.

That's one of the reasons you see so many sharks with hooks still in their mouths. Fight the shark up to the boat's transom and then snip the leader. Don't even screw around and risk it. Most hooks are carbon steel and are supposed to rust away within weeks. Often they do not, why I don't know.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That's one of the reasons you see so many sharks with hooks still in their mouths. Fight the shark up to the boat's transom and then snip the leader. Don't even screw around and risk it. Most hooks are carbon steel and are supposed to rust away within weeks. Often they do not, why I don't know.
Because some dumb motherfuckers decided it'd be a good idea to make stainless fishing hooks for saltwater fishing, y'know, because hooks are soooo expensive, you gotta make sure they last!

Reactions: zinfamous

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Shark's like 'yep, worth it'

I'm not so sure, they could have hoisted that shark in the boat for an immediate "finger-ectomy." Reattachment is often possible. I brought a gigantic barracuda home once, just to cut it open and retrieve the new set of fishing pliers it had swallowed during a hook extraction attempt. "Sorry bud, but I just bought that." I can see that feeling being more pronounced if it had been a body part. Felt bad throwing it away but eating large cuda is just not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Number1

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
aHmGU22.jpeg

Despite current events, I'd probably go Red pill.

The most valuable thing any of us have is time.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wouldn't have to think about that for a second. They could have at least made it a challange by mandating a daily kick in the balls if youth were selected.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Give me the blue pill I don't need a 2nd chance.

What age would my kids be, the rest of family, friends etc.? Is it just a re-run of the exact same life or will I have knowledge of a life I will never live? I don't understand the red pill. :)

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
aHmGU22.jpeg

Despite current events, I'd probably go Red pill.

The most valuable thing any of us have is time.

The Red pill, without a moment's hesitation. Though I'd far rather restart from 18. Couldn't be bothered going through the years 6-18 all over again - would be unbearably tedious with 'all the knowledge you have now'. Not to mention pretty depressing, knowing what was in the future for all those around you.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
well do you really want to live another ~80 plus years in this world that we have created?:D

But does it imply that? i.e. a youth potion returning you to the age of 6 in the present time with everything else still as it is? I took it as meaning 'travel back in time to find yourself inhabiting your 6 year-old self, and get to relive those intervening years, fore-armed with the knowledge you have now'.

Reactions: dank69

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Even if it's six right now, I know what things are gonna be like, and I know of places to go where I don't have to deal with it.