Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2298 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Around here and virtually everywhere I've ever visited every house has both.

Right, that's always been the norm around my parts, from houses that were old to modern construction; doorknob with basic lock, and deadbolt. To the point that I've been exceptionally annoyed that my front door is a level-type main action, and the single lock being a separate deadbolt.

This style of combo:
deadbolt.png

And I hate it, hate hate hate. The thumb level sometimes sticks and you have to finagle the whole handle & door combo to let the level depress fully. Especially annoying when hands are full. lol

Knob locks with a secondary locking mechanism, such as a deadbolt, are actually an excellent combo, and I miss them. The biggest benefit with a knob-lock and deadbolt combo, you don't always need to have the main lock engaged, as you aren't feeling a need for heightened security. So, you leave the deadbolt unlocked but the knob-lock engaged. It still requires a modicum of effort on the part of an assailant, and yet you can still open the door with no effort, just twist the knob. No reaching for and twisting the deadbolt, just... open it, really it's quite wonderful.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Not worthless if it's impossible to lock yourself out and it forces you to remember to lock your door when leaving. That's the style we have (to complement the fiberglass door) and don't mind it.

RhZ8iQO.jpg

The spring did break after 7 years though. If it's sticking, I think you need a name-brand at least, so the quality is better.

Frankly I've been trying to get my wife to go to the keypad deadbolt. I hate hate hate hate keys. No key needed for the car - stays in the pocket. Wish the same case for getting in the house. All the styles are still too ugly though.

As for the knob style - I don't want to get locked out accidentally - it's happened with my interior doors like my office & basement. At least with my office it just has the flathead keyhole.

Right, that's always been the norm around my parts, from houses that were old to modern construction; doorknob with basic lock, and deadbolt. To the point that I've been exceptionally annoyed that my front door is a level-type main action, and the single lock being a separate deadbolt.

This style of combo:
deadbolt.png

And I hate it, hate hate hate. The thumb level sometimes sticks and you have to finagle the whole handle & door combo to let the level depress fully. Especially annoying when hands are full. lol

Knob locks with a secondary locking mechanism, such as a deadbolt, are actually an excellent combo, and I miss them. The biggest benefit with a knob-lock and deadbolt combo, you don't always need to have the main lock engaged, as you aren't feeling a need for heightened security. So, you leave the deadbolt unlocked but the knob-lock engaged. It still requires a modicum of effort on the part of an assailant, and yet you can still open the door with no effort, just twist the knob. No reaching for and twisting the deadbolt, just... open it, really it's quite wonderful.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
You know, that is the one benefit that I forgot to consider - I can't lock the door unless I have my keys with me, and that's quite helpful. My patio back door only has a knob lock, but it's a rare type that will not open the door if the lock is engaged. I've never seen that on a door knob before. Thus, it's the worst of both worlds lol, with the one benefit being that I cannot lock myself out. But I seriously need to change that.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You guys should love the ones that will let you turn the inside knob while locked but not the outside. #1 best way to end up in the yard in your undies.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Not worthless if it's impossible to lock yourself out and it forces you to remember to lock your door when leaving.

I have literally never locked myself out of my house. I used to keep a spare key in one of those burry a key in the garden things but after going forever and not needing it I dug it up and put it in a drawer.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
A beached whale surrounded by scavengers/predators?

Take a walk in the woods or something. It'll blow your mind.
No shit. I was just wondering if it was something that was recent with all of the hurricanes we have had.

Get off the computer. It'll blow your mind.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I have literally never locked myself out of my house. I used to keep a spare key in one of those burry a key in the garden things but after going forever and not needing it I dug it up and put it in a drawer.

Well it's not like I'm saying everyone who has one of those will. The potential is there for anyone to easily do so and when it happens, it's 1 time too many. Imagine if it were still that easy with car doors. That changed for a reason too - even my wife's Hyundai won't let her do it.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
We leave one on the back porch for convenience. The kid started using it instead of the one on the key ring in his hand (no idea why) and he would put it on the kitchen counter. Last month, we rolled in at 1AM from CO. The wife doesn't have a house key on her ring (again, no idea why). My keys were in the house because there was no reason to haul them to CO and back. So I'm using my phone flashlight, banging on his bedroom window trying to wake him up. He hasn't brought the key inside since.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
We leave one on the back porch for convenience. The kid started using it instead of the one on the key ring in his hand (no idea why) and he would put it on the kitchen counter. Last month, we rolled in at 1AM from CO. The wife doesn't have a house key on her ring (again, no idea why). My keys were in the house because there was no reason to haul them to CO and back. So I'm using my phone flashlight, banging on his bedroom window trying to wake him up. He hasn't brought the key inside since.

Yeah, he was probably more worried that he'd smell your booze on his breath or notice that he was still drunk than about the key.