Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3739 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Whatever happened to human predators? Do geese taste bad?

Depends, you talking domesticated or wild? Wild geese get more protein, chlorophyll and iron than domesticated I believe. Definitely gamey, a stronger taste compared to chicken or turkey. All dark meat too, struck me as on the greasy, fatty side. I didn't care for it, but I've had a couple of people swear to me snow goose is better than any domesticated variety. Tarragon and cooking with the skin on is the secret apparently. The French have one (of course) bred for meat, they seem to rave about it. Goose is kind of like the elk of birds, very lean but packed with protein and minerals, actually one of the healthier meats for you apparently. Tried goose eggs once, no thanks.

I've been told by some Canadians that the breasts from a Canada goose are OK, but they don't bother with the rest.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Depends, you talking domesticated or wild? Wild geese get more protein, chlorophyll and iron than domesticated I believe. Definitely gamey, a stronger taste compared to chicken or turkey. All dark meat too, struck me as on the greasy, fatty side. I didn't care for it, but I've had a couple of people swear to me snow goose is better than any domesticated variety. Tarragon and cooking with the skin on is the secret apparently. The French have one (of course) bred for meat, they seem to rave about it. Goose is kind of like the elk of birds, very lean but packed with protein and minerals, actually one of the healthier meats for you apparently. Tried goose eggs once, no thanks.

I've been told by some Canadians that the breasts from a Canada goose are OK, but they don't bother with the rest.

Interesting.... far as I can recall at least I've never tried roast goose although I do like duck a lot.

At one point in time a roast goose was considered a high-end fancy holiday feast for rich folks!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What Are The Best Geese For Eating?

(familyfarmlivestock.com)

20210414_154826.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Cantonese roast goose is very good. So is smoked, or brined then parboiled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This kind of thing has gotten way too common off the New England coast. There is currently a big hubbub over it wrt the lobster fishing community in Maine. They don't appreciate their goods being held accountable for what their gear does to the whales.

IMO the health of oceans is more important than keeping lobster pounds stocked, sorry. Find a better way to do it, focus on other shellfish, just know that every whale that dies is another huge wound to the oceanic food chain. The oceans need a lot more plankton and krill, everywhere, as well as a stop to the pH shift. Cetaceans living in healthy numbers is a big part of how we do both. It won't be just convincing Japan, Iceland and Norway to give up whaling (regardless of reason), countries like the US and Canada need to protect whales better from human industry.

Look how nice this big guy is being. He could kill these divers just by 'yelling' at them.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Roast goose is great. I don't think that canada goose is the regular eating goose over here.

I'm guessing taste is only part of the reason there.

I looked it up, the French goose I was thinking of is called a Toulouse. Basically a traditional French variety noted for being on the fatty side. If you're into roasting, looks like the Toulouse goose has the juice for yous.

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Roast goose is great. I don't think that canada goose is the regular eating goose over here.
I've yet to have a good tasting goose. They always taste like spoiled duck that was force-fed liver it's entire life. I think I've made 5 of them in my life...the best one came out "ok". :(

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski