Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2058 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I miss firefly... screw the people who didn't watch it and contributed to it demise...

BqNIMp1.jpg

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
the-uss-ronald-reagan-transports-sailors-vehicles.jpg

Umm.... why does an aircraft carrier transport sailors' vehicles? o_O

(Presumably a photo op thing...? Who's liable if there's a fire and all the cars have to go overboard?)

I googled "aircraft carrier transporting cars," and the result? The ship was moving to a new home port, where it would undergo maintenance/upgrades and the Sailors assigned to the ship would be making the new port their home. It was a 1200 mile move up the coast, so it was more cost efficient to transport that way as opposed to paying all the Sailors to make the trip on their own and reimburse them.

edit: linky

also - there are only two other options: contract another ship to move a mass number of vehicles, or arrange for other transportation methods, usually means having the individuals arrange transport on their own and reimbursement them. This would be by far the cheapest option. Sure, it is not without risk, but the other ship method, likely still cheaper than individual arrangements, would carry the same risk.

In the event of some major disaster that would see the government having to reimburse for the vehicles, I'm sure that would be a very minor sum to tack on to the total bill for repair and cleanup in the first place.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
I googled "aircraft carrier transporting cars," and the result? The ship was moving to a new home port, where it would undergo maintenance/upgrades and the Sailors assigned to the ship would be making the new port their home. It was a 1200 mile move up the coast, so it was more cost efficient to transport that way as opposed to paying all the Sailors to make the trip on their own and reimburse them.

edit: linky

also - there are only two other options: contract another ship to move a mass number of vehicles, or arrange for other transportation methods, usually means having the individuals arrange transport on their own and reimbursement them. This would be by far the cheapest option. Sure, it is not without risk, but the other ship method, likely still cheaper than individual arrangements, would carry the same risk.

In the event of some major disaster that would see the government having to reimburse for the vehicles, I'm sure that would be a very minor sum to tack on to the total bill for repair and cleanup in the first place.

Huh. Makes sense.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
And a hearse would be black.

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=tricked+out+hearse&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim4snsm5vMAhWNW44KHe6mBwIQ_AUIBygB&biw=375&bih=559

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Never take a long bus ride in Thailand. They drive like maniacs. No regard for human life. They have one of the highest road death rates in the world.

0c0008eefd0acf841ab79cb0f4d2e47a.jpg

6b4954a1ce59c463c80a494b717153b7.jpg

Not really, from what we saw when we took a 4-city tour via bus for a week. We didn't see anything crazy either, like pedestrians dodging hordes of motorcycles like in other asian countries.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
25426-dyv5qg.jpg
I laughed because it took me a full 30 seconds to see what it was

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
25426-dyv5qg.jpg
I laughed because it took me a full 30 seconds to see what it was

I had to stare for a good while, and resort to cheating with google.

It truly is one of the best of those "once you see it..." images lol
Definitely can't unsee it now. Very fine work!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I had to stare for a good while, and resort to cheating with google.

It truly is one of the best of those "once you see it..." images lol
Definitely can't unsee it now. Very fine work!
I gave up on it until I read your post and I saw it immediately. Weird how the mind works.