Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 453 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I don't see you arguing again having WiFi in a smartphone. :rolleyes: When you facetiously ask if you really want to be plugging your phone in when you get in and out, you forget that that is exactly what you are doing with the AUX jack alternative and exactly what you do not have to do with Bluetooth.
I've had bluetooth for over 5 years now - I'm pretty familiar with what it can do. Wifi and 4G settings on my phone only go on when I need it while I'm out. Bluetooth is left on the entire time in case of incoming or outgoing calls. Hence the battery drain problem. I mentioned the ipod is left in the car and already in the aux jack. I don't re-plug that except for maybe once or twice a week for charging in the house.

Bluetooth has a good upside, but it's main problem, and my main point, is that it's not good enough to be on all the time, and it needs to be for its intended purpose. Your solution is to keep it plugged in... a wireless, portable phone plugged in and out - not so great.

Last edited:

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
Wifi and 4G settings on my phone only go on when I need it while I'm out. Bluetooth is left on the entire time in case of incoming or outgoing calls. Hence the battery drain problem. I mentioned the ipod is left in the car and already in the aux jack. I don't re-plug that except for maybe once or twice a week for charging in the house.

Bluetooth is good in theory but it's main problem, and my main point, is that it's not good enough to be on all the time, and it needs to be for its intended purpose. Your solution is to keep it plugged in... a wireless, portable phone plugged in - not so great.

Hhmygod take it elsewhere. Nobody cares about Bluetooth. We're talking about boners. Whip it out and snap a pic or leave!

park-boner.jpg

http://www.awkwardboners.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wrestling1.jpg
NSFW, obviously. Hahahaha

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
And in walks boner kill...

Or, boner enhancer. Someone with the right software can take my suggestion and fix it.

Wifi and 4G settings on my phone only go on when I need it while I'm out. Bluetooth is left on the entire time in case of incoming or outgoing calls. Hence the battery drain problem. I mentioned the ipod is left in the car and already in the aux jack. I don't re-plug that except for maybe once or twice a week for charging in the house.

Bluetooth is good in theory but it's main problem, and my main point, is that it's not good enough to be on all the time, and it needs to be for its intended purpose. Your solution is to keep it plugged in... a wireless, portable phone plugged in and out - not so great.

You CONTINUE to compare irrelevant applications. How is using it with your stereo IN THE CAR while on charge "all the time?!" You can turn it off when you leave just as easily as WiFi. Got it?

Also, leaving it on is not the same as using it at all times. My Bluetooth wristwatch lasts two months between charges.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Or, boner enhancer. Someone with the right software can take my suggestion and fix it.

You CONTINUE to compare irrelevant applications. How is using it with your stereo IN THE CAR while on charge "all the time?!" You can turn it off when you leave just as easily as WiFi. Got it?

Also, leaving it on is not the same as using it at all times. My Bluetooth wristwatch lasts two months between charges.

I use my iPhone w/ Bluetooth. Only plug-in the charge cable. I use Bluetooth all day long and battery is still much better than most Android phones.

iPod in the car should definitely use a dock that charges all the time. Even though the dock would probably include a 3.5mm output, I'd still rather use the Bluetooth feature of my iPod Touch because music controls work (Next, Prev, Play/Pause, activate voice control, etc).

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

Also, leaving it on is not the same as using it at all times. My Bluetooth watch lasts two months between charges.

Why are you comparing it to a watch? A smartphone lasts a day on avg and that's without BT on. I'm not using it with the stereo - it's not connected to any wires and charging. I don't want that, at all. If I leave the house at only 40% battery to start with, and I decide I want BT in the car for the phone, I have to consciously turn it on and off or risk having no phone to use by 3pm. That's a pain in and of itself. Bluetooth could stand to be better by using less power so I can leave it on all day, connect to anything I come in contact with during the day, and not need to worry about flipping it on or off except at night and in the morning. JUST LIKE THE PHONE ITSELF.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Why are you comparing it to a watch? A smartphone lasts a day on avg and that's without BT on. I'm not using it with the stereo - it's not connected to any wires and charging. I don't want that, at all. If I leave the house at only 40% battery to start with, and I decide I want BT in the car for the phone, I have to consciously turn it on and off or risk having no phone to use by 3pm. That's a pain in and of itself. Bluetooth could stand to be better by using less power so I can leave it on all day and not worry about flipping it on or off except at night and in the morning. JUST LIKE THE PHONE ITSELF.

I almost always leave the house with 100% power. Minimum 70% if I'd been using the phone heavily and couldn't charge while using. Since I also use Bluetooth at home, the phone usually charges even when I DO use it heavily before leaving!

In the car, it charges some more (and the charger is the only cord I connect). I have docks, but I haven't bothered to find a good place for one.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Why are you comparing it to a watch? A smartphone lasts a day on avg and that's without BT on. I'm not using it with the stereo - it's not connected to any wires and charging. I don't want that, at all. If I leave the house at only 40% battery to start with, and I decide I want BT in the car for the phone, I have to consciously turn it on and off or risk having no phone to use by 3pm. That's a pain in and of itself. Bluetooth could stand to be better by using less power so I can leave it on all day, connect to anything I come in contact with during the day, and not need to worry about flipping it on or off except at night and in the morning. JUST LIKE THE PHONE ITSELF.

You are hopeless. We were SPECIFICALLY talking about using it with a stereo and NOTHING ELSE specifically as an alternative to a wire in the AUX jack. FOLLOW.

I wanted the aux jack in the '90s. Yours is missing something: Bluetooth logo.

I'm not using it with the stereo - it's not connected to any wires and charging.
You opened your mouth and took the wrong side of an argument no one was arguing and that was completely irrelevant. How is an AUX cable not "any wire?" As for my watch, it connects to my phone and has a BT radio. It obviously goes to show just how little power an idle BT radio uses even when left enabled. The watch was made in 2007 (MBW-150) and uses none of the fancy new low power technologies.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Who would've thought Bluetooth would be such serious fucking business? The interwebz is crazy, need a bulletproof vest up in here.

They need more than a hug, I suspect a lay may also help calm them.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
On the topic of blue tooth I did a report in college on future technologies that were in the pipeline but not yet commercialized. I think Blue Tooth was the only one to make it. Virtual Optical Keyboards and Hypersonic Sound haven't made a breakthrough last I checked.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The movie industry was already dead - VCRs utterly and completely destroyed it, remember? Just like the MPAA said they would.

:hmm:

"Oh no! A new distribution method! It's the end of the world! Everyone....we're.......huh, this is actually extremely profitable. Can we patent this?"

Last edited: