Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 760 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Still going with the 6 foot long 80lb spinning steel scythe. The guy is just lucky he was only grazed by that. If it hit him right, it could have decapitated him or just crushed his skull.

Would you rather be standing behind a gun or in front it when it goes off? The force is the same on both sides.

Similarly, it's better to be hit by bowling ball going 5mph than a bullet going 2000mph. In the case of the video, the energy stored up in the rope is the same whether it takes the bumper with it or not. With the added mass of the bumper it's moving much slower which reduces the chances of a catastrophic injury.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
A Papa John's near where I live had this "special" listed on their sign for quite a while (perhaps a year, if not longer), which I had noticed multiple times, so I was familiar with it. I got this capture of it from Google maps street view:

A79CwyF.png

So, they updated the sign somewhat recently, which now includes a "FREE" soda. I find the addition pretty amusing:

BNGmD3D.png

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
A Papa John's near where I live had this "special" listed on their sign for quite a while (perhaps a year, if not longer), which I had noticed multiple times, so I was familiar with it. I got this capture of it from Google maps street view:

A79CwyF.png

So, they updated the sign somewhat recently, which now includes a "FREE" soda. I find the addition pretty amusing:

BNGmD3D.png

so basically its 2$ for the soda?

XD
XD

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Would you rather be standing behind a gun or in front it when it goes off? The force is the same on both sides.

Similarly, it's better to be hit by bowling ball going 5mph than a bullet going 2000mph. In the case of the video, the energy stored up in the rope is the same whether it takes the bumper with it or not. With the added mass of the bumper it's moving much slower which reduces the chances of a catastrophic injury.

Experiment- get a rubber band. Pull back a few inches and thwack yourself with it. Then...

you're done. You deserved that. :p

A bumper being violently ripped off is not the same as a rope breaking.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
It takes about a month of training to get a class B license. I don't know about class A, but I assume it'll be a little bit longer. You can't just show up to DMV and get a commercial vehicle license.

Actually...

Back in 1995, I took my CDL A exam at Wilhelm Trucking, in Portland, OR. They were a certified third party tester for the DMV. I arrived, took the truck out with the instructor for about 30 minutes as prep time (I paid extra for this), then he said, "The exam begins now.". We started driving around Portland, left turn here, right turn there. RR crossing, hills (up and down), freeway, two lane roads. We went back to the yard. I showed him a basic pre-trip exam. Got a 97% and my CDL.

It cost me about $350, IIRC.

My point is: if I thought I had the skill, I could just show up at a place like this, rent the truck for a bit, then take the driving test. Which I did. Prior to that day, I had my class A permit and maybe five hours behind the wheel.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I've barely ever skied, but I would venture a guess that his biggest mistake was getting ANY air with beginner bindings? Looks like the skis popped right off on impact, as AFAIK they are designed to do to keep people like me from breaking my legs in fifteen places.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
That's about how well I jump, so I learned to keep the skis close to the snow :p

the key: he had no pop

most jump landing zones are designed on the jumper having the knowledge to POP, as in, "wind up" the jump motion.

That skier just sort of flopped off the jump (graceful trajectory, but it was effortless).